Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres EPK download< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
3Wheeler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 12:03

I Havent Heard the thing yet .. But its mostly Good Vibes... So only about 6 Weeks and Counting...... I reckon its a Gamble on the Xmas Markets as I guess Classical Albums Slow Burn in the Charts Longer than the Pop Version..It must Chart Highly I reckon !! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 12:04

In the EPK there is a very brief clip of Lang Lang playing. It looks like a promotional video, with a fancy set. So looks like there will be video for the Music TV channels.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 12:14

Quote (olracUK @ Sep. 26 2007, 17:04)
In the EPK there is a very brief clip of Lang Lang playing. It looks like a promotional video, with a fancy set. So looks like there will be video for the Music TV channels.

That was another concern I had about the EPK. It doesn't look to me like that video is of Lang Lang playing Music of the Spheres but rather some stock footage of him playing something else while MOTS is overlaid as the audio layer. If that is the case I thought it was a slightly cheeky thing for the video producers to do...

Maybe the only footage of Lang Lang playing MOTS shows him with a bored face ;)

Deary me I'm in a paranoid mood at the moment!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 12:17

Quote (olracUK @ Sep. 26 2007, 12:04)

I think the part they included of Lang Lang has actually nothing to do with MOTS. It seems as a totally separate piece from some other video that they just included here. As far as I understand, Lang Lang's part was not recorded in Abbey Road, so there simply might not be same kind of material available as with e.g. Hayley Westenra (and oh my, she IS beautiful in addition to having a beautiful voice!  :cool: )

Edit: Ah, Matt was 3 mins quicker...  :)
Profile PM 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 13:51

Quote (Navaira @ Sep. 26 2007, 11:05)
I think you are reading far too much from this bit. It sounds to me like Mike had ideas, but couldn't connect them together, so he went to Karl who did it and that's about it...

That sounds strange. Think about albums like Amarok; it is full of small pieces and musical ideas which Mike cleverly connected together to create a masterpiece. Would this mean that he has lost his ability to creatively connect bits of music together to create a longer composition?
Or does Karl refer to some ideas about orchestration? His comments sounded a bit strange to me as well. It would have been interesting to hear them discuss their collaboration in more detail.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 14:25

I think people are reading far far to much into what Karl Jenkine's said. In no way is he having a go at Mike when he says he only had 'fragments' of Mike's ideas. Firstly and most importantly its a completely different ball game when you're dealing with an orchestra. Mike's a talented musician but he obviously has next to no experience  conducting and arranging a full orchestra. Secondly believe it or not a lot of bands and artists start a project with mere 'fragments' of ideas. Part of the job of a good producer/collaborator/arranger is to help guide and shape those ideas into finished tracks. Its obviously even more the case when Mike's dealing with a form of music by his own admission he's no expert at.

As for the Lang Lang clip - big deal, he's based in New York and they couldn't be bothered nor afford to fly over there for the sheer sake of getting a small clip for a small promo video. Of course they'd choose to use stock footage. It makes sense, its not cheeky in the slightest.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 15:39

One thought I've had: perhaps Jenkins expected the album to be credited to Mike Oldfield & Karl Jenkins?

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 15:42

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 26 2007, 19:25)
I think people are reading far far to much into what Karl Jenkine's said. In no way is he having a go at Mike when he says he only had 'fragments' of Mike's ideas. Firstly and most importantly its a completely different ball game when you're dealing with an orchestra. Mike's a talented musician but he obviously has next to no experience  conducting and arranging a full orchestra. Secondly believe it or not a lot of bands and artists start a project with mere 'fragments' of ideas. Part of the job of a good producer/collaborator/arranger is to help guide and shape those ideas into finished tracks. Its obviously even more the case when Mike's dealing with a form of music by his own admission he's no expert at.

As for the Lang Lang clip - big deal, he's based in New York and they couldn't be bothered nor afford to fly over there for the sheer sake of getting a small clip for a small promo video. Of course they'd choose to use stock footage. It makes sense, its not cheeky in the slightest.

Cue pantomime voice "Ooooh yes it iiiiiis" ;)

Maybe all of the recent cases (in the UK at least) of audiences being duped by fake or misleadingly edited footage has made me oversensitive. The video clearly tries to portray a blissful Lang Lang playing MOTS as though he thought it was a beautiful piece. Is that in fact what he thought or just clever (misleading) advertising by careful video editing. Just because it is inevitable these days that they would do this doesn't make it right.

I would like to know what Karl Jenkins, Lang Lang and Hayley Westenra *really* think of MOTS. Hopefully all good and enthusiastic thoughts like most people here (including me, I LOVE it).

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ronniethepict Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 17:56

Sorry folks, but the album has Tubular Bells structure and sound most of the way through - even down to the end of side one introduction of instruments (without commentary this time)...climaxing with....tubular bells.....again!

It also borrows heavily from Tub 2, Incantations and Ommadawn.  
I found Mike's guitar playing to be pretty mediocre I'm afraid.

Sorry to be a bit negative  :/
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 18:38

Quote (ronniethepict @ Sep. 26 2007, 23:56)
Sorry folks, but the album has Tubular Bells structure and sound most of the way through - even down to the end of side one introduction of instruments (without commentary this time)...climaxing with....tubular bells.....again!

For me, that means he was brave enough to give completely himself, letting the music come out naturally from/through him, maybe with a bit of intention for Music of the Spheres to be recognized as an Oldfield album. It certainly has its very own, unique qualities just waiting for being appreciated. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 19:38

Quote (Matt @ Sep. 26 2007, 20:42)
Maybe all of the recent cases (in the UK at least) of audiences being duped by fake or misleadingly edited footage has made me oversensitive. The video clearly tries to portray a blissful Lang Lang playing MOTS as though he thought it was a beautiful piece. Is that in fact what he thought or just clever (misleading) advertising by careful video editing. Just because it is inevitable these days that they would do this doesn't make it right.

All that's happened recently is that a few boundaries have been overstepped and things have gone a bit too far. I can say as someone who works fairly regularly in television that it in no way portrays reality - it portrays what the programme makers feel the viewers will accept as reality.
I would say almost for certain that you'll find that at least half of those shots were of the musicians playing different parts of the piece to what they appear to be playing. It doesn't matter...it fits with the music and the suggestion that they're playing what you're hearing is believable. The very fact that it's been edited makes it highly biased - there were probably loads of moments when the musicians were sat around doing nothing, perhaps a few conversations between a few of them about how they didn't like the music and wished they were recording another Mozart album, no doubt the odd disagreement in the control room and all sorts of other things which they don't show. The director has gone in there and told the story which Universal wants to be told. It's a promotional video commissioned by marketing men, not the absolute truth. It may not make it right, but absolutely every piece of film or video you see has a degree of this going on.

I could give an example of something I put together fairly recently. It was all shot by myself and so using only one camera. Some of the sequences were of things which were repeated several times, so I shot from a different angle each time then edited those together so it appeared as if they were all part of the same take, just seen from different angles. My finished sequences did not show the absolute truth, but they were more interesting than a single take shot from one place. A great deal of films and music videos are shot in the same way. It's not showing the absolute truth, but it creates an end product which still adheres to the director's vision of how the event portrayed should be seen. That's all you ever get - what one person (or perhaps a few people) thinks is right; perhaps you'll even know how it is, if you've been to an event with friends and they start telling people afterwards about what happened, and you step in to say "No, it wasn't like that at all...". Then comes the argument where it turns out that each of you have seen things rather differently. That's the basic problem of any kind of journalism - even the people who think they are telling the truth aren't giving the whole picture. Of course that's a bit different to 'creative' editing of footage but really in this case...it's a promo video, and I think considering that Lang Lang played on the album, editing a promo of Lang Lang into a promo for Music of the Spheres isn't a huge crime.

Regarding how Lang Lang looks...I can guarantee that if he'd been there and had looked like he'd not been enjoying it, they'd have asked him to do another take and told him to look more blissful (or they'd have picked out a few bits of a long take where he looked blissful even if he hadn't looked that for most of it). Videos and films are like that. Watch them, enjoy them, take them for what they are and be critical of them. Watching them, even if unedited, is no way the same as being there...and being there is not the same as being someone else and being there (not that it's possible...yet :D).
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 20:14

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 26 2007, 21:25)
Firstly and most importantly its a completely different ball game when you're dealing with an orchestra. Mike's a talented musician but he obviously has next to no experience  conducting and arranging a full orchestra.

My thouhgts exactly.
No matter how talented you are, you can't know the dynamics of an orchestra, not before you have experience.
One must know exactly how many violins(or whatever instruments) there must be in order to sound good with other instruments, and you need to tell them how to play, piano or fortissimo, or something in between. instruments shouldn't be too loud or quiet in proportion to other instruments. Here we have a big orchestra playing together, a piece must be arranged and conducted in a way the composer intented, and this is where KJ comes in, imho.

This brings me to another point, it sounds like Mike has crancked up the volume of his guitar so that it sounds loud enough, which is understandable - I just think it might be one of the reasons for not playing MOTS live.
Profile PM 
adler Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 15:50

Quote (HuanCry @ Sep. 25 2007, 13:37)
Better Quality downloadable version:-

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LRH4VTPA

Neil  :)

P.S. Found via the Spanish fan site:-                    

http://www.lacoctelera.com/mikeoldfield ..

Can anyone put the file in another site other than megaupload.com ?
It's almost impossible here in Brazil to download the file for free. The server is always busy.

tks for any help,

Roberto
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 18:24

Quote (adler @ Sep. 27 2007, 17:50)
Quote (HuanCry @ Sep. 25 2007, 13:37)
Better Quality downloadable version:-

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LRH4VTPA

Neil  :)

P.S. Found via the Spanish fan site:-                    

http://www.lacoctelera.com/mikeoldfield ..

Can anyone put the file in another site other than megaupload.com ?
It's almost impossible here in Brazil to download the file for free. The server is always busy.

tks for any help,

Roberto

Same problem here!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 18:52

Here we go again. Youve seen the clip, now its...Karl Jenkins isnt happy, Lang Lang isnt happy...what do they really think of MOTS!!!! Issues over fragments that Karl Jenkins has to work with!!!!

Then theres some of you who have downloaded the full album giving your views. Wht not wait until it released LEGALLY before downloading substandard and inferior copies or the recordings. Isnt it people downloading who are not giving up and coming musicians the chance, you know those who work night and day to get somewhere and when they are about to reap the rewards, everyone downloads their work depriving them of royalties etc...

Back to Mike... I dont think any of the guest performers appear to be unhapppy in the clips i have seen, unless of course some of you have downloaded more illegal material!!!

Soz but i am so brassed off with some people tonight!! Apologies to all now.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 04:15

Quote (ronniethepict @ Sep. 26 2007, 22:56)
Sorry folks, but the album has Tubular Bells structure and sound most of the way through

These so-called geniuses, eh? Listening to Mozart's 40th symphony this morning, and thinking 'oh, here we go again': first theme, bridge passage, second theme - same old tired formula of sonata form; wait for it - yeah, here comes the obligatory development section ... yawn.

And as for the sound - same old violins, flutes etc. Usual predictable orchestral effects. Makes you tired, doesn't it? If only these guys had some imagination....
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 08:44

Quote (Ratty @ Sep. 27 2007, 18:52)
Then theres some of you who have downloaded the full album giving your views. Wht not wait until it released LEGALLY before downloading substandard and inferior copies or the recordings. Isnt it people downloading who are not giving up and coming musicians the chance, you know those who work night and day to get somewhere and when they are about to reap the rewards, everyone downloads their work depriving them of royalties etc...

Interesting how point of views change. I confess I know very little about the "business" side of music, but heck, if people were showing this much interest about my album way before its release, I'd be damn proud. Besides, it wouldn't be a crazy guess to say, um, 80% of people here who have downloaded the "illegal" recording and liked it are definitely going to buy the album when it comes out. As for those 20% who didn't like it, do you find it fair that people have to spend their own money on something they eventually won't like? :) As for those who downloaded the album and are not going to buy it, I doubt they'd buy it anyway even if it hadn't leaked. They'd just have to wait a bit longer before taking it from the intrawebs. The music industry is changing. Those who adapt prosper, and the others fall behind. The world has been like that for millennia. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 11:30

I'm a bit naive when it comes to recording, producing, mixing albums so i thought i'd ask this question.

There's talk on here that Lang Lang recorded his parts separately so i was wondering if anyone knows whether Mike did the same with his Guitar parts?  I thought it would be done with the orchestra, but now i'm not so sure.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 18:18

Yes, he did. Hayley Westenra was also recorded separately. It does make some sense to do it that way - it means you can get a good take from the orchestra, then work on getting a good take from the soloists (as opposed to hoping that they all give their best performance at the same time...and paying for them all until they manage it).
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2007, 19:33

A brand new video,featuring Mike showing off his home studio,thanks to www.mikeoldfield.it and Universal Music Italia:

http://www.mikeoldfield.it/mikeold....io_Tour

As well as a long version of Mike's interview for the MOTS EPK:
http://www.mikeoldfield.it/mikeold....ervista

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
42 replies since Sep. 25 2007, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net