Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: More sad news, Jon Lord formerly of Deep Purple< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bradnorman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 16 2012, 14:22

I've just heard that Jon Lord, formerly of Deep Purple, and co-writer of the iconic 'Smoke on the Water' has passed away after a long illness.

Yet another musician who's gone to that great gig in the sky!

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 16 2012, 18:12

Yes, you are prefectly right: yet another musician.  It always happens that when someone famous dies, it gives different emotions to each one of us, depending on whether you loved or hated that person. But when a musician dies, especially one who is recognized by a great big number of people as a very good musician, or indeed as a great musician, well, it touches people a lot deeper than anyone else. At least it touches me. R.I.P Jon, I shall miss your unmistakable touch on the Hammond.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to be the source of any black humour here, but it seems to me that, in these latest months and years, "Heaven's Band" is gathering more and more nice people in its lineup. If they do get together and they do play a gig, I just hope that they play very loud, so we can hear them from down here... ;)

[REST OF POST DELETED]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 16 2012, 20:36

Another great musician,another bloody cancer,bloody ageing disease.Jon was the same age as my Dad,which makes me think a lot,really.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most agressive ones - it also took Steve Jobs' life last year.I personally get very sad when people lose their battle to it - on the last 7 years it took the lives of two of my uncles.

Jon Lord was the king of Hammond organ.'Nuff said.

http://youtu.be/-yaLwfTfgXM

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 16 2012, 22:34

Mmm....very sad, indeed. Ugo, I've had similar thoughts about the band on the other side (though not about being able to hear it....down/over/through/wherever, here). There are a lot of well-known rockers out there, we're all racing on to the bitter end, so sadly, this seems to becoming more frequent. About all we can do is to appreciate everyone, carry on, and take care of ourselves and friends/loved ones best as we can.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: July 17 2012, 14:27

If they do get together and they do play a gig, I just hope that they play very loud, so we can hear them from down here...

Yes it really should be rocking up there - if indeed there is an ’up there’! Nice idea though!

Deep Purple were one of the bands that gave me my love of rock music in the early 70’s, and I was lucky enough to see them live, which was a truly unforgettable experience! I also recall going to see, the rather short lived, Paice Ashton Lord around 1978 I think. Although I’m now of an age where my memory isn’t quite what it was!

On the subject of ‘Smoke on the water‘, I’ve always understood that Roger Glover came up with the title, and that Richie Blackmore wrote the guitar riff. Jon and Ian Paice worked their magic around that, and Ian Gillian wrote the lyrics. Purple’s official website seems to confirm that. If that’s not the case, then I stand corrected.

Jon Lord was the king of Hammond organ.'Nuff said.

He certainly was. That’s a great video by the way. Fabulous playing!

Nice one Jon. You won’t be forgotten.

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 17 2012, 17:25

POST DELETED

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 17 2012, 18:18

I love early Deep Purple and my favorite songs were written by Jon; Shield, Anthem, April, Chasing Shadows, Blind. And the "concerto" of course.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: July 18 2012, 13:07

I strongly disagree that official websites rarely tell you the whole truth about anything. That’s just not the case! However, not having seen the DVD documentary about Machine Head, I’ll take your word for it Ugo - and I stand corrected!

To return to topic - I came across this video on YouTube. It’s Jon receiving his Honorary Degree at the University of Leicester, which is his home town in the UK. It’s quite long, but well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OywSpd2EbPg

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 19 2012, 17:54

POST DELETED

--------------
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: July 20 2012, 13:59

Ok Ugo, if you want to play it this way, then that’s fine with me. I’m not quite sure what your problem is, but I’m rapidly losing patience with you, and your argumentative, dogmatic and pedantic responses.

This topic was meant to be a tribute to the late, great Jon Lord, and not a vehicle for your obnoxious narrative. I have already stated that I was incorrect about ’Smoke on the water’, as some websites have also been, including the BBC, but that’s obviously not good enough for you is it?

My experience of the official websites I have visited is that they are generally reliable, and quite frankly, I am not in the least bit interested in your opinions and your ‘examples' - SO DON‘T LECTURE ME!!!

To conclude, I would suggest that if you can’t stay on topic, then at least have the decency to shut up about it! I would also suggest that you GET A LIFE, and pay more attention to issues that really matter!

Oh...and  if I get thrown off the forum for this…then so be it. At least I won’t have to read your intensely irritating comments again! :(

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 20 2012, 18:08

OKAY, I WILL GET A LIFE AND LEAVE IMMEDIATELY THIS TOPIC AND NEVER SAY A SINGLE WORD HERE AGAIN.

--------------
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: July 21 2012, 13:06

GOOD RIDDANCE!

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 21 2012, 13:31

Ugo and bradnorman. It seems to me pretty disrespectful to be arguing in this thread. Further off topic comments will be removed.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
12 replies since July 16 2012, 14:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net