[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres 2 CD Limited Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 12:35

Same thinking here, Ratty!

Tati, you're absolutely right. It's such a pity that there's a lack of photos of the Bilbao show (in high resolution too). It would be nice to see some more on this cd, but I'm afraid it will be just a dull package, with the live cd as the only extra.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 17:57

OMG I clicked on the link that Olivier put in the first post and laughed my butt off.  The guy sounds like Count Dracula!  Or the Count on Sesame Street (it has nothing to do with the Italian language.  I know a ton of Italian folks and none of them talk like that)!!

HAHAHA.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2008, 13:42

Quote (Sweetpea @ Oct. 04 2008, 06:05)
..... put it on my wishlist.

Your wishlist - do you want us to buy it for you Sweetpea!! :D  :D  :D

Ray  :cool:

Hey - we could do that - 1 pence each and it would be yours!!

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Oct. 07 2008, 16:03

Tim, I agree 100% with your paragraph a little way above.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 07 2008, 22:55

hmm.. this is something, but why not just the live cd?
:/

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 15:27

Perhaps there will be a DVD of the concert some day.  I'd definately go with the DVD.  

I'd also prefer to be able the buy a stand alone version of the live CD at a more reasonable price (right now the double CD is going for over $30 in the US).
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 04:56

Hmm - looks interesting - especially if there is a nice booklet or such.  I will give the original to friends I am converting to Mike.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 07:16

I will be adding this one to my 'must buy' list.I don't mind having a duplicate of the studio version.IMHO this is the best MO cd in years so it's always a pleasure.Besides it can then go into the 'How Many Copies' section. ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2008, 14:38

Nice to hear that MOTS is still selling a lot,it's so great and I can imagine Mike happy with it :D

And the package seems nice...we wanna pictures from inside!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2008, 16:56

'Special packaging', eh?

I suppose I'll HAVE to buy it now, despite the fact I've already got the live version off of iTunes ;)

I hope there's going to be some nice photos/extra artwork though!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2008, 23:24

Quote (Olivier @ Oct. 02 2008, 20:54)
Additionally, we're told that Music Week has reported that Music of the Spheres has been the 2nd biggest selling classical album this year

That's great. It's nice to know that MOTS is not only an artistic success, but also a commercial one. Hopefully, there will be more music from Mike in the future. Yes, I know he's mentioned retirement, but it's not set in stone!

I'm afraid I couldn't view the image, though. Does anyone have another link for it?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2008, 01:13

LP! Why they just won't release it on LP!? Classical music must be on LP! *sniff*  :/
Even Metallica got their new album on LP and its just metal and even a bad recording...
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2008, 07:55

I really don't think he'll retire now.I wouldn't blame him if he did but after having his biggest selling cd in years (number 1 in the Classical charts is some acheivement as there's loads of sniffy Calssical buffs out there.Even my father in law said he liked it but couldn't understand why it "keeps going back to the opening theme").He's taken extended ammounts of time off in the past.Nothing new bar a couple of singles came out 75 to 78 and again 84 to 86/87.During the latter period he was commercially not doing that great comparatively so i see no reason for him to retire now.He'll want to take time out to spend with his family i guess but musicians rarely reitre.It's not like a standard 9-5 job.It's in the blood.
 In the meantime i shall be buying the 2 cd edition of MOTS and watch this space cos i'm damn sure there's more to come.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2008, 13:42

Quote (Black Bunik @ Oct. 20 2008, 07:13)
LP! Why they just won't release it on LP!? Classical music must be on LP! *sniff*  :/
Even Metallica got their new album on LP and its just metal and even a bad recording...

Mmh, yes... MotS on vinyl would be something! I'm not sure why exactly but the idea seems very appealing. I've never exactly missed LP versions for his previous albums (except TBIII perhaps).
Profile PM 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2008, 15:18

I also don't think that Mike will retire now. The new environment on sunny Mallorca will inspire him to new music and I would appreciate it when he would continue on the classical path. But I must admit that I would like to have more of his guitar wizardry mixed in.

The success of MOTS must be some kind of surprising to Mike; after all of his tries to go mainstream with Chillout music he succeeded in the non-mainstream field of classical music. I think it's the last niche of music where Mike's kind of music fits naturally as it doesn't have any commercial limits there. He can really work on and extend his craft in this area; imagine Mike in 10 years conducting a big orchestra playing his most recent classical recording :-)
Profile PM 
34 replies since Oct. 02 2008, 20:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net