Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres artwork< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 05:24

I like it, though the lighting on the foreground spheres doesn't seem to match with the glow being in the centre of the rings of spheres? Or is that just me being CGI-pedantic...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 06:45

I really appreciate the peek preview (is tubular.net becoming the official website?), but I have to say the cover is awful. It looks like an old screensaver.

But I don't mind. A good sleeve doesn't always equal a good record.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 07:06

Wow... Tubular Spheres :)  I like it!
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 08:13

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 03 2007, 06:45)
I really appreciate the peek preview (is tubular.net becoming the official website?), but I have to say the cover is awful. It looks like an old screensaver.

But I don't mind. A good sleeve doesn't always equal a good record.

I think Earth Moving proves your latter point bang on.

I do kind of agree with those who say the cover looks a bit like a GCSE or A level physics text book cover but album covers haven't always been Mike's strong point in my opinion. At least its not Voyager for example.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 08:22

Does nowt for me. Looks like a very dated cover for a Spectrum ZX81 computer bit of software.
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 08:23

but album covers haven't always been Mike's strong point in my opinion

Or his albums of late.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 08:24

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 03 2007, 14:13)
I do kind of agree with those who say the cover looks a bit like a GCSE or A level physics text book cover

Heh, well, I've always liked those (the covers, I mean).  :)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 08:25

Quote (ian @ Aug. 03 2007, 14:22)
Looks like a very dated cover for a Spectrum ZX81 computer bit of software.

Haha! Now that triggers some very fond memories for me, so...  :D
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 09:03

Quote (Holger @ Aug. 03 2007, 08:24)
Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 03 2007, 14:13)
I do kind of agree with those who say the cover looks a bit like a GCSE or A level physics text book cover

Heh, well, I've always liked those (the covers, I mean).  :)

Of course there is the argument that GCSE physics text book covers look like album covers. Ian's post made me laugh, now that you mention it it does look like an old ZX81 software cover. Though to me thats not necessarily a criticism, I quite like 80's retro kitch, maybe thats the aim of the cover.  

Still, I'll say it again, at least its not Voyager.
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 11:40

Oooh, pretty!
:cool:
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 11:45

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 03 2007, 14:03)
Still, I'll say it again, at least its not Voyager.

And there's nothing wrong with the Voyager cover!  ;)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 12:12

@ Toby: didn't some physics books also use Escher pictures as covers? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 12:16

Quote (Matt @ Aug. 03 2007, 11:24)
I like it, though the lighting on the foreground spheres doesn't seem to match with the glow being in the centre of the rings of spheres? Or is that just me being CGI-pedantic...

If you look carefully, the lighting of the spheres is perfectly consistent with a light source coming from below (not from the centre). So I'd just imagine that the cover picture is 'shot' from the top of the double sphere ring... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 12:26

It would do well in the wind chimes video  :D
Profile PM WEB 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 14:33

Quote (Matt @ Aug. 03 2007, 11:24)

Well I think that it's just one interesting thing about this image. Too really put my analytical glasses on my thoughts are these...Where exactely is this orange/red glow? Is it in the middle of the sphere formation, is it behind the formation or in front of it? It's like some kind of glowing mist floating around everywhere in the middle of the image, surrounding the whole scene, perhaps in a dimension you can only feel and to me it gives a "hot" feeling to this artwork because of the colors. The formation of spheres looks to me like a pair of circles crossing each others paths and are lit from a light source somewhere from below the image and I feel like I would like to "bend" these two rings a bit so they're 90 degrees straight against each other where they're crossing each others paths, like a strong human need to create order in the chaos. On the other hand if you're not thinking of it as a 3-D image but rather in flat 2-D the sphere formation can also look like the form of two hearts, one straight and one upside down.

Of course I couldn't keep my fingers away from the image the first time I saw it and took it directly into my Photoshop software and then it's like a whole new world opens up. There're millions and millions of things and combinations you can do with this picture. This is actually why I think the basic concept of this artwork is so frigging brilliant. Without any softwares it is your brain and mind creating all those mystical illusions and it really triggers your creativity, kind of suck you in and it makes me want to look at it for a long period of time everytime I see this artwork. It's not very complicated to make but that's not the point...simple solutions use to be the best, less is more. That wasn't the case with the tubular bells symbole either...the hard part I think is how to come up with these very special forms...how to think 'before' you're making the actual artwork.
In this case it had a theme, "music of the spheres" and with all the song titles in my head while looking at the cover artwork I have to say that everything fits perfectly together. I think it feels like the overall concept are becoming stronger and stronger. Now it feels like it's up to the musical part to "prove" that...and that can't have been an easy nut to crack I would guess. ;)

Ok, so these're the thoughts this artwork gives me and no...I'm not that drunk...yet I hope.  :cool:

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 17:51

Really really like it - I think it's very classy looking, in the tradition of the Tubular Bells covers in it's concept but far enough away to be fresh. The glow, as previously said is quite strange as it seems at once contained by the rings of spheres and free floating. The detailing on the spheres whilst obvious still adds to an overall hypnotic effect where the eye is constantly drawn to a different aspect of the composition. I really like the typeface too - very elegant...

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 18:40

I like it. I think it works very, very well. It is a fascinating image. I'm curious as to why the warm brown velvety tones have been used, very similar to the cover  of Tres Lunas. I wonder why not more of a spectrum when music is of many colours.

I'm thinking that a lot can be done with this on large video screens at concerts etc? Hope so!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 01:38

I love it , simple but effective, so looking forward to the new album . Woohoo  :laugh:

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 03:36

I love it, really great font, nice and simple. Best sleeve for years.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 05:45

It certainly catches the eye and makes you look at it. That's not a bad thing for a cover. I hope it gets a chance to catch the eye and draw people in by its positioning in record stores but I suppose that is doubtful. Anyway, I echo those sentiments that say well done to Tubular.net for getting the info so soon and for becoming the de facto mike oldfield information service. We hear it (and see it) here first!
Profile PM 
89 replies since Aug. 02 2007, 14:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net