[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MotS-How original...?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 09:30

"Harmony of the Spheres" Neil Ardley 1978

see www.neilardley.com "Recordings"

(I ordered the last copy in stock from eil.com-report pending)

this should be in MotS Topic-apologeees...
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 11:43

I kind of see where your headed with this, I agree to some extent. I'm sure the phrase "Music of the Spheres" or variations therof has been used for song names, I'm willing to bet variations of the phrase were used for albums or even a new age band perhaps. But....you can't patent the wheel. I had a funny conversation years ago with a freind about overused song names like "night train" or "changes". Changes.....I was thinking Bowie and Yes-Trevor Rabin, but there have been so many "changes" written. These things happen....it's funny, it's wierd, it's not always clever, but life goes on and the cash register just keeps ringing.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 13:38

And of course there's also the Ian Brow album - Music Of The Spheres. Two things are for sure, Mike hasn't heard them, or of them, and none of the aforementioned artists came up with the concept.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 19:18

Yes, as Scatterplot above justly remarks, it's a very ancient concept. I've already said elsewhere that a Strauss waltz is named like that. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 20:01

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 28 2008, 17:43)
you can't patent the wheel.

Oops. I somehow missed that, I tryed to make a point that was already made. Well, just reinforcing.    ;)
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 09:34

not just "the phrase" folks.look at the Ardley webpage for Recordings and the Harmony concept entry.then read Mike O's
own MotS concept on his own site.not a million miles away? I contend Mike probably heard HotS way back and filed subconciously-nothing wrong with that if he latter-day resurrects the "concept"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 19:10

The two albums are indeed based on the same concept (well...Mike's description refers to it, at least - from what he's said recently, it seems more like he just stuck the title on it after he wrote it). I would think that it's not a case of Mike taking the concept from Neil Ardley, but rather that both of them share a common inspiration.

As Harmono has said, the concept of the music of the spheres is an ancient concept which goes back at least as far as Pythagoras. David Bedford made a reference to it in one of his more recent works by using a chord which had been calculated based on the work of Johannes Kepler in the 1600s - I'd imagine there's a stronger case for Mike having come into contact with the concept there, though really, my first guess would be that he read about it in a book or on the internet.
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 08:38

agreed.(with provisos)...
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2008, 04:21

HotS has just been re-mastered and first-time release on CD
so anyone who is of an (open) mind...
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 14:38

When I walk passed the garage I saw MOTS in big letters, but of course a car having it's MOT is not the same thing at all!   :laugh:
Profile PM 
9 replies since Mar. 28 2008, 09:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net