Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: More Mike Oldfield's equipment for sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 01 2008, 17:41

Mike is selling more equipment via Chandler Guitars: Digidesign Pro Tools slave driver, Digidesign 888/24 8-track to 24-bit digital converter, Roland Fantom-XR synth module, Trace Elliot GP11 bass head, Yamaha OIV96 digital mixer, Yamaha Tyros 1 workstation keyboard.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 02 2008, 05:39

:/  This sad " outflow "continues ! ..... Reassure me ! Does he need money ?  :D

Why does he search for erase his past like this ?? !!  ... Sorry Mike ! You don't like Why questions , i know .

Just hope this is only for ...A new beginning !  ;)
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2008, 06:03

I don't understand anything about this technical gadgets, but I think it's old and useless equipment, that can be easily replaced by software and computer things, so that's all!!  Maybe even these old things could be owned by someone else, not Mike, last years.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2008, 06:41

;)  The  problem , for me , is that these old useless technical gadgets make part of his legend ; with them he created his " sound " .
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2008, 06:58

What about the PRS?

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2008, 07:50

Quote (yanouch65 @ Sep. 02 2008, 08:58)
What about the PRS?

At least it's still with him...if one day he decides to sell it..."Houston,we have a problem" IMHO,since the PRS for me it has been part of Mike's sound for a long time...19 years!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2008, 08:59

This is not new stuff - i saw most of it when i was in Chandlers at easter.

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2008, 10:20

Funny, he had some Digidesign equipment for surround usage! I use the same equipment at a sound postproduction company where I sometimes work.

Probably from the Tubular Bells 2003 era.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2008, 16:50

I've just spent most of the night trying to play Robert Ballards "Entre de luth" on Mike's old Ramirez (well, old from 1999).  I love playing this guitar, it is really beautiful.  can't say I'm interested in any of this wacky kit though.  Wouldn't have a clue what to do with it for starters.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Sep. 03 2008, 10:21

When I went to Chandler's in February 2006 they had a Mike Oldfield owned Trace Amp and speakers - pretty sure that this is the same stuff. I could be wrong. It has been known, but if I'm right then it isn't selling too easily.

It is quite big as I recall and I'm guessing quite old, so £900 seems alot to pay for it (though I'm no expert in these things).

...and to me there no real appeal in owning electronic equipment that was once owned by someone famous. It is not like buying an instrument that was owned and played by Mike. I love bass guitars both to look at and to play, but I am not emotionally attached to my amp. oops I think my Carlsbro 120, just two feet away from me, might have caught a glimpse of this post and is now crying in the corner.

On the other hand, if I could haggle them down to £200, I wonder if my wife would notice if I sold our fridge freezer and replaced it with a Trace Stack?  Who needs cold beers anyway?

Well me actually, so scrub that idea!!

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2008, 12:18

I'm very attached to my dear old JCM 800 combo.It's called George (and the matching 800 series 4x10 cab is called Mildred)and i got it with the proceeds of a trust fund set up by my nan that matured when i was 16 in '91.Since then i've never used another amp at all.It has huge sentimental value as my nan passed away a few years later.
 £900 does seem a lot to pay for a Trace though.As i recall they were the bass amp of choice for a lot of players in the mid eighties/early nineties but they are very common.
 The other problem with the rest of it is it's all outmoded technology.He's always sold on stuff when it becomes outdated though so i don't think it's anything to worry about though.I personally found his selling guitars worrying as it seemed to be all the ones we all associate with him.And the sg's going was a blow cos they are the one's i associate with his earlier period from Ommadawn onwards.
 Has anyone asked him why he sold them?With technology being what it is now it's a doddle to get any guitar to approximate the sound of any other model but it's never going to sound exactly like it as the woods and the construction methods employed as well as the harware used.I personally loath modelling gear as it shows no respect for the amps and guitars they are trying to sound like and they always sound 'fake' to my ears.It's convenient but it doesn't sound right.
Rant over.The ludite is silenced. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2008, 16:02

When i visiited Chandlers there was the whole Bass set up with amp and speaker in the basement.  Old and tatty.  Chandlers are wideboys and charge about 20 to 40% more than the kit is worth.  So no surprise to hear that 900 is high.

R :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2008, 05:49

I love bass guitars both to look at and to play, but I am not emotionally attached to my amp. oops I think my Carlsbro 120, just two feet away from me, might have caught a glimpse of this post and is now crying in the corner.

:laugh: The bass player in our old band used to use a Carlsbro amp,and I don`t think we ever sounded quite the same when he got rid of it sadly.We were only a three piece band guitar,bass,drums and it just seemed to give the bass a real edgy aggressive sound I felt.Although it still had a lot of depth and warmth at the same time somehow.Mind you he also played a Carlsbro bass back then so I dare say that might`ve had a major bearing on it as well.Anyway far be it from me to take issue with someone for not showing their equipment the fullest amount of care and attention it may or may not require.My old drum kit`s been in the coal shed for the last seven years sobbing it`s little heart out.Luckily I never did get round to giving it a name so I can just about handle the guilt...(shouting out of window).."Keep the bloody noise down out there,can`t you see I`m trying to submit a post man..Oh yeah of course you can`t see you`re in the coal shed..Alright mate as you were".
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2008, 05:51

This thread is going bonkers  :D  :laugh:

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2008, 15:41

Quote (Ray @ Sep. 03 2008, 16:02)
Chandlers are wideboys and charge about 20 to 40% more than the kit is worth.

total rubbish. the guys at chandlers are a pleasure to deal with.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 06:08

Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Sep. 06 2008, 20:41)

You obviously have a different definition to Wideboys than I do.

A Wideboy is a wheeling dealing person - bit like a car salesman.  Wikipedia definition - Wide boy is a British term for a man who lives by his wits, wheeling and dealing.

I was in chandlers and the guy admitted he was a pure salesman who would try to sell anything.  He tried to sell something to my son who is 13 and was obviously not in need of what ever it was  - i can't remember what it was now.

I didnt say they wern't nice guys, and fun to deal with.  But they sell equipment and guitars at a very high price.  Specifically second hand Oldfield equipment to which they add a 20% markup.

So which bit of what i am saying do you refer to as total rubbish?

Ray  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 19:21

Quote (Ray @ Sep. 07 2008, 06:08)
Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Sep. 06 2008, 20:41)

You obviously have a different definition to Wideboys than I do.

A Wideboy is a wheeling dealing person - bit like a car salesman.  Wikipedia definition - Wide boy is a British term for a man who lives by his wits, wheeling and dealing.

I was in chandlers and the guy admitted he was a pure salesman who would try to sell anything.  He tried to sell something to my son who is 13 and was obviously not in need of what ever it was  - i can't remember what it was now.

I didnt say they wern't nice guys, and fun to deal with.  But they sell equipment and guitars at a very high price.  Specifically second hand Oldfield equipment to which they add a 20% markup.

So which bit of what i am saying do you refer to as total rubbish?

Ray  :p

firstly i dont think they overprice their equipment. i have had some excellent deals from them.
secondly, its just market forces at work the way the prices work. if you want it, you will pay the price. if you dont like it, dont buy it - its as simple as that.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 23:20

To use one of Mike's euphimisms-out with the old and in with the new, "endings are just beginnings"

Cheers,
 Deb and Pixie
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2008, 00:08

Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Sep. 08 2008, 00:21)
I firstly i dont think they overprice their equipment. i have had some excellent deals from them.
secondly, its just market forces at work the way the prices work. if you want it, you will pay the price. if you dont like it, dont buy it - its as simple as that.

Market forces exactly.   The Bass unit is still for sale almost a year later.  So it is probably over priced or someone would have bought it?

Case proven!

--------------
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2008, 09:30

Quote (Ray @ Sep. 08 2008, 00:08)
Market forces exactly.   The Bass unit is still for sale almost a year later.  So it is probably over priced or someone would have bought it?

Case proven!

perfect information wasnt available to the public at large a year ago - its only been widely announced recently to the oldfield community.

were mikes guitars overpriced when you bought one?
Profile PM 
31 replies since Sep. 01 2008, 17:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net