[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres artwork< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 07:25

it is the best cover since Guitars.
(but without tb 2003 of course) because that is on my top 5!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 08:37

cool  :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 13:02

Quote (Tubularman @ Aug. 04 2007, 07:25)
it is the best cover since Guitars.
(but without tb 2003 of course) because that is on my top 5!

Tres Lunas was a far better cover than this new one I think, actually one of his better ones full stop (and I'm not just saying that because of the Tubular.net connection, it really was good) I'd prefer if this new cover had more of a 'classical' feel to, perhaps something more tradiotnal, I guess its trying to be contemporary.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 13:24

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 04 2007, 15:02)
I'd prefer if this new cover had more of a 'classical' feel to, perhaps something more tradiotnal, I guess its trying to be contemporary.

It's a bit too trendy for a classical album cover,IMHO.I love those covers from Deutsche Grammophone,typical classical ones.

Now we've got the cover...next the promo pictures...I'm quite anxious to see...a more mature Mike Oldfield please...no more that silly NOTP uniform,time to change a bit!

Meanwhile,I do hope to see an official premiere for MOTS,and to see Mike wearing at tux like the orchestra,that would be interesting

;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 14:45

The fact that the cover does not have a classical traditional feel gives me more hope ! ....I don't want a conformist pastiche of what has gone before where its hard to discern Mike's unique style

I want Mike to keep to his strength as a great innovator and produce something fresh and new as he did esp. in the 70s   ..the last page in Changeling summed up his hopes for a renaissance for PROGRESSIVE music ...whether he will do this via a classical path ...ONLY TIME WILL TELL !!

Neil
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 15:57

Quote (HuanCry @ Aug. 04 2007, 20:45)
The fact that the cover does not have a classical traditional feel gives me more hope ! ....I don't want a conformist pastiche of what has gone before where its hard to discern Mike's unique style

My thoughts exactly.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 16:55

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 04 2007, 19:24)
It's a bit too trendy for a classical album cover,IMHO.I love those covers from Deutsche Grammophone,typical classical ones.

Yes, sure it may be a little inappropriate for a classical album, especially if compared with the old-fashioned but firmly estabilished template of DGG's covers. But this is not just a classical album... it's a Mike Oldfield classical album. :p :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 18:02

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 03 2007, 08:13)
I do kind of agree with those who say the cover looks a bit like a GCSE or A level physics text book cover.

Some A level physics books have a better cover than "MotS"...

Just see this one

:laugh:

I hope this cover is a fake, though. Anyone with some time on his hands and a 3D software (and some ability, but not too much) could do the same thing. You place spheres in the 3D environment, with some lighting effetcs and here it is.

Well... it doesn't matter as much as the music anyway.

Ommadawn's cover isn't particularly brilliant either. But the music is wonderful.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 18:13

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 04 2007, 13:02)
I guess its trying to be contemporary.

Looks as contemporary as this one (album released in 1983):

Or this one (classical album by Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks)

Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 18:22

Wow, they're remarkably similar! I know the Tony Banks one, and like it very much (the cover, that is - the music is exactly what I hope MotS is not like), but that is weird with the similarity between the two! Still like the Banks one better though. The Parsons one looks like an early draft of that.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 20:18

:/  Sorry Mike ! I couldn't resist !  :/

Not really well made but there's the idea !

Made with Paint.NET beta 3.10 ; the spheres are made with an internal  plugin called Shape 3D .

Just made for fun .

Music of the Tubular Spheres
Profile PM 
Robbie Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 05:43

Nice cover!

Looking forward this album!
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 08:40

Quote (Holger @ Aug. 04 2007, 18:22)
Wow, they're remarkably similar! I know the Tony Banks one, and like it very much (the cover, that is - the music is exactly what I hope MotS is not like), but that is weird with the similarity between the two! Still like the Banks one better though. The Parsons one looks like an early draft of that.

well they are actually paintings (or i-don't-know what other technique) by the same artist from which they chose their covers.  ;)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 12:38

Amazing. When Mike says "music of the spheres", he really MEANS it. Talk about taking a metaphor literally! If they're going towards that vein, the album could have been called "The Pot Calling the Kettle Black", or "Raining Cats and Dogs" to more amusing effect.

But seriously, now... I never thought I'd say something like this, but I find the Light Plus Shade cover way better than that. Some posters nailed it above - you could replace the lettering on the cover with "Know Your ZX Spectrum", or "Inside the Zilog Z80", and it would look really appropriate. As it is, though, it looks very much like a visual equivalent of Mike's toying around with state-of-the-art synthesizers. I won't say I could have done it better; I'm not that dumb. But as far as surrealism and imagery goes, Tubular Bells really puts this to shame.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 13:53

Light & Shade cover was very good. I would have prefered a photograph, even modified, to this a-level 3D "artwork".
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 19:56

Wow! At long last - I've been looking forward to this. Mike's album covers have often been something special, and MOTS is no exception!

Very cool... with a slight hint of TB  :cool:

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
tamas Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 06:22

I think it is the most horrible and amateurish M.O. cover I have ever seen. Too direct, too didactic, and very-very kitchy, just like the title of the album. It looks really like a cover of a pseudo-esotheric new-age book about the transportation of the cosmical energies between planets. I think it was made in Photoshop in no more than 5 minutes. I just hope the album will be much better and deeper!
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 06:45

Gotta admit I´m not very keen on this - this art-work gives me the impression that music can be put down to a certain formula or described as some sort of mathematical sentence which I believe is absolutely what M.O.´s music is NOT about.
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 06:49

sorry but i don't like it neither. I always found those 3D things made with computers outdated from the start, and I usually suspect these kind of covers are made when nobody comes up with a serious idea of artwork.
It lacks one or 2 guitars on top of it to look like a true 90's MO masterpiece ;)
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 07:54

i really do like the artwork for the new album, the artwork is not boring like the artwork for most classical albums.
:p  :p
Profile PM 
89 replies since Aug. 02 2007, 14:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net