Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: More rock album news< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 08:52

Mike has posted an update on his progress on his rock album on his facebook group. He says:

Hi Everyone !

Just finished the last demo for the rock album. There are 10 songs altogether and I just sent the last one off to Steve Lipson who is hard at work on a film project in LA. These songs are deeply personal and come from real life experiences past and present. Music straight from the heart.

There is just some legal stuff to work out with Mercury and then we can start organizing the live sessions. There will be 5 tracks recorded by the best live musicians in LA and the other 5 live in London. Then Steve and I will work together across the planet to record the vocals and of course my guitars.

Caroline will be in charge of the live Twitter feeds from the actual sessions. All exciting stuff so here's to an amazing 2013. Lots of good wishes !

Mike
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 09:43

All of this sound totally great! This album gets more and more interesting!

I like also the fact that there will be regular updates from Caroline.

It's great that artists are now closer to their audience with Facebook and Twitter and the internet overall.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 10:38

Lets hear a few demos then :D

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 15:42

few demos would not hurt indeed!!!! or some recording videos in the studio.. like steven wilson did on youtube..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 18:10

I was hoping for some instrumentals on the album but it looks unlikely ..... Being so near the 40th anniversary of TB I'm wondering if the new album will be called TB IV ?
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 19:14

Demos?! Let's not put the man under pressure, let Mike and Steve get on with it, let the demos serve their purpose without us lot ripping them apart and sit tight for the album.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 01:45

No instumentals - 10 songs with different singers - genre rock. I really can't imagine what rock is like these days...
I have to admit I'm a bit afraid of this release.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 04:05

The clearly best aspect of this, IMHO, is that he talks about "live jam session".

This is exactly the kind of injection his music needs. Sorry, but I don't think very highly about his chill-out music; I am more into his more ambitious works, and his best period is when other musicians appear with him. My opinion.

I very much hope that he isn't going to overdub his solos in isolation. Do it live, with the other guys around.

Look at the inspired playing in those old clips from the early 80s ...

Please don't make Earth Moving 2. That would be the end of my MO interest.
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 05:03

I'm also a bit critical.... well... for me 10 rock songs is like probably 3 of them will be especially good. And I would like to hear more progression than it is in song (I mean chorusx2 and so on) So these things make mi happy of only 30% of what will be on album. E.g Heavens Open is ok, I like some of songs and they are really full of emotions but it is not still the thing I feel listening to HR or Ommadawn or TB2 and SoDE. The lenght in Mike's music is beauty. It tells a story that you explore. Instruemnts are talking arguing or having fun. This is what can't be expected on new album.
So for now I'm in 30% happy of new stuff on a horrizon but I hope it will not get down to such a level like it was with Earth Moving.
Only one thing that makes me still amazed of news is that Mike can be preparing for a tour... This is really something. OMG, I would be praying for a good setlist then.... AND BUY A BLOODY VINTAGE STRAT, I can't stand wathing this deluxe strat from NOTP.
Regards from Poland :)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 05:09

Quote (Korgscrew @ Dec. 07 2012, 08:52)
These songs are deeply personal and come from real life experiences past and present. Music straight from the heart.

This is the bit I was interested to read...the feeling will undoubtedly come through in the music...it's what he does really well. And it's what I love best of all. Best of all.

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 06:51

Quote (bee @ Dec. 08 2012, 09:09)
Quote (Korgscrew @ Dec. 07 2012, 08:52)
These songs are deeply personal and come from real life experiences past and present. Music straight from the heart.

This is the bit I was interested to read...the feeling will undoubtedly come through in the music...it's what he does really well. And it's what I love best of all. Best of all.

:)

Mike reaches 60 in 2013...maybe these songs are going to reflect all these feelings from past and present. Feelings that he feels now it's time to share with the world.

Let the emotions flow and rock on!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 08:24

Quote (lukaszswietek @ Dec. 08 2012, 09:03)
AND BUY A BLOODY VINTAGE STRAT, I can't stand wathing this deluxe strat from NOTP.

I'll make sure that message gets passed on, shall I? :P

Mike's location in the Bahamas, near the sea, isn't necessarily the best place for older instruments (or any instrument, really) - the salt from the sea can get into everything. I imagine the choice of the Deluxe Strat was more related to wanting a relatively inexpensive (compared to a pre-CBS Strat), robust instrument to tour with - the noiseless pickups were no doubt an appealing feature too. Perhaps not the same 'mojo' as an older one, but a practical choice for the road :)

As for the music, songs vs long instrumentals and such things...I've certainly really enjoyed Mike's long instrumental albums and think they're something he's uniquely good at. It would be very interesting to hear him tackle one again, but at the same time, it'll be interesting to hear him tackle an album of rock songs.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 08:45

I'm very, very interested to see or rather hear what working with another producer does to Mike's sound. It'll be one of the few times since TB2 that Mike has let someone else get involved in the production and arrangement of an album. I've often thought Mike is actually at his best when someone else has an input into his albums. It seems to me MOTS definitely benefitted from having Karl Jenkins helping out, it was Mike's best album in a long time in my opinion.
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 09:44

Oh, I'll see how it turns out.

And while I will say that I'm a fan of the long instrumental stuff, some of those songs stand up pretty well. I just kind of hope these are songs that he's written more or less from scratch. Heaven's Open cops a bit of flak as an album but it seems to me a fairly underrated album (not as good as Amarok, but that's a completely different beastie) but he took risks and put a bit of heart into it too - which is what I think makes it a better album than Earthmoving, which was just blah.

So it sounds like he's taking the same approach here - putting a bit of heart into it and all. And hopefully striking the right balance between not rushing but not overthinking it either.

And, I mean, c'mon, it's a new album. It might turn out terrible, but one of the reasons I respect the hell out of him because he's almost always followed his own path and managed to make a life's work out of it, even if there has been the odd duff album along the way. I actually considered him to be semi-retired after MOTS and I was actually just content with picking up the re-issues, but it seems to me the Olympics thing really gave him a shot in the arm with getting some recognition that he's not often had in his own country.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 11:03

Mike hasn't said there isn't an instrumental track, just that he has made 10 song demos, so there is always a chance, I think he has only ever released one album with only songs, so it would be rare for there to be no instumentals, even short ones. After MOTS I am happy if It's only songs, MOTS was a classic for my ears. I'm just happy he is making new music. I wonder if he is using any of Don Black's lyrics? Also, I wonder which London studio he will record in? Abbey Road? or mayb Mark Knopfler's studio British Groove Studios?
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 12:36

This will be Mikes first fresh music output since MOTS - 5 years ago. His last "rocking" sounds we have heard ... am I wrong ... on Guitars and TB III - 14 years ago.

Thats a long time for changing his personal direction. So for me, this project is a totally black box. What the hell, is Mikes imagination of rock music today?? Does he know more modern rock bands, alternative rock, gothic, epic rock ... or will his music be influenced by older masters? Long years ago, i remember that he talked well about Limp Bizkit. Will that mean anything to this project today??

His decision to work with other musicians again is a big surprise. Mike is open for a collaboration with a well known producer - wow. Steve Lipson worked with the Simple Minds, Annie Lennox in the 80/90ies. Doesnt sound so bad to me.

Also he needs a drummer - Simon Philips would be a great pleasure. Another cool option could be Evelyn Glennie. This woman did a totally impressive percussion job on the olympic opening festival with the underworld guys. After watching and listening to "And I will kiss" this summer, i thought at first, that the drums on it sounds a lot like the ommadawn drums. And i was so sure, that i had heard something new from Mike. That was wrong, but the music is still great.

The fact that Tarja Turunen appears on the Remix album, make it possible, that she also sings a song on the rock album as well and this could make sense, cause she is already a well known vocalist of epic rock. Lets see what will happen ... Very exciting!!!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 13:22

Drummer-wise, I'd love to see him work with Darby Todd - a man as at home with jazz as he is with metal or blues. Also, he had a great pairing on the Tubular Bells II tour in the form of Ian Thomas and Lawrence Cottle who, in that setting, didn't really get the chance to show just what a great rhythm section they can be together.

John Robinson (as featured on Altered State) has been doing some stuff for Mike in LA. If he's recording drums in London as well, I'd not be surprised if Ash Soan gets the call.

Simon Phillips was always a solid collaborator with Mike of course and Evelyn Glennie would indeed be a great choice of collaborator, though I think maybe she'd be at her greatest on a longer instrumental work (it would be lovely to hear some of her tuned percussion playing on his music, for example).

Studios...Mike's always seemed to like Abbey Road, with all its associations with the start of his career. Considering Steve Lipson's involvement, I'd not rule out SARM being used. It would actually be really interesting to see what would happen if he was holed up in British Grove for a while...with Mr Knopfler on hand as well, of course.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 14:24

OK, I just listened to Annie Lennox album "Diva" and I'm seriously worried if that is the producer he has hired. That album is a perfect example of why the 90s was the most boring decede in music ever. No dymanics, no surprises, just polite and inoffensive "product".

But then of course it is by no means a "rock" album, is it?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 15:33

Oh Steve Lipson did also produce the new Ultravox album this year.  A really great result!
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2012, 15:43

How much changes producer can do to music? I think that Mike is rather independent... I wouldn't be so much worried about Lipson in studio with Mike.

If it comes about drummer - I think that Robinson will do drums.
Mike doesn't seem to like collaborating with musicians from the past. I was even suprised that he had called Monkey.
If Mike said that Monkey will write some news about the album producing progress on Twetter does it mean that info will apperar also on Facebook? I just don't want to make an account there.

Ahhh... for me it would be the best if Mike called Sting to do some vocals... But on the other hand I can't imagine this collab. Sting is doing tours recently...
By the way - any Sting's fan here? or The Police..
 :D
Profile PM 
64 replies since Dec. 07 2012, 08:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net