Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres German release< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 12:38

It's been announced that Music Of The Spheres will be released in Germany on November 9th - three days before the UK release. The album will be released only on CD in Germany, not on USB stick.

Universal will be presenting the album at the Yellow Lounge event, associated with the trade fair Popkomm, at the Tape club in Berlin on September 18th. The event starts at 9pm, entry is 5 euros and it appears to be open to the public (though please check this for yourselves before travelling). The album will be played by a DJ; Mike Oldfield will not be appearing.
Tape is at 14 Heidestraße in Moabit (just north of Berlin Hauptbahnhof).

Update 19/9/07 - Mike made a surprise 5 minute appearance to answer questions. He hinted that he may consider doing more classical albums.

Thanks, Tubular World and Tati the Sentinel
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 12:47

Presentation almost 2 months ahead of album release?  Sounds as Universal have big plans with this album... or perhaps this is how it is done these days?
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 13:20

Quote (gbcrvh @ Sep. 11 2007, 12:47)
Presentation almost 2 months ahead of album release?  Sounds as Universal have big plans with this album... or perhaps this is how it is done these days?

I am clueless when it comes to the marketing/promotion/business side. I usually don't concern myself over such things, but it's certainly interesting to see how it's all unfolding. I'm also curious about the reason for an earlier release in Germany, and what a "presentation event" consists of. I'm imagining something like a press conference but with hanging celestial mobiles and trays of melon balls being passed while photographers crowd 'round a big white clothed table bearing a single CD case.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 13:25

Germany has been,after Spain,a special market for Mike nowadays,even bigger than in the UK.During the 80's,Mike's success there was great,like it is in Spain now.

Korgie,do you know on which label of Universal Classics the album is going to be released?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 14:06

will it be some release of singel this time? "On my heart" maybe?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 14:17

What I was wondering was actually following - if during presentation promo copy would be released to closed public for listening does it make sense to do it now?  I guess there must be some way/plan of feeding the audience to close the gap between presentation and actual release.  Perhaps there is going to be video project of MOTS too :D

I still keep wondering how much of material has been used for this album.  Was it clear idea from start to the end and boom - there it is or is it just a new beginning?  Mike seems to be thrilled by the work so I expect much more from this (as I said, new beginning).
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 14:44

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 11 2007, 13:25)
Germany has been,after Spain,a special market for Mike nowadays,even bigger than in the UK.During the 80's,Mike's success there was great,like it is in Spain now.

Thanks, Tati - I didn't know that. As an American, I feel out of the loop in some ways. Thank goodness for Tubular.net.

Quote (gbcrvh @ Sep. 11 2007, 14:17)
Perhaps there is going to be video project of MOTS too

:O  This possibility has me all aflutter. I'm going to have some green tea to calm down.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 14:58

What I've understood(without translator) from this website here was that a DJ is going to play the album(a DJ who plays classical music,guess what! )

Seems interesting...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 16:06

My guess is the record company know this time around they've got something special on their hands with MOTS that they can market. If its marketed right MOTS could really be a big seller for the end of the year, I can imagine On My Heart being played non stop on classic FM here in the UK as well as tracks like The Tempest and Musica Universalis. Although it would be typical if all the all the radio play attention went to Harbinger simply because it sounds like Tubular Bells. Seriously though if Mike does a big live performance of this and they heavily market it across Europe it could be a well deserved success for him.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 16:13

It seems to be a regular series of events - Yellow Lounge - where they hold classical music evenings in clubs. It seems like anyone can go along - I've edited the original post to reflect that.

According to Tubular World, there will be no singles and no premiere concert. I'll check to see if we can get some more information on that.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 17:40

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 11 2007, 16:13)
Yellow Lounge - where they hold classical music evenings in clubs.

Ah. So, high balls rather than melon balls?

--------------
Profile PM 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 17:40

No USB stick release in Germany. Not that this should bother anyone who gives a rats ass about sound quality. But are there no plans for any vinyl release of the album? AFAIK, there hasn't been one since TB2 and I love my LPs It'd be a way to get me to buy 2 copies of the album. Even better if its a really good pressing and a separate mastering done by one of the name recording mastering engineers.

--------------
http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Dougmac21
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 18:11

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 11 2007, 18:06)
My guess is the record company know this time around they've got something special on their hands with MOTS that they can market. If its marketed right MOTS could really be a big seller for the end of the year, I can imagine On My Heart being played non stop on classic FM here in the UK as well as tracks like The Tempest and Musica Universalis. Although it would be typical if all the all the radio play attention went to Harbinger simply because it sounds like Tubular Bells. Seriously though if Mike does a big live performance of this and they heavily market it across Europe it could be a well deserved success for him.

...and if MOTS does well,Mike can think again about not getting retired,I do hope so!

Quote (Duggeh @ Sep. 11 2007, 19:40)
But are there no plans for any vinyl release of the album? AFAIK, there hasn't been one since TB2 and I love my LPs It'd be a way to get me to buy 2 copies of the album. Even better if its a really good pressing and a separate mastering done by one of the name recording mastering engineers.

IMHO,classical music on LP sounds much better than on CD.And MOTS fits well on LP,regarding to its length.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 18:15

Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 11 2007, 20:06)
will it be some release of singel this time? "On my heart" maybe?

No usb-stick, no single release, no vinyl and no premiere concert is planned!

:/
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 18:36

lets hope he change his mind :D
i really hope he tour, please  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 19:11

hard to tour with a full orchestra! Much easier for me to get to Berlin though...

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 19:35

Quote (olracUK @ Sep. 11 2007, 21:11)
hard to tour with a full orchestra! Much easier for me to get to Berlin though...

Or hire a local good orchestra,why not?

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 03:32

But didn't Mike tour with an orchestra only last year? I think a tour like the 99 one is out of the question but he could at least do some live dates. I reckon the plan will be to see how well the album does, if it sells well and is generally well received he may give it a go.
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 09:07

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 12 2007, 05:32)
But didn't Mike tour with an orchestra only last year?

That orchestra is from Night of the Proms,and they're busy with other local NOTP concerts around Europe.Dunno if it is avaiable other dates,so they can play with Mike.

What Mike can do is to get in touch with some local orchestras,show off MOTS and try to play with them,to see if they pass on the Mike Oldfield's Quality Control,and then arrange a date where both can play the piece for us live! In this particular case,only Mike and his personal crew would be travelling from city to city,instead of Mike + a full orchestra like he did in 1979.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 11:54

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 12 2007, 15:07)
That orchestra is from Night of the Proms,and they're busy with other local NOTP concerts around Europe.Dunno if it is avaiable other dates,so they can play with Mike.

Il Novecento (the NOTP orchestra) is preparing now for NOTP season 2007, which starts in October, with artists like Chic (Belgium), OMD (Belgium, Holland), Macy Gray (Belgium, Holland), Soulsister (Belgium, Germany), Roby Lakatos (B,H,G), John Miles (B,H,G), Donna Summer (Holland), Di-rect (Holland), PUR (Germany), Paul Carrack (Germany), I Muvrini (Germany)...
But the France part of the NOTP-tour in march doesn't continue in 2008, so they will have some time to fill in, before the Spain part

Go Mike go... :D

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
36 replies since Sep. 11 2007, 12:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net