Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Moribund Chorus?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 05 2001, 15:38

This question was asked in another topic, but I believe it deserves its own topic.

The Sleeve notes to TB Side 2 say: 'Mike Oldfield plays ... Moribund Chorus'.
So what is a Moribund Chorus?

The Bootleg Chorus is some people shouting 'boot-leg'. So maybe the Moribund Chorus is someone shouting 'mori-bund'???
BTW, 'moribundus' means 'dying' in Latin.

Any ideas? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2001, 18:15

This is just my opinion: starting at 8:00, a choir is heard, which includes Mundy & Sally and (probably) Mike (especially at 8'05''-06''). Maybe it's called "moribund" because it's a sort of lament, almost like a dirge... wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 06 2001, 15:10

Yes, Ugo. That could be it. In The Amarok Player Tracklist, this section is called 'Moongate'.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 06 2001, 17:38

I know about Moongate... wink Sunset Door (TB2)-->Moongate...whoever compiled the AP tracklist didn't certainly make a big effort in using his imagination... biggrin biggrin

Apart from this: During In Stasis (the first movement of TB Part 2), there are some even ghoulish voices than the ones at 8'05'', but they're clearly female-sounding...and the cover says that Mike plays the Moribund Chorus... smile biggrin

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: June 12 2001, 08:53

If that is the bit, it definitely sounds moribund.

So where do you hear the word "bootleg"?

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 12 2001, 10:43

They're not actually yelling "boot-leg". It's more like "hoo-hey" or something similar. I think it's called the bootleg chorus because it's similar to crowd noises sometimes heard on bootleg live recordings - at least that's what I read before.

ChiRho - the bootleg chorus occurs during the caveman section. Listen carefully at about 12:40 (part 2) and you should hear it.
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2018, 10:07

I've noticed that when reading the list of instruments for "Tubular Bells Side 2", "Moribund Chorus" is listed after "Hammond Organ" eventhough there is no vocals after the Hammond appears in the original "Ambient Guitars".  Assuming that each instrument is listed in order of its first appearance on each side of "Tubular Bells" this leads to my 2 theories.  

My first theory refers to "Moribund Chorus" simply referring to the spooky chorus effect that the Leslie Speaker gives to the Hammond Organ.  The Hammond Organ also builds to a chorus-like climax at the end of the original "Ambient Guitars", as it would also do in the 2003 version.  Interestingly Mike uses his own "Vocal Chords" to emulate this effect at the end of the equivalent section ("Maya Gold") from "Tubular Bells II".

Another less likely possibility is that Mike himself had a "Vocal Chords" part in either the original "Ambient Guitars" or "The Sailor's Hornpipe" but they were removed in the final mixing stage and without the instruments list being corrected.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 05 2001, 15:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net