Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 28 2008, 14:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHUPOBAaSb0
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 06 2010, 07:15

Not a patch on Maggs Im afraid...was Anita one of Mikes Flames? Certainly couldnt have been her singing that impressed him
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2010, 08:32

Quote (Hastengas @ Dec. 06 2010, 07:15)
Not a patch on Maggs Im afraid...was Anita one of Mies Flames? Certainly couldnt have been her singing that impressed him

They were married and had children! Lasted 5-6 years I think. Maggie is a better singer for sure!

This is how swedish audiences first got to know Anita:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XQenCCjkgE

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Dec. 06 2010, 08:37

They were not married but had two children, Greta and Noah.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2010, 09:48

My word....thats truly awful, she should have stopped then!

So, how many kids has he got that we know of?

Molly.....wasnt there a Dougal? Greta and Noah....anymore? I think I saw somewhere he had 5 Sproglets?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2010, 03:09

- Molly, Dougal and Luke with his girlfriend Sally Cooper
- Greta and Noah with his Girlfriend Anita Hegerland and
- Jake and Eugene with his wife Fanny
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2010, 05:45

When did he meet Fanny? I hadnt heard of her until I read the blog, whats her background?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2010, 09:27

In 1999 Mike became acquainted with the Belgian Fanny Vandekerckhove, a 22 year old law student. At this time Fanny studied in France. Both came close to one another since they inhabited the same hotel where Mike responded to her. Together they celebrated the new millenium in Berlin alongside the premiere of " The Millenium Bell". In April 2003 the two held a secret wedding in France, to which only their closest friends and families were invited.

Edited by manintherain on Dec. 08 2010, 02:38
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2010, 11:53

I thought Fanny was French......
:O

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2010, 12:03

That makes her about the same age as Molly!!!!!!
I wonder what she thinks of that
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2010, 12:25

Quote (yanouch65 @ Dec. 07 2010, 17:53)
I thought Fanny was French......
:O

:/  I also thought that !! Any confirmation ?

..anyways i agree her name has a Belgian consonance but in North of France ( Flandres , close to the Belgian frontier , where a lot of good British boys died during first world war ) people have much names like this one ...
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2010, 19:34

I've heard that she has a franco-belgian ascendence...something like that,although she was born in France (afaik).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2010, 13:25

:D ..So she's French !.... maybe she could talk to us about this in his diary .... i miss to read something about the Oldfield family life ...
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2010, 19:30

Quote (Hastengas @ Dec. 07 2010, 17:03)
That makes her about the same age as Molly!!!!!!
I wonder what she thinks of that

Fanny was born in 1977,while Molly in 1979...

...even with the age difference between her and Mike,things seems to be quite nice for both,Mike's longest loving relationship (afaik),she has put him back on track  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2010, 21:04

Have to say myself that even when I obviously love Maggie Reilly's voice, specially during the album 'Discovery', Anita Hegerland is and has always been for me the favourite vocalist Mike has used for his music.

That crystal-clear, Abba-like Scandinavian voice in 'Pictures in the Dark' or 'Northpoint' have for me no equal, in the whole Mike's vocal catalogue. Having said that, I would add it's a pity Anita had such a short time for showing her talent, and that the last song was 'Innocent', obviously not the one which reflects these talents better.

Nothing has shocked me more about these vocals' topic than having Pepsi Damacque singing 'Moonlight Shadow', a strong, bluesy vocal very suitable for other songs, but not certainly for this delicate and feminine ballad which was impersonated in a no better way by Scottish Maggie Reilly.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2010, 02:07

I particularly like Anita's voice on "Northpoint".  I can't imagine Maggie's voice would have been the right one for that song - for conveying it's darker emotions. When Anita sings there's a depth behind her eyes that I don't see in Maggie's more light and airy style of singing.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2010, 18:11

Quote (Delfín @ Dec. 09 2010, 03:04)
That crystal-clear, Abba-like Scandinavian voice in 'Pictures in the Dark' or 'Northpoint' have for me no equal, in the whole Mike's vocal catalogue.

Of course Anita doesn't have no equivalent voice in all of Mike's catalogue, but she does have an equivalent (and maybe superior) voice elsewhere: Agnetha Fältskog from Abba. :D When you said Abba-like, you hit the nail right on the head, and maybe that's why she sang on so few of Mike's songs: because her stuff sounded too much like Abba! :D I'm a longtime Abba fan and I can guarantee you that it does. Amply. :p

"Innocent" is to me a catchy and well-crafted late-Eighties pop song. But I hate it because of the lyrics - the dumbest-ever lyrics that Mike ever wrote, with "Northpoint" being a very close second. :) What redeems it ("Northpoint", I mean) is its fantastic musical content. "Innocent" is way too short to be redeemed by anything. The video is cool, tho'. :cool:

Regarding "Moonlight Shadow", to me that's one of those songs inextricably connected to the original performer. That's both a good thing, as the song and the voice are very easily recognizable, and a very bad one, as that song cannot really be sung in any other way than the one in which Maggie sang it - whoever tries to sing it in a different style, spoils it. Anita tried and failed. Pepsi tried and failed. It's really impossible to be sung by anyone else than Maggie. It's like singing "Imagine" without doing the ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-oohs before the chorus - no-one can.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2010, 19:39

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 09 2010, 18:11)
Quote (Delfín @ Dec. 09 2010, 03:04)
That crystal-clear, Abba-like Scandinavian voice in 'Pictures in the Dark' or 'Northpoint' have for me no equal, in the whole Mike's vocal catalogue.

Of course Anita doesn't have no equivalent voice in all of Mike's catalogue, but she does have an equivalent (and maybe superior) voice elsewhere: Agnetha Fältskog from Abba. :D When you said Abba-like, you hit the nail right on the head, and maybe that's why she sang on so few of Mike's songs: because her stuff sounded too much like Abba! :D I'm a longtime Abba fan and I can guarantee you that it does. Amply. :p

"Innocent" is to me a catchy and well-crafted late-Eighties pop song. But I hate it because of the lyrics - the dumbest-ever lyrics that Mike ever wrote, with "Northpoint" being a very close second. :) What redeems it ("Northpoint", I mean) is its fantastic musical content. "Innocent" is way too short to be redeemed by anything. The video is cool, tho'. :cool:

Regarding "Moonlight Shadow", to me that's one of those songs inextricably connected to the original performer. That's both a good thing, as the song and the voice are very easily recognizable, and a very bad one, as that song cannot really be sung in any other way than the one in which Maggie sang it - whoever tries to sing it in a different style, spoils it. Anita tried and failed. Pepsi tried and failed. It's really impossible to be sung by anyone else than Maggie. It's like singing "Imagine" without doing the ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-oohs before the chorus - no-one can.

"doesn't have no equivalent voice" - a double negative, Ugo? Perhaps you've been recently listening to "Another Brick in the Wall" :laugh:

As for "Innocent", I think the lyrics are somehow so silly that they transcend silliness - in much the same way that Warhol's pictures of rubbish transcend rubbishiness. Also, I find it hard to see how someone can complain about "Innocent"'s lyrics yet champion Abba. "Digging the dancing queen?" Yecchh!

:D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2010, 02:10

Ugo - what I'd like to know is, why does Anita get all your smilies and Maggie not even one?

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 10 2010, 02:29

Mags had the Gabs.
But Anita was sweeter :D  :laugh:
Profile PM 
21 replies since Aug. 28 2008, 14:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net