Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Modern-day forum issues, Ikonboard is VERY outdated< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Happy? Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 01 2022, 13:52

I only joined this forum recently, and quite honestly I was a bit disappointed about the very outdated forum software after I registered. I found out that the Ikonboard software hasn't received updates for almost 12 years!. Version 3.1.5a, which I expect this forum runs on, came out in 2010.

Honestly, I'm a bit weary whether my credentials are safe or not. Knowing this, I almost expect my email adress and password to be stored on digital clay tablets in bare text instead of in a modern-day carefully hashed database.

Besides that, there is also no button to report to moderators (if there are any left?). Last week I saw a lot of spam and advertising appearing on the forum, but the postings are still there. Browsing through older threads, I even came across spam posted several months ago.

And of course a lot of modern features are lacking, like embedding YouTube or Vimeo, more intuitive use of layout tags, quotes embedded in text, more personal options, etcetera.

I suspect that Facebook groups and the like may have taken away forum activity a bit, but Facebook is no alternative to an oldskool forum with a rich history like this one.

This forum carries a lot of interesting material, covering two full decades! It deserves to stay online. It deserves to have a huge software update. It deserves to receive more love and attention than it gets today!

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 03 2022, 14:03

Quote (Happy? @ May 01 2022, 13:52)
This forum carries a lot of interesting material, covering two full decades! It deserves to stay online. It deserves to have a huge software update. It deserves to receive more love and attention than it gets today!

I agree! I hope someone has a copy of the contents of this site, in case it goes down and disappears.

The other day I searched for material for another artist that I'm fanatical about, and I realized that a lot of the interviews and articles had disappeared, together with their fansites.
Things posted on facebook just disappear into the ether.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
1 replies since May 01 2022, 13:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net