Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MO on Night Of The Proms< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Almohan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 17 2010, 08:15

I'm starting a new topic because searching for "night of the proms" chain of characters brought nothing back.
So here's my query: has anyone watched the "Best of Night Of The Proms" volume 2 DVD, where MO is seen playing TB? I am pondering over buying the DVD but it is quite expensive so I'd like to know how interesting the MO bit is before ordering.
The thing being, I am trying to get as many TB live renderings as I can possibly find and/or afford.
Thanks a lot in advance for any clue, and my frenchest regards to all.
a.
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2010, 13:22

see 4th post here

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Almohan Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 06:46

Thanks a whole lot: That's just want I needed to know. :)
Now it seems Mike Oldfield goes to a lot of trouble (many musicians, rehearsals, etc.) just to perform a seven-minute long set. Would you know if he attends many of those tv shows?
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2010, 16:43

Just to put it right - that 'Night of the Proms' is not a single show, but a yearly tour with changing guest stars and some 40 gigs all over Europe.
Besides 'Tubular Bells', Mike played that year also a short version of 'Ommadawn', plus 'To France', 'Moonlight Shadow' (vocals by Miriam Stockley resp. Rosa Cedron in Spain) and 'Shadow on the Wall' (vocals by John Miles) - most of them you can see in the YouTube-Thread, except 'To France', which has been cut from the 'Deluxe TV' broadcast:

http://www.youtube.com/v/kLe3inzIJ4Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

IIRC, what Mike liked most about that tour was that he just had to play (and rehearse) his music, but didn't have to care about the business, musicians etc.
Profile PM WEB 
Almohan Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2010, 04:58

Thank you for the additional information.
IIRC, what Mike liked most about that tour was that he just had to play (and rehearse) his music, but didn't have to care about the business, musicians etc.
Plus he got to babble a few foreign languages!
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2012, 12:37

Recent a book about Night of the Proms was published in Belgium, only in dutch. It contains backstage stories, playlists, trivia,...
It mainly focusses on the NotP-shows in Antwerp, from the first edition 28 years ago untill last years... sometimes it also mentions stories and facts from the other parts of the tour; Holland, Germany...

In the pages of 2006 I found following story (translation from dutch)
Autistic
In Germany, the group was faced with Mike Oldfield's inability to communicate. This exceptionally gifted musician and composer, who has enormous worldwide success, was not able to exchange views with the organization in a normal way or even to receive applause a normal way. Jan Vereecke (big boss of NotP) wanted to reach a helping hand, but that turned out wrong. Jan visited him in his lounge and said: "If you don't know how to respond to the appreciation of the public at end of your performance, you can always reach out toward the conductor or the orchestra '- called by Oldfield the best band with whom he ever played.
Dirk Hohmeyer (German boss of NotP) gave Jan the following advice: "I know him, you shouldn't have done that. Go back there tonight, say briefly that you're sorry, do not wait for a reply and walk away." Jan did so. The next few days Oldfield communicated only through Robert (Groslot, the conductor). He gave all his wishes and grievances to the conductor, even if it was the flavor of the tomato sauce. Robert invented a new key for Mike Oldfield: Major Weird. And later, when Oldfield was asked for Night of the Proms in Spain, was one of the conditions that Jan and Dirk would not be present at the rehearsals, that they even wouldn't cross him in the backstage corridors and that one of his songs and not "Land of Hope and Glory" should be the closing act. After the Spanish Proms Oldfields lawyer contacted those of PSE Belgium (NotP promotor) with the express request to never bother Mike Oldfield again in the future. A request which is fulfilled with pleasure.

That really sounds like Mike to me  :D

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2012, 05:17

Bloody hell,that was scary!

I've heard that those gigs were a bit tough for him to do it.I remember when I was at a German fan meeting that he was supposed to attend.Miriam Stockley was there and I spoke to her about Mike not showing up. She said that he was much on his own,barely communicating with the others from the production team."That's how he is".

6 years on,seems that Danny Boyle really really managed to deal with him  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
6 replies since Mar. 17 2010, 08:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net