Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Moody Blues< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
HRFanUSA Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 08:06

Was wondering if other members on this forum were deeply hooked on the Moody Blues "back in the day."

I purchased "Days of Future Passed" in 1973 and was immediately hooked on the beautiful songs, after hearing "Nights In White Satin" on the radio. "Tuesday Afternoon" continues to be one of my favorites, and I won't deny I love the mellotron used through the entire album.

At the time, along with Tubular Bells, I purchased "Seventh Sojourn" and "Question of Balance," and enjoyed them too.

What are your thoughts?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 10:39

I liked them for a while, and then became bored with them. They began to seem rather "safe" - more Days in Ridiculous Flairs thanNights in White Satin. Of the other members of tubular.net, I believe Sir M thinks they're the bee's knees and the ant's pants rolled into one.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 02:58

!972 for me. My brother bought me Seventh Sojourn and America "Homecoming" on the same day. So I discovered 2 bands that would be impactive to me on the same day. I collected everything available from both as quickly as I could. Moodies took a hiatus to do solo albums till '77's Octave, but the solo albums were good(Hayward/Lodge and Hayward alone anyway). Both bands have been like family for me in good and bad times. "The Present" to me was a throwaway album except for blue world. "Keys to the Kingdom" was way to corny lyrically, but "Strange Times" was a good note for them to say bye-bye. Lots of good listening there. It was like they predicted 9/11 on that last song, "the way ahead is dangerously frought". They were incredibly intelligent and emotional. I'm burned out on MB now, but they sure kept my attention for 3 decades. Especially the 3 or 4 times I saw them. In Dallas, 1990 my brother noted they were the slickest live act he'd ever seen. Listening back to "Caught Live+5" they were slicker 'n hell then too. Pinder did "Sunset" better than the LP......."Gypsy" is better live on that one than the LP as well. I could do this all day......
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2009, 22:24

Well, i didn't find this thread 'till today, but i have to say that The Moody Blues are for me the best rock band in the history of music. better than, in this order, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Alan Parsons Project, Dire Straits, Supertramp, U2, and The Cure.

From 1967 to 1972 thay made a spell of seven conceptual masterpieces I'm gonna rate right now:

1967: Days of Future Passed - 10
1968: In Search of a Lost Chord - 9,5
1969: On the Threshold of a Dream - 9
1969: To Our Children's Children's Children - 9,5
1970: A Question of Balance - 9,5
1971: Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - 10
1972: Seventh Sojourn - 8

After that, as Scatterplot remarks, they had a gap after which they made more albums, which have bein detailed by him. But I can tell you, any of the albums you listen to from that period will get you stunned. They were the real fathers of symphonic rock. And they all composed and sang their own songs, but it does sound as a one real superband, and the amazing thing is them five created songs for the albums, and were the total leaders, lyrically, instrumentally and stylistically of their own songs. The explanation is they were geniuses, and worked together really well.

For me, the responsible number one of my musicianship is Mike Oldfield. Number two goes straight to The Moody Blues.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2009, 23:37

You won't get any argument from me.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2009, 00:57

No, now that I've had time to smoke on this matter, I do have an arguement. Why is Seventh Sojourn the least rated? Other than "Singers in a rock 'n roll band" and "Isn't Life Strange"(my non-favs of the LP), that was their masterpiece of the 7 LP's. It was a much better recording than the previous 6. The ratio of excellent tracks to weak tracks was the highest. Plus, it had the show-stopper "New Horizons". I could do this all day.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2009, 03:21

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 26 2009, 22:24)
But I can tell you, any of the albums you listen to from that period will get you stunned. They were the real fathers of symphonic rock. And they all composed and sang their own songs, but it does sound as a one real superband, and the amazing thing is them five created songs for the albums, and were the total leaders, lyrically, instrumentally and stylistically of their own songs. The explanation is they were geniuses, and worked together really well.

For me, the responsible number one of my musicianship is Mike Oldfield. Number two goes straight to The Moody Blues.

But will they get my clothes whiter than white? :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2009, 03:25

Quote (Scatterplot @ Sep. 27 2009, 00:57)
Why is Seventh Sojourn the least rated?

For what it's worth, The Rolling Stone Record Guide gave Seventh Sojourn four stars, with most of the others getting only three.

As I said, the Bloody Muse were OK, but they erred too much on the side of sounding "safe". The vocals in "Isn't Life Strange" are also pointlessly and annoyingly quavery.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2009, 18:32

Quote (Scatterplot @ Sep. 27 2009, 06:57)
No, now that I've had time to smoke on this matter, I do have an arguement. Why is Seventh Sojourn the least rated? Other than "Singers in a rock 'n roll band" and "Isn't Life Strange"(my non-favs of the LP), that was their masterpiece of the 7 LP's. It was a much better recording than the previous 6. The ratio of excellent tracks to weak tracks was the highest. Plus, it had the show-stopper "New Horizons". I could do this all day.

Completely agreeing with you in both john Lodge's themes to be the weakest of the album, i have to say my tought about it is they were exhausted (as it's proved they were) and that's the reason why they started the following rest.

There was an interview in which they tell they were in a Charter flight, with their own bar, toilet, and even their own piano player, and they felt they were nobody. That's why they dissolved the band in 1972.

The best tunes are Hayward's (as often) but specially John Lodge and Mike Pinder sound moody, (sorry, what did I say???) pessimistic and not as original. For me, the best album in rock story, probably along 'The joshua Tree' and 'Brothers in Arms' is 'Every Good Boy Deserves Favour'.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2009, 21:07

So, has anybody seen them live? If so, where and when?
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 04:06

Yeah in Birmingham UK.. when Sur la Mer had been Released.. Justin was dressed in his frilly white blouse  :cool: ..  Yeah they are Brummies..   Just Well travelled...   Greatest Hits basically with 4 or 5 off the latest Album.. Biggish Audience..  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 08:54

I come here in defence of I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock 'n' Roll Band)! That track might be my second or third favourite on the record. And Isn't Life Strange? is great too.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 10:35

I would enjoy stories if anyone saw them "in the day" like 1973 or earlier. Patrick Moraz was great, but I was too young to ever see Pinder in action.
    I saw them in 1988 at an outdoor concert here in Austin at Zilker Park the first time. Justin had a few frisbee near-misses. It was funny as he played and watched frisbees arc above the stage, never hit them tho. Sur la Mer tour. The 2nd time was 1990 in Dallas. Just prior to Keys coming out. My brother went with me. I had a strange flu virus that started weeks before violently, but strangely stayed with me(it was weird) for weeks, making me get chills then fever. I took aspirin everywhere I went. During the long jam in "Singer's in a Rock 'N Roll Band" my fever broke for good. It was like they "injected" me with health.  Eric Johnson opened for them that evening. If you count(considered a RARE treat at that time) the 1994 Red Rocks VHS tape(all of $45 new then), it was my first close-up glimpse of them(#3?). Finally, in 2000 it was the Frank Erwin Center in Austin. Strange Times tour. Ray did the best "Legend of a Mind" flute solo ever. I finally got to see "Steppin' in a Slide Zone" live + a few other rarities. They've been a juke box running around the world ever since. I had opportunities, but let them go. I wanted to remember them for Strange Times and leave it at that. I've kept sporadic watch over their movements since, but passed, and got videos like the Royal Albert Hall for memories+vintage video from days gone by. Now, if I cue anything up, it's usually "The Day We Meet Again", I love that tune.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
12 replies since Aug. 28 2009, 08:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net