Music of the Spheres 3  [23.08%]
Incantations 10  [76.92%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MOTS Vs. Me?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Incantations Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 14 2010, 15:39

Well, Vs. Incantations, I said me because, yah, I think you can tell by my username.

I don't know what made me make an association between these two, despite the orchestra, for the styles of each are completely different and please dont mind if I make spelling mistakes I am typing to the beat of sailors horpipe try to do that in your post :D

Phew! it ended. Okay I think you can tell by my username and by the forums I am always that am sort of an Incantations 'fanatic'. However I do love Music of the Sheres, which has a factor of awesomeness that I can only describe as 'epic' :p

Still though, my vote goes to Incantations.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 18:04

Those two works cannot be compared, IMHO. MotS is indeed epic, and it's excellent at being epic. But to me it sounds like an excercise at creating classical music. Some sort of homework. :) Sure, the exercise's outcome is very good, and I love it, but most of it still sounds to me like an excercise. Instead, nothing in Inc. sounds out of place or forced or exercise-like, and that's why it's so good. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 04:17

I don't know if I can agree with ya on that Ugo, I see MOTS as Mike's honest rendition of the past and present classical scene, using his styles and melodies. Yet I can agree with them being completely different, as I mentioned in my fist post.

An no, not in my first post , in my fist post!

Bushe!!! (sound of a punch)

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 05:03

As I see it Incantation is a rhythm-driven album and MotS is melody-driven. Therefore they are almost opposite ends of the musical spectrum.
I associate MotS more with TB and HR, and to a certain degree with Amarok.
I prefer Incantations. Without competition Mike's best album and totally in a legue of its own.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 07:24

This is something a bit different - MoTS versus Incantations.

There was a good discussion on MoTS versus Mont St Michel a while back.

The main association is the orchestra, particularly the heavy string section.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 10:02

@ Incantations: maybe I mis-used the word "exercise". What I meant is that some of MotS sounds like Mike writing not directly from his heart, as he did on TB (1973), but conforming his writing to some of the standards of what classical music is supposed to be nowadays. In one word, many of the key passages in MotS, to my (cloth) ears, sound soundtrackish. JohnWilliams-ish. HowardShore-ish. HansZimmer-ish. But, at the same time, MotS makes it clear that it was written by Mike Oldfield, and not by John Williams or Howard Shore or Hans Zimmer or any other Hollywood film composer. I'm not denying anything of those guys' merits, they're all great in their field. But the simple fact that MotS was written by the man who wrote TB, HR and Ommadawn means that MotS is an awful lot more inspired than anything that those guys could ever come up with. Yet you can't deny that it's written and orchestrated according to standards that were born and existed long before Mike Oldfield. :) That's what I meant by "exercise".

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 12:47

Quote (Ugo @ July 15 2010, 10:02)
What I meant is that some of MotS sounds like Mike writing not directly from his heart, as he did on TB (1973), but conforming his writing to some of the standards of what classical music is supposed to be nowadays.

I agree - on the whole Incantations expresses itself like a 'natural'  free child, and MoTS is somewhere beween an 'adaptive' conforming child and logical adult - and even parental in places.

I'm using Transactional Analysis language there.  ;)  :p

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 14:05

I can see what your saying Ugo, and in actuality it turned out to be what I was saying :p. That it brings that MO 'spice' of sorts to a field already established, so in a way it IS like a conforming child, as Wiga said.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2010, 19:00

Hundred years. Big time. Even tho' I'm NOW discovering 'Spheres'.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
8 replies since July 14 2010, 15:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net