Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mistake on Part 4, 12:38, It is really a shame!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
neil-h Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 27 2011, 14:45

Hi,
I'm new here. This is my first post!

I too am disappointed about this mastering error and have emailed Universal Music about it.

I had a similar problem with another Universal Music release last year where there was a mastering error. It was on the first CD of the Level 42 "Living It Up" Box Set. Some of the tracks had been mastered into mono. Many Level 42 fans, as you can imagine, were not happy about this (myself included) but luckily a member of the Level 42 forum managed to obtain an email address direct to the person who oversaw the project. Maybe we could do the same here - The sleevenotes say that the project manager is Daryl Easlea, so maybe this is who we need to contact regarding this glitch.

Anyway, about 2-3 months later the Level 42 fans were contacted through the forum and were offered free replacement discs. I emailed the project manager asking for a replacement CD and received it within a few days after my request.

So if Universal can admit that there was a mistake and it will be corrected, then we should all get a replacement disc, but it may be a few months away...

Other than the glitch, I'm enjoying the reissue as the b-sides and bonus tracks are new to me, and any new Mike Oldfield music is welcomed!

Neil
Profile PM 
Dude Offline

Posted: July 27 2011, 17:05

Right now listening to disc 2 for the second time, and I adore the contemporary mixes of Diana. I would have loved to hear the whole album like that.
As mentioned already by other members, the Piano improvisation is also very impressive, and some of the rare tracks are a treat as well.

The remaster does sound slightly better, with a warmer and broader sound - but the sound isn't brighter than on the old cd - which was already very good in that respect. The glitch in part four however is unforgivable, and Guilty somehow doesn't sound right either.

As far as the album-art is concerned, I can't deny that the new front cover photo is beautiful, but it doesn't capture the magic of the original cover - probably due to the abscence of that magical sky.
The reproduction of that original cover on the booklet is just bad. Years ago I scanned the lp-cover on my own scanner to print it on cd-format and it looked just as good as the original lp. If I can do that, then a record company shouldn't have a problem with it either.
However: the photograph on the inside of the digipack is beautiful - and captures the mood of the Hiawatha-part perfectly, mostly because of the red glow (as mentioned in the poem).

In short: the soundquality hasn't improved very much - as it was already quite good on the old cd, and they shouldn't have tampered with the original cover. A full new mix with contemporary influences would have been a real treat (instead of some excerpts) but alas.

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
bionicmic Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 03:59

Quote (bionicmic @ July 27 2011, 18:29)
Hi every one
Just received my DELUXE copy from a web merchant,and I can tell you that it has the same problem on track 4 @12:38 mn.Gonna send them a mail as well as to Universal...And I'll let you know their reply.                                              Mike if ever you read these topics why don't you sack them and find yourself another record company hey ?what d'ya think of that ?

here is Amazon's reply
Hello Michel,

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

From your e-mail, I understand that you find "Incantations (Remastered)" from your order # 203-4750624-9445131 to be defective and I see that you have contacted universal regarding this issue.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused due to this issue.

In this situation, we offer you two options:

1) We would still be very happy to arrange for a replacement for the item to be sent to the same address.
2) Keep the item as an compliment and we can simply issue a refund for the item, along with the associated delivery costs.

Please let us know whether you would prefer us to send a replacement or issue a refund for the item by using the following link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

Hope this helps.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.co.uk.

Warmest regards,
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 04:38

Amazon need to hire customer services people who can write in more convincing English.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
bionicmic Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 05:17

Quote (bionicmic @ July 28 2011, 09:59)
Hi every one
Just received my DELUXE copy from a web merchant,and I can tell you that it has the same problem on track 4 @12:38 mn.Gonna send them a mail as well as to Universal...And I'll let you know their reply.                                              Mike if ever you read these topics why don't you sack them and find yourself another record company hey ?what d'ya think of that ?

here is Amazon's reply
Hello Michel,

From your e-mail, I understand that you find "Incantations (Remastered)" from your order # 203-4750624-9445131 to be defective and I see that you have contacted universal regarding this issue.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused due to this issue.

1) We would still be very happy to arrange for a replacement for the item to be sent to the same address.
2) Keep the item as an compliment and we can simply issue a refund for the item, along with the associated delivery costs.

Please let us know whether you would prefer us to send a replacement or issue a refund for the item by using the following link.

Hope this helps.

Warmest regards,

As to the reply of customer’s service at Universal, their only concern is that I should get a refund through Amazon, and didn’t even bother to apologize about the faulty CD.They will change their attitude once the worlwide distribution starts,ie  you can't find in France until august 22 nd.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 05:52

Good news from Universal:

"Dear Gavin

Thank you for your email regarding Mike Oldfield's Incantations.
The new re-master of Incantations is faithful to the original analogue master tape.  These tapes included an edit point at 12:37 on Part 4 of Incantations which can be discerned as a small jump in the track. Following feedback that this has affected the enjoyment for some listeners, a new master has been prepared and approved by Mike for all subsequent pressings. If you would like us to send you an amended disc please let us have your address details and we will send you one. Please email mk.customerservices@umusic.com for CD and support@universal-music.co.uk for vinyl.

If you have any further enquiries please don't hesitate to contact us: on:support@universal-music.co.uk

Kind regards,
Universal Music"

------

Thanks Mike!
Profile PM WEB 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 06:01

Re-reading the reply above, it appears the original tape is to blame - it presumably has one of those "sellotape" edits that Mike mentioned, hence the jump in the transfer to a digital master.  Bit naive of them to presume we'd prefer a faithful but imperfect transfer to a skillful repair job though.  When the structure of the music is so mathematically precise, the jump really, er, jumps out.
Profile PM WEB 
kazav Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 06:02

Nice one!

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 06:58

Quote (Dude @ July 27 2011, 17:05)
As far as the album-art is concerned, I can't deny that the new front cover photo is beautiful, but it doesn't capture the magic of the original cover - probably due to the abscence of that magical sky.
The reproduction of that original cover on the booklet is just bad. Years ago I scanned the lp-cover on my own scanner to print it on cd-format and it looked just as good as the original lp. If I can do that, then a record company shouldn't have a problem with it either.

I like the new cover a lot but like you, I'm not sure it fits.

Maybe Mike wanted to change the colours on the old cover and have made it less clear on purpose...?  The original cover always looked like a montage, and despite looking murky, the new reproduction looks less tampered with.  maybe this is how the original photo looked and Mike has gone back to the original feel (as he has done soundwise with Guilty)...?  Just a thought.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 07:00

Quote (BornInTheUK @ July 28 2011, 05:52)
Good news from Universal:

"Dear Gavin

Thank you for your email regarding Mike Oldfield's Incantations.
The new re-master of Incantations is faithful to the original analogue master tape.  These tapes included an edit point at 12:37 on Part 4 of Incantations which can be discerned as a small jump in the track. Following feedback that this has affected the enjoyment for some listeners, a new master has been prepared and approved by Mike for all subsequent pressings. If you would like us to send you an amended disc please let us have your address details and we will send you one. Please email mk.customerservices@umusic.com for CD and support@universal-music.co.uk for vinyl.

If you have any further enquiries please don't hesitate to contact us: on:support@universal-music.co.uk

Kind regards,
Universal Music"

------

Thanks Mike!

Fantastic news!!  I'm sending them an email!   :)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
bionicmic Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 07:11

Quote (bionicmic @ July 28 2011, 11:17)
Quote (bionicmic @ July 28 2011, 09:59)
Hi every one

here is Amazon's reply
Hello Michel,

Hope this helps.

Warmest regards,

As to the reply of customer’s service at Universal, their only concern is that I should get a refund through Amazon, and didn’t even bother to apologize about the faulty CD.They will change their attitude once the worlwide distribution starts,ie  you can't find in France until august 22 nd.

Universal,has finally send me the same reply as to  "BornInTheUK"and "familyjules "and I am going to accept the offer
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 07:16

Quote (bionicmic @ July 28 2011, 07:11)
Universal,has finally send me the same reply as to  "BornInTheUK"and "familyjules "and I am going to accept the offer

I didn't get the email, I'm just steaming in as a result of Gavin's fine efforts.  Thank you Gavin!!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 07:33

Just wanted to add my thanks to Gavin. Nice work.
Good customer service from Universal as well.
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 07:42

i have not ordered deluxe yet so im wondering if should buy now since this "first" faulty press might become collectible later :P

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 07:43

Quote (Highlander @ July 28 2011, 07:33)
Just wanted to add my thanks to Gavin. Nice work.
Good customer service from Universal as well.

Amen to that!

I feel ashamed for my earlier cynicism.  I'm absolutely delighted.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 07:46

Quote (Hifiguru @ July 28 2011, 07:42)
i have not ordered deluxe yet so im wondering if should buy now since this "first" faulty press might become collectible later :P

I've never understood people who would collect defective pressings.

I'd advise hanging back for a couple of months until the corrected versions are in circulation.  But hey, if the worst comes to the worst and you get a faulty one, at least now you know that you can write in for a replacement disc.

Of course if you're feeling opportunistic then you could buy it now and get two copies of Disc 1!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 07:57

Thanks to Gavin !
I was told earlier this week that Universal were not going to do anything about the problem .
So here hoping .
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 08:05

Got an email back straight after I sent mine .
Saying to send my address and as soon as the new disc was available they would send it out .

Cool
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 08:15

you could well be correct...    :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 08:18

Quote (familyjules @ July 28 2011, 07:46)

I've never understood people who would collect defective pressings.

I'd advise hanging back for a couple of months until the corrected versions are in circulation.  But hey, if the worst comes to the worst and you get a faulty one, at least now you know that you can write in for a replacement disc.

Of course if you're feeling opportunistic then you could buy it now and get two copies of Disc 1!

Jules

Well since im basically collector only i would see this as opportunity to get both versions...universal will call back all current stocks and starting to deliver fixed press to resellers? or they let sell all current faulty ones out first and doing replacements if anyone want to do?

If i rememer they did this replacement thing also when TB ultimate vinyls were almost all dirty and scratched but i didnt bother to get replacement then.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
94 replies since July 22 2011, 12:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net