Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Millenium Bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
mike arnold Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 30 1999, 14:11

It was a great surprise to be able to pick up Mike's new album on November 29th at the local A&B Sound store, a full day before it's advertised release in Canada. My overall impression is that this is yet another good, steady album from Mike. He really does seem to have returned to form since teaming up with Warners. Will the cd buying public be as generous in giving the album a fair chance. I hope so, but somehow think otherwise.

'Peace on Earth' is a beautiful opener. A quite stunning track which brings back memories of the openings to 'The Songs of Distant Earth' and 'TB3'. Great to see Mike using an orchestra, this time with the most amazing chorals and vocals by Miriam 'Adiemus' Stockley. I'm still awestruck.

'Pacha Mamma' has catchy, rhythmic vocals. It really fits well on the cd.

'The Santa Maria'...I've only listened to the whole album once over and can barely remember this one. Maybe that's an indication that it didn't make too great an impression, but let's give it few more listens.

'Sunlight Shining Through Cloud' is a very different track from Mike, and most interesting. The dialogue really does set the tone of the slavery trade. What a marvellous piece.

'The Doges Palace' is a pleasant piece of music which fits well on the album. Can't say more that that right now.

'Lake Constance' is a track that I found to be quite pituresque. There is a great deal of warmth to this rare orchestral piece. Is this an indication that Mike may be considering an orchestral album someday? Hope so.

'Mastermind' has a wonderful rhythm and fantastic drums played by Simply Red's drummer. Not quite what I expected after all the internet hype, but good in it's own way.

'Broad Sunlit Uplands' begins reasonably strongly, initially evoking powerful memories of WW2, but the 'home on the range' harmonica bit lost me. Maybe I missed the point and somebody wouldn't mind filling me in on what's happening here?

'Liberation' is very passionate in detailing the passages from Anne Frank's diary. It maybe would have benefited from being it's own piece, with the second section, which appears to signify the more recent technological evolotion of man, as another separate piece.

'Amber Light' is an excellent track, and probably my immediate favourite upon first listening. Is Nelson Mandela really going to put some narrative onto a proposed single release? If so, this one has the potential to be massively popular. The up-beat mood and stunning african style vocals really make the track.

'The Millenium Bell'....well I've listened to this one about three times now and still it puzzles me why the album is called 'The Millenium Bell' with this big tubular bell on the front cover of the cd. There is just one 'dongggggg!' and that's it. The track itself is just fine, apart from the interrupted 'dongggggg!" which appears to be totally out of place. Apart from this, there are no bells to talk of. The 'dongggggg' must be symbolic of the old millenium passing to the new, I guess. Another few listens are required I think!

Overall, a very different sounding and refreshing cd from Mike. It's good to know that some artists are continually willing to step outside of their perceived images and try something different. Although, I hope that Mike doesn't stop making music in the traditional sense, as was suggested in the recent internet posting of his Spanish interview. Good luck in Berlin to Mr. Oldfield. May you have wonderful success.

Profile PM 
0 replies since Nov. 30 1999, 14:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net