Tubular Bells part 1 2  [9.52%]
Punkadiddle 7  [33.33%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Most Played Parts, 'Montreux' favorites< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 14:15

This forum felt a little lonely without the ubiquitous "Favorite Track" poll. If it weren't for the "10 answer" limit, I'd have segmented "Platinum".

My most played parts are "Platinum", "Tubular Bells Part 2", "Ommadawn", and "Punkadiddle". The last being a practically perfect ending.

On a dating-issue side note, I want to mention that I think the footage here is very tasteful. I am fond of the 80s, but even I have my limits. Just think if MO had gone Glam, for instance? *shudder* Instead we have a digital watch and a stylized marquee which seem charmingly retro. Maggie's 'Dating Game' top and bangle overkill are (to one who may have committed similar crimes) forgivable. Mike Frye's afro-mullet thing still alarms me, but I can actually picture Morris Pert looking exactly like that whether it were the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 02:49

I can actually picture Morris Pert looking exactly like that whether it were the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s.

Haha I agree.

Taurus I for me btw. Love the bass bit.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 07:52

Punkadiddle for me!!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 16:18

Well, I gotta say, it has the best versions of Platinum and Punkadiddle for me! :D I love Taurus as well. But the one I play most is Punkadiddle, and not just for the obvious reason... ;) :p

(BTW, I love Tim's jumper, I want it! :laugh: )

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 12:43

I voted for Punkadiddle (wonder why...  ;) )  I love the whole thing though.

I've also been a perpetrator of bangle overkill, rather recently, which probably isn't a good thing... :/

And everytime I see Morris Pert beating the hell out of his drum kit, I can't help thinking that he must have been where the creators of the Muppets got their idea for Animal!
:D
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 17:19

Quote (Moonwing_Shadow @ Aug. 02 2007, 16:18)
the one I play most is Punkadiddle, and not just for the obvious reason... ;) :p

The obvious reason being shirtlessness, I take it? That's the icing on the cake. A cool tune, awesome guitar playing, and a bare sweaty chest. What more could a gal want?? *

(* a strictly hypothetical question - potential answers suggesting other bare body parts are not encouraged for decorum's sake)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 19:57

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 05 2007, 22:19)
the one I play most is Punkadiddle, and not just for the obvious reason... ;) :p

The obvious reason being shirtlessness, I take it? That's the icing on the cake. A cool tune, awesome guitar playing, and a bare sweaty chest. What more could a gal want?? *

Yeah, that's right, and I couldn't agree more! :laugh: :D

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 06:40

Quote (clotty @ Aug. 02 2007, 02:49)
I can actually picture Morris Pert looking exactly like that whether it were the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s.

I've seen recent pictures of him and believe me, he does indeed look the same! heheh  :p

I always feel sorry for him when mike says out loud 'oh, i"ve nearly forgotten him'  
There goes his 5 seconds of fame...

Btw: strange I was the first to vote for Mirage. Superb in its live version. Love the drum bit! And I tried to play along to it yesterday. Not easy to keep the rhythm...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 12:55

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 11 2007, 06:40)

On the contrary. If one leaves you for last having almost forgotten you, that just means more attention for you! Of course, Pert might not have seen it that way at the time.  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 13:01

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 11 2007, 12:55)
Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 11 2007, 06:40)

On the contrary. If one leaves you for last having almost forgotten you, that just means more attention for you! Of course, Pert might not have seen it that way at the time.  :laugh:

hahahah... I guess so indeed!
He doesn't wave at the audience and walks
away with back to the crowd heheh

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 14:46

Punkadiddle for me.
It's Mike being "hip,cool,and sexy" as well as the fact he was into his state of trance.

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 05 2007, 22:19)

Regarding the * part,Exposed is a good DVD for female fans of Mike who admire his other talents ;)

Yeah, that's right, and I couldn't agree more! :laugh: :D

Gorgeous sweaty chest...

\o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 00:51

"state of trance"... that's an interesting way of putting it, Tati. Now that I think of it, there were several moments during the concert where MO appeared to be totally immersed in the music. On the flipside, I vaguely recall early in "Sailor's Hornpipe" that he seemed to have a deer-caught-in-headlights moment... sort of like 'Who are all these people and where did they come from??' Of course, I may be totally mistaken, and he was merely thinking 'How does this tune go again?'.

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2007, 12:45

I went with Punkadiddle, it's fantasic, a great way to end a great DVD, Mike is on another planet when he's paying, and he puts so much feeling into it, other guitarist take note!!!!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2008, 12:44

Hi.An old subject but i checked out Morris Pert's site and Clotty is so right.He hasn't changed very much in 26 years!!!And take note of Punkadiddle-how could any guitarist not???It's not something i would want to try to play (read rip-off)but just to watch him play it is simply stunning.Apart from the timing wobble in Platinum after the intro (and a reminder ,with the look of disgust shot at Morris,that Mike was THE boss)this is an MO fan's dream come true.Where Exposed may be,dare i say it,a touch overblown,this gig is full of energy and inventiveness.And god can he play!!!!!!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2008, 19:35

I went with Platinum as this was the first of Mike's albums I bought so holds a bit of a soft spot for me (went back and then forwards after that of course).

I really like Punkadiddle though, for the interplay with the audience - classic.
Profile PM 
14 replies since Aug. 01 2007, 14:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net