Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mistake on Part 4, 12:38, It is really a shame!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2011, 09:12

Quote (CJJC @ July 29 2011, 10:53)
Nice avatar, Captain!

thanks to Tubular.net user Matt, not me, but yes its a good one
Profile PM 
captainknut Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2011, 12:13

Quote (BlueTape @ July 28 2011, 16:30)
Thanks for your email.

We are just waiting to receive the replacement copies of the new master.  As soon as these are received I will arrange for a copy to be sent to you.

Kind Regards,

J** M****
Customer Services Manager

I also sent in my request, and got an immediate reply, verbatim to the one above. They obviously have a standard form email going out to all of us who complain. :)
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 04:51

replacement cd arrived this morning
Profile PM 
iancampbell79 Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 05:46

Same here.  Replacement arrived.  Problem gone.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 05:51

did anyone get replacement Vinyl as well?
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 06:04

Yep, my replacement CD's here as well. I'm in the UK.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Gambit Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 21:00

I hope I can get a replacement disc ! Living in Canada though, its so much harder to get this kind of issue resolved :( !
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2011, 10:32

Any first impressions on the replacement disc?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
acrnjin Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 04:50

Hello, I haven't bought the new Deluxe edition but have intended to do so. As I can only buy online, does anyone know of a store that would sell the fixed version right away? I would hate to wait for weeks for the package to arrive only to recieve the faulty version...
Profile PM 
NeilParsons Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 18:51

I claimed for my new copy a week ago and I'm still waiting for it. However, is it true that glitch has been removed at all or not? Someone says there is a 0,05 sec. gap instead in this new master.  :(  Sounds a bit ridiculous for non-expert ears but I have to check it out once it comes home.

--------------
No incantation at all...
Profile PM WEB 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 06:15

Quote (NeilParsons @ Aug. 17 2011, 01:51)
I claimed for my new copy a week ago and I'm still waiting for it. However, is it true that glitch has been removed at all or not? Someone says there is a 0,05 sec. gap instead in this new master.  :(  Sounds a bit ridiculous for non-expert ears but I have to check it out once it comes home.

Hi! Unfortunately the answer to both of your questions is "yes". I got my replacement disc a few days ago (I live in Finland btw) and I just can't believe this.

Yes, the original edit glitch has been repaired in the replacement cd... but -wait for it- yes, just after the point where the old glitch used to be (at around 12:40 in part 4), there is a moment where the beat comes in a bit too early. And this was not present in the "original" 2011 disc, and needless to say, not present in the earlier versions either.

Maybe it is a 0,05 seconds gap as you mention, I do not know, but the main thing is that anyone who is not a "cloth-eared nincompoop" can hear it - the rhythm is wrong. Subtly, but quite noticeably. As if the vibraphonists were hitting their instruments a bit too early.

It's not quite as bad as the original glitch, but still: I can't believe this, really - how could they let that happen?

One can only ask whether any musicians were involved (or consulted) when they were preparing this "corrected" version.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the new remaster - can't say whether I prefer it to the HDCD version, the sound of the new 2011 master does seem a bit "clearer" in some respects.

It's just indescribably sad that even "corrected" versions can be so inexpertly done, so my ranting is rather directed to the music industry. Why even bother making a correction if you can't do it properly? The result is even more insulting. It's almost like they'd just hastily pasted together a patch without even checking whether it fits; and then they send it to the customers who now should feel thankful? Honestly I don't know what to think since on the other hand when I contacted UMG about this, as most of you undoubtedly did, they promptly promised to send a replacement cd and the service was in fact quite quick and friendly in that respect.

And yet - how dare they say that the replacement master version is "correct"?

Oh well. This is getting almost to the point of being tragicomic so I guess I'll just have to live with what I have, happily this also includes the old HDCD version which I'm not going to easily part with. I'll surely be spinning the 2011 version too, which otherwise sounds quite good but is still marred by the said error.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 08:22

I have just got an email from Universal:

"All the new masters have a blue disc so we do not have any correct orange discs at this time"

So, no replacement disc for the single version!!!!

:(

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
NeilParsons Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 08:46

Oh, well - Received it today and, really, I don't mind to say I'm happy to get another failure cd. Why worry?

--------------
No incantation at all...
Profile PM WEB 
the_elf Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 10:40

Hi all!
(My first post at this forum!;)

Since the part four is one of my absolute favourite pieces of music, I got severe stress attacks from hearing the glitch at 12:38....

Out of frustration I made an edit where I punched in about a minute (from 12:17 to 13:17) taken from the HDCD edition.
It sounds quite well and it's free from clicks and rhythm faults.
Is there a legal way to share this until a proper version is available on disc? (...if anyone's interested, that is...)

My stress attacks have finally ceased, though!!

/Lennart
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 11:51

Actually, I must say that while I find myself more than a bit frustrated over the repeating failures to get a proper 2011 "Incantations" on cd*, I simultaneously find it a bit funny that I should care for what ultimately is such a small dent in a wonderful piece of art that is Incantations.

After all there are much more pressing and disturbing issues in the world.

Silly but maybe it just goes to show that once you love some piece of music enough you tend not to accept anything but the "perfect" version.

(*in fact when I first bought the HDCD version and took it home, the cover and the printing on the cd were faultless and there were no mistakes - apart from the fact that the musical contents was some country rock album! And words fail me when I remember the utter disappointment that was the first ever cd issue of Incantations - with a big chunk of Pt 3 snipped off just like that - horror :p )
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 12:12

Just for your information - I took the trouble of writing a friendly (but stern) email to UMG about this new edit problem, to the address specified earlier in this thread - here's what they promptly answered:

Thanks for your email.

We have had a couple of people mention this to us and we have passed comments onto the label who should be coming back to us soon.

Once I have some feedback for you I will let you know.

Kind Regards,

Let's see... pigs might fly  :cool:
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 13:00

All right,seems that I do have to buy the faulty Incantations Deluxe version,and then send the faulty disc to Universal so they can send me a replacement copy,it that correct?

Wish I could buy the Deluxe with this new master,Part IV is my favorite part of Incantations,so...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 13:27

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 17 2011, 20:00)
All right,seems that I do have to buy the faulty Incantations Deluxe version,and then send the faulty disc to Universal so they can send me a replacement copy,it that correct?

Wish I could buy the Deluxe with this new master,Part IV is my favorite part of Incantations,so...

Yes, that's almost correct - and what many of us seem to have done - however, it must be mentioned that when they sent the (fawlty) replacement disc, they did not require  that the fawlty cd1 should be sent to them, nor did they require any other  proof of purchase; they only asked for your home address. At least this is my experience. The replacement cd came in a "cd single" type of jewel case, with no other cover or anything else - just the cd.

But the problem here is that the replacement copy is fawlty as well, in a different way  :/

See above, and in the other thread... "Incantations reissue available for pre-order" (the last few pages of it)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 20:09

Quote (Sammy @ Aug. 17 2011, 13:27)
[quote=Tati The Sentinel,Aug. 17 2011, 20:00]
But the problem here is that the replacement copy is fawlty as well, in a different way  :/

Does John Cleese guest on this as well?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2011, 03:39

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 18 2011, 03:09)
Quote (Sammy @ Aug. 17 2011, 13:27)
[quote=Tati The Sentinel,Aug. 17 2011, 20:00]

Does John Cleese guest on this as well?  :laugh:

Don't know but it sounds like UMG left the patch editing job to Manuel  ;)
Profile PM 
94 replies since July 22 2011, 12:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net