Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mistakes!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 21 2005, 05:58

I've noticed that Flamenco guitar is listed twice!

African drums aren't listed!

Are there northumbrian pipes on there, or are they samples?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2005, 19:44

The pipes are really there, played by Paddy Moloney. As for the flamenco guitar mistake, yes, it's there as well :). But I think that the whole list of instruments is not entirely serious. :) And BTW, African drums are not listed, but African players are. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 05:20

I think Paddy only plays penny whistle in the last few minutes of the album.

My only disappointment with the album is that Paddy's not on for very long, and he's only in the last few minutes!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 13:32

I can hear a bagpipe somewhere on the Reggae section. It sounds like a bagpipe, but I might be mistaken.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 20:34

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 21 2005, 07:44)
But I think that the whole list of instruments is not entirely serious.

I agree. There was a discussion somewhere here recently about the 'not much synth at all' listing, and how that does not appear to be the case at all. Certainly an intrument listing like that can hardly be 100% serious!   :cool:

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 22 2005, 01:32)
I can hear a bagpipe somewhere on the Reggae section.

What reggae section is that? I never noticed one, and I consider myself very familiar with this album. Then again I don't know what reggae truely sounds like so I probably have missed it.

By the way Sir M, this has been commented on before, but what's with the new avatar? It looks a little, um... freaky might be the way to put it. Evil almost. Scary.  ;)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2005, 10:30

The "Reggae" section is the pleasant bit right after the seven extremely loud bangs, at the beginning of the last section before Africa. It sounds like reggae mostly because of the rhythm of the synth strings, and the bass. But it was most likely just a jokey stab on Reggae. There's a melody being played, and I think it's a bagpipe playing.

Oh, and this is my avatar. I didn't think he looked scary...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2005, 10:46

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 23 2005, 16:30)
[...]There's a melody being played, and I think it's a bagpipe playing[...].

Sorry, Fernando [is this your name... isn't it? :)], but I really don't know what you're talking about. I know perfectly the "Boat Reprise" section, the one from 42:23 to 43:50, with a keyboard-bass rhythm sounding vaguely like reggae. It's one of my fav sections of Amarok. According to Brian Farrell's Amarok Analysis, and to my (cloth?) ears, the instruments being played there are synth strings, fretless bass [playing main melody from 42:30 to 42:51], mandolin [taking up main melody from 42:51 onwards], lead guitar, piano, flamenco guitars and screaming guitars. No bagpipes. :) But I'm pretty sure that there are bagpipes, somewhere in Amarok. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2005, 11:17

I was thinking there was an instrument backing the mandolin, in the higher melody, and the buzzy sound reminded me of a bagpipe. It might as well be just a mandolin, but that buzzy sound is still a bit suspicious. At least to me.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 08:13

Hmm, just for a second I could hear something with the mandolin there, and it might well be a bagpipe. It's quite faint though, so I don't think you could ever decide conclusively. That's very well heard Sir M, I never noticed it until I was deliberately listening for it.

Oh, about the Avatar, he only looks freaky in the little picture: the down sizing makes his grin look a little evil to me.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 12:13

I'm playing this over in my head from memory, and I think there might be some of the melodica in there. There's definitely some synth in that section (I'm hearing synth strings). I also seem to remember coming to the conclusion that the 'fretless bass' is actually a guitar...

I've never heard any bagpipes on Amarok - the Northumbrian pipes which Mike plays have a very cutting sound, which would stick out instantly...and they don't seem to.
Profile PM 
David Mar
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 29 2005, 05:02

The melodica sounds a bit like an Accordian!!

Is there ukulele? I'm not sure I can hear it, unless it's being strummed along with all the other stringed instruments, and mixed together so we can't tell the instruments apart!
10 replies since Jan. 21 2005, 05:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net