Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MO's Most underrated Album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Brewer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 13 2002, 07:50

Having been brought up from an early age to the sounds of TB comin out of my brothers mono record player, (I was ten when it was released). He like plenty of others bought HR on its release and then stopped at Ommadawn. (marrage for him followed). I procede to pick up the mantle. I was very versed in the intricities of TB and started to play Ommadawn. I loved this straight away. HR never got a play. I started work shortly before the release of Incantations and so purchased it on its release. I replaced the old record player with a state of the art Hi-Fi system and then discovered that my copy of Ommadawn was crackling on the new Hi-Fi. So it was out to replace the copy's of my Oldfield collection. I purchased the Boxed set as it was cheaper than buyin all 3 albums and ya got the extra collabrations as well. It was then i discovered HR. What a beautiful piece of work. It is so movin i fail not to be lifted everytime i here it.
I remember one time my girlfriend was visiting and i was listening to HR on the headphones. She hadnt heard it before so i let her listen to it from the start with the headphones on. I watch the expressions on her face and i could tell where the music was just by her expressions. I could see the emotions that i felt comin out  in her and i thought to myself this piece of music is very special.
I think initially when it was released it was very badly pressed (Oil Crirsis was in full swing) and most ppl were, like me playing it on a bog standard record player.
It to me is MO's best for a lot of reasons but maily because whenever i listen to it i go through a tirrade of emotions, no matter what my humour.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: July 15 2002, 10:16

Yes ! you are true. HR is the most emotional album of Mike Oldfield. Follow by Ommadawn. We can sense all the feeling he had after the rapid success of TB and he was truly "desequilibrated" (Can we say that in English ?).

HR was underrated because when compared to TB doesn't had a powerful intro (a gentle at the place). And when compare to Ommadawn doesn't had the same recording quality.

It's a shame. I like this album most than all the others, but the sound quality is a problem. But the music is fantastic, dramatic, powerful, epic. With others albums I don't have the same amount of picture becomming in my head. What a landscape ! :)

The two mix are great. It's not the first time I say that, but it's this one that MO should rerecord, because HR is so underrated and better than TB.
Profile PM WEB 
Brewer Offline

Posted: July 22 2002, 18:29

I dont know weather he should re record it. It might not turn out as good. LOL.
I have tried since to convert ppl to HR but to no avail, or even to MO himself. (Slightly better chance). Have had greater sucess in converting the philistines to the Penguin Cafe Orchestra, with the hope that a trip to the wonders of instrumental music would follow. LMAO

--------------

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2002, 15:15

It is very very good. In particular the Boxed version. I love it. Part I. (I don't care that much about the 2nd part).

It is so much feelings in it, that lovely soft beginning, that slowly evolving chord sequence and all the effort put in the atmospheric backgrounds ... all those keybord sounds like the wind. And what a lovely theme, one of the best. I love how that stormy guitar theme evolves into a more relaxed phase where the oboe theme appears ... then some guitar phrases just before ... that lovely oboe- and guitar theme, great Mike!!! What a construction, what a mind it takes to get these kind of ideas!!!
Profile PM 
Luke 666 Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2002, 15:50

I think HR and other "older" albums (Omma., Q.E.2, Incant., Platin.) are better than younger ones (starting by FMO, Crises, Discovery, Islands ... Except TB II, III, TSODE, AMAROK and TMB), because they're more emotional, have "hearth and soul". Hergest Ridge is my favourite for it's melancholic passages.
Profile PM 
lazeeladuk Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2002, 06:23

don't know about you lot but when i listen to HR after TB it gives me a very strange feeling. HR feels more like sequel to TB than TBII does,i think its because TB is still in there and the way that it is being played. quite an eary feeling that i get especialy right at the begining. An exellent album though much better than TB, one of my top five MO albums :)  ;)
Profile PM 
Luke 666 Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2002, 17:33

Yes, You really can't know me, becuse I'm far away on the other side (in the midle of Europe).
Profile PM 
Luke 666 Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 17:00

as you talk about TB II - they fell like AMAROK - the sound used for guitars and so on.
Profile PM 
lazeeladuk Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2002, 20:11

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2002, 21:09

mike has lost the plot : (//   first 3 albums were cool.

tablets and beak will kill u in the end m8.. ,,,
come home mike and get the ald jazzsmokes and the multi track recorder out.....
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2002, 15:17

SORRY MAYBE THAT IS A BIT HARSH..,,,

Thing is.. i feel the early oldfield stuff IS mike oldfield.. to me anyway,
  those first 3 albums are like nothing i have heard since by any artist or group,esp the second two..
if you do ever visit england then do go to HR, take a walkman
and play em.. you will see what i mean...
Profile PM 
Down Under
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 14 2002, 21:25

Sorry to disappoint a lot of you, but HR is the only MO album I just can't get a handle on.  It's awful, especially side 2.  I can't understand how it went to no. 1 after TB.  It must have been riding on the crest of the wave created by TB.  I always imagine that a lot of people probably bought it unheard, expecting more of that awsome TB talent, and they must have felt enormously let down by what they heard.  I don't think there is any other MO album I don't like.  I think so much of his stuff is wonderful, calm, relaxing, inspiring, you name it, but HR ..... I just can't understand it.  Almost everybody has a dud, and I can't help classing HR as MO's dud, regardless of its no. 1 sales.  Worse than a dud, I'm too embarrassed to play it at home in case anybody else asks "What the hell is that? Turn it off!"  I wish I could like it as much as I like every other MO album, but try as hard as I can, I just can't.  So to sum it up, can anybody tell me how to get to like HR?  All suggestions are welcome!
Luke 666 Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2002, 17:00

I didn't liked AMAROK, but after deep listening, thinking about melody (it's hard to say these things exacly) i started to like some pieces - as you don't like pt.2 (that distortion part with huge amout of instruments, i think). So it takes time.
And remember - HR is really hard to listen (to me) - but in fact it is a great album.
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2002, 23:06

????
  go back and play em...

"It is so much feelings in it, that lovely soft beginning, that slowly evolving chord sequence and all the effort put in the atmospheric backgrounds"

open your ears and mind : (
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2002, 17:46

HERGEST RIDGE, yes one of mikes greatest emotional records.

When first released the 'critics' had a field day with the 'quiet' record, but time has proved them wrong.

I myself feel that Mike was well attached to that part of the English countryside due to the music he presented to us.

I think he found it a great wrench later on, to move abroad to avoid the UK taxation system, which causes us all some grief.

Well he has got to make a living and not subsidise the UK goverment.

I always think that when coming to the UK he walks silently through the ridge, Yes the music is very inspiring.

Cheers MO fan

:D
Profile PM 
Brewer Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2002, 10:53

i can't understand how it went to no. 1 after TB.  It must have been riding on the crest of the wave created by TB.  I always imagine that a lot of people probably bought it unheard

A couple of things Down Under.
1. Hergest Ridge was No. 1 before Tubular Bells, it was TB that knocked HR off the No 1 spot. Source="Guinness Book Of Albums"
2. I would reckon that nearly 75% of all records are, have and will always be bought unheard. Most ppl buy records on the strength of the artist not the content.

If ya cant be good dont get caught

--------------

Profile PM 
Luke 666 Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2002, 16:50

Most ppl buy records on the strength of the artist not the content.

I must agree with this.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2002, 18:30

You might be well over the hill, (I just had to say that) :p ,
but you and your buddies are right when it comes to the insperational music of Hergest ridge.

I don't know if its my age but I prefer MOs older albums, they are just wonderfull TB, HR, OM & my favorite INCANTATIONS are all just brilliant.

Cheers MO fan :D
Profile PM 
theben Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2003, 09:27

Hergest Ridge is a brilliant album - when i listen to it fully concentrated i have very deep feelings - difficult to put it in the right words, maybe it's similar to a strong moment during meditation.
With Ommadawn and 5Miles-Out it's the strongest album for me!
Profile PM 
Down Under
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 11 2003, 22:00

Well, I've been a bit slow on this, but I have now become aware that the original vinyl recording is different to the CD release.  So, I got a hold of vinyl part one, and it's far, far better than the CD "version".  What MO left out in the CD version has been the problem.  The vinyl version is far more interesting, has much more body and charm to it, and I can possibly take back my previous comments about the album.  The CD version remains, IMO, pretty awful and flat.  Whenever I want to play HR, I'll be playing the vinyl version, and the CD will be just filling a place in the collection.  

Can anybody tell me where I can get vinyl part 2, or the whole thing in better than 128kbps?  I've been searching around the usual sources, but no luck so far.
51 replies since July 13 2002, 07:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net