Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Millennium Bell DVD in U.S./Canada/Japan in August< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 26 2001, 22:20

The 'Millennium Bell (Live In Berlin)' DVD should be released in the UK on Jul 9 (order it at Amazon.co.uk), and according to Art In Heaven, Warner Vision wants to release it in U.S. and Canada in August. According to Warner Music Japan, it will be released in Japan (region 2, NTSC) on Jul 25.
(Thanks, Matthew Grace)
[updated Jul 07]
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 27 2001, 08:32

It sounds beatifull, but I will believe it when I see this DVD released in USA. I don't have much faith in Warner company anymore.
christopher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 28 2001, 08:44

well its about freakin time warner actually released something in america!!!!!! they have screwed us more than i care to remember or count... so i say thank you IF and WHEN this release happens!! :-) but as Arunas said... ill believe it when i see it!!!

thank you to Art in Heaven for caring about the US as they atleast made it available in NTSC format from their website for us over here... thank you to warner for getting off their lazy asses and getting it done for once!!!

all the best :-)

christopher

ps To Warner Music Vision: you know it might help like any NORMAL company to try and get a product such as this out and in the publics hands just after the actual event... oh but then again you are NOT a normal company with very intellegent execs... but thats just my opinion... then again what do i know im only a musician and a marketing guy too!!!
Profile PM 
Stuart Breed Offline

Posted: June 29 2001, 01:12

I have read about a chip that can be installed into most DVD players, that will make them Multi regional. The chip costs about $50 and can be bought online. Unlike video, DVD works on in a completely different way and I'm led to believe that regions were a sales scheme invented by the manufactuers of DVDs.

--------------
Stu
Profile PM WEB 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: June 29 2001, 01:24

ok, japan, USA... not offending but what about the biggest oldfield market (spain)? are we gonna be able to buy it without having to use the VISA (which I do not have)?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Stuart Breed Offline

Posted: June 29 2001, 01:29

Asia follow up to my last post, I'm adding the following web address.

http://www.wotnext.com/welcome.asp?x=http://aolsearch.aol.com/dirsearch.adp?start=&from=topsearchbox.%2Fdirsearch.adp&query=multi+regional+dvd+playersMic4.0

--------------
Stu
Profile PM WEB 
Stuart Breed Offline

Posted: June 29 2001, 01:37

Sorry, try this.

http://www.wotnext.com/f/recdisp.asp?rno=128476971

--------------
Stu
Profile PM WEB 
merlin2k1 Offline

Posted: July 01 2001, 12:49

For those in the US, keep those fingers and toes crossed, I bought a universal DVD player that decodes all regions so I could view Mikes videos that we won't see here, like the fellow said before me "I'll believe it when I see it!" I ordered one from Amazon.Uk just to get one, if it comes out here I'll get one of those too!

--------------
Bruce
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 09 2001, 11:38

Today i went to Virgin megastore in Southampton to buy the D.V.D which was supposed to be released today!!,when i got there i could'nt find it on the shelf so i asked if they had it in stock,only to be told that yes it is supposed to be released today but it has been put back till next month.So i tried Tower records,and it was'nt there either,but when i asked about it here,they said that it is released today,but they don't have it in stock,but she said i can order it from them,and have it in 2 weeks.Please somone tell us what is really going on with this D.V.D?
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: July 12 2001, 14:46

I have had the DVD on order now through www.play247.com for over 2 months!!! - First it was going to be end of June, then it went to 9th July, and now after waiting eagely all week for it to arrive I checked their website and it says "out now waiting for delivery of stock", however if I check my orders page it says "Due for release on 06/08/2001" !!!!!arrrrhhh!!1 What on earth is going on with this DVD!!!!!
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 12 2001, 15:52

I looked for it here on its original supposed release date (whenever that was...). After having no luck finding it, I checked on the net again, found the release date had been shifted...That was when I decided to order it from Germany. Cost me about £21 from amazon.de including postage, which isn't too different to what I reckon it would cost from amazon.co.uk. If you don't want to wait, I'd recommend doing the same (that is, if you can either understand german yourself or have someone to help you).

It's just unfortunate that people in the US can't do something similar (I believe there are some multi region DVD players floating around in the US. I know people who've had success playing them on their computers as well - the region locks are easier to change).

I suppose we'll have to see what happens, but if they haven't even got round to releasing it outside of Germany yet, it does make you wonder...
I assume it's some kind of licensing problem that's causing the hold-up.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: July 13 2001, 18:12

I've checked a number of mainstream US DVD sites (dvdplanet, dvdpricesearch, warner home video, et al.) and none of them have any information about this disc. If it had been officially announced for a US release, it would be on those sites by now.

Sorry everyone, no Jarre parity on the DVD front yet. :-)
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2001, 19:45

Wow, finally found the dvd - about two months after it was supposed to arrive. As a dvd I found it a bit disappointing: the so-called 'making of' doesn't give any interesting information and is very short, and the interview with Mike is just about solely concentrating on the Art In Heaven project. The Art In Heaven piece itself (12 minutes) is nice though, but the video montage of it means that you see more montage and blend-ins than actual 'Art in Heaven'.

The concert itself, however, is a joy to watch. First time I saw Mike play such classics as Tubular Bells 1, Portsmouth, Moonlight Shadow and Shadow on the Wall. The last one was especially great since the lead vocals are by Pepsi Damaque, giving the classic song a new twist. Her performance during the whole concert adds a bit of spontaneousness and enthusiasm (watch 'Mastermind') which were a bit lacking in the TBII and TBIII concerts (not that those concerts weren't classics in themselves). Mike seems to be enjoying himself too as he plays away during the classic songs and the Millennium Bell ones.

Sound and picture quality are great (although fireworks are a bit too prominent for my taste on 'Broad Sunlit Uplands') and the performances are great and fun to watch.
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2001, 21:22

The only hope for fans in the U.S. so far is to buy the Japanese region 2 NTSC DVD. I just received my copy Monday August 6. It has nice quality picture and sound, but does have a high level of editing which becomes annoying at times. But I'm not comlaining - I'm just glad I have it. As always in the U.S., I'm not holding my breath for any official release over here. However, stay away from expensive U.S. music/video importers and order it directly from Japanese/global web sites and retailers.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 09 2001, 12:48

Interesting DVD differences:

I have 2 DVDs of the concert as you very well know, and just as I was about
to send the extra one back, I noticed something differ on them both.

Frontcover on the "newly" issued DVD

The Text on the front cover are as follows:

The ART IN HEAVEN Concert
MIKE OLDFIELD
THE MILLENNIUM BELL - LIVE IN BERLIN

including

CLASSIC SONGS

bla bla bla

THE MILELNNIUM BELL

13 Minute special: ART IN HEAVEN

Directed by Gert Hof

- OK - not so much to say about that really - but the INTERSTING THINGS
are:

1: The ART IN HEAVEN Concert text is removed on the German Issued DVD...
2: Gert Hof is NOT mentioned on the German issued DVD...
3: The German issued DVD is in DVD format 5...
4: The "Newly" released DVD is in DVD format 9... (DVD format 9 is DUAL
LAYER for those who didn't know)
5: The fonts are not the same on the 2 covers...
6: German DVD is P+C 2000 - the "new" is P+C 2001 (hmmm - makes you wonder
if it's re-cut or something)

Questions to be asked:

- why is the cover re-layouted? (especially since the same company (STT!)
is credited for the layout)
- why is the text and fonts altered?
- why is the DVD format changed?
- why is the Cat. Nr. on both DVDs the same if it's altered?
- is the PCM sound track made in stereo this time, instead of MONO as it
first was?
- is the sound changed to the better, as apposed to the first issued DVD
having many flaws in the sound?

all these questions and more may be asked - but whom shall we ask ?

I talked to Warner Music Denmark and Art in Heaven today and the answers to
the above quetions were:
None!.... they have absolutely no idea why it was all changed...

A note about the region 1: It's not - and I repeat NOT going to be
released - and this is DIRECTLY from both Warner and AiH.

...I will try to find more answers to give you, but so far this is all I
got!

posh!

Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 11 2001, 17:19

The Berlin DVD has now been released in the UK and Ireland.

It is superb. Sound is perfect and all surrouning in 5.1 Dolby Digital. The PCM Stereo is excellent too.
The picture is flawless also.
The DVD contains the original 55 min. concert footage of the VHS version plus:

1. Nice animated menus

2. 'Art in Heaven' special 13 minute track

3.Interview with Mike, listening to his conversations with 'Art in Heaven' people.

4.An 8 minute 'Behind the Scenes' featurette on the preperation to the concert.

All in all, very nice, if a little pricey.

Stg.£ 24.99

Regards,

Pat Gleeson.

Alnilam Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2001, 16:39

Well I searched all throughout coming soon lists of numerous different online video brokers, none of which had this DVD. As others have said, I'll believe it when I see it. I was really dissapointed when I saw the other concert videos were "never to be released in america," and I was a bit excited when I heard this one was going to be released here. Well, it's August, where is it?
Alnilam

--------------
-Alni
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2001, 03:02

and the big question is Paul...

when is warner planning to release that damn DVD in america?????????? it is almost the end of august and there has been nothing on its release here!!! im getting rather impatient and mad at mike and warner... this is not right and really shitty to do to the fans on the other side of the pond!! we buy his cd's just the same as anyone else you know!!

anyway... im just venting and wondering... any info would be greatly appreciated... thanx!

christopher
Profile PM 
flyrod1 Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2001, 22:43

I like the rest of us poor folk in Canada and the U.S. don't get the luxuries of enjoying Mike Oldfield DVD's. The big question is WHY???
In only have the comfort of Video I taped off of the TV last year. Hopefully we will get some released in the NEW WORLD soon.
Cheerio for now.
flyrod1
Profile PM 
18 replies since June 26 2001, 22:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net