Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mikes worst: Runaway son< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 21 2004, 15:59

I must confess that Runaway son from earth moving is terrible and noisy!
Do you think that?
I cant find my self listening to it, ive tried! But I cant!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 18:44

Mike's worst-ever song IMHO [apart from "Speak", of course... :D] is on the same album: it's the title track. :) The so-called 'Disco' version of it, with different vocals, is 10000 times better than the album version. Always IMHO. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 21 2004, 19:11

Actually, 'Runaway Son' is one of my favourites from Earth Moving. It's very catchy, I have to admit, and the ramblings and speeches through it are hilarious. Remind me of the Brian Eno / David Byrne collaboration "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts".

Mike's worst song ever, for me, will always be 'Magic Touch'. Of course, I'm talking "songs" here, because if I was talking about his worst tracks ever, then I'd have *plenty* of options from his 1992-onwards era. I can name dozens of Oldfield tracks that are worse than 'Speak (Tho' You Only Say Farewell)'. I actually like that one!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 19:21

I like Chris Thompson's vocal talents,but what destroys this tune is the horns part,disgusting!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 20:01

Wasn't Earth Moving the song that was intended to be sung by Michael Jackson? :D Anyway, I also like the 'Disco' version rather than the original - the guitar solo is fantastic there. The '7" version' is also slightly better IMHO.

About Runaway Son: I don't have any problem with it, I also feel it catchy. My least favourite song by Mike is Nothing But. I don't hate it at all, it's just an average song. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 20:16

Anyway, if you know anything about the growling lyrics in Runaway Son, don't hesitate to write to the Complete lyrics of 'Runaway Son' topic. :D OK, I know I'm mad...

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 20:20

Quote (Ugo @ April 21 2004, 18:44)
Mike's worst-ever song IMHO [apart from "Speak", of course... :D] is on the same album: it's the title track. :) The so-called 'Disco' version of it, with different vocals, is 10000 times better than the album version. Always IMHO. ;)

IMHO?  
Anyway, I like the disco version of earth moving. Its so much better!!!!!
I dont no, why I dont like Runaway son. Someway it gives me bad feeling  :/

talking about: Magic touch! Its the same feeling! Dont dont like it! Its too noisy and 80's. The same about make make and mr.shame actually... but not so much!
Profile PM 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 20:22

Quote (EeToN @ April 21 2004, 20:16)
Anyway, if you know anything about the growling lyrics in Runaway Son, don't hesitate to write to the Complete lyrics of 'Runaway Son' topic. :D OK, I know I'm mad...

ha ha!!!
We all have our own taste!
Sorry but i dont have it ha ha....
Profile PM 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 20:35

Ok now im listening to it!
Ohh mother please save me la la la la :laugh:

Well... idont like the way he singing.... hm....
did he say satan??? hm... well he did.
And that scrrrreeeeaaaaming voice and terrible choir in the background..
Well now Im playing "I can see the light". Thats better. Good gitars and sound. I can feel Top Gun atmosphre in this song..

Earth moving its ok! But the other version is better!

Hostage...  Another terrible brick in the wall

the other songs; Holy, blue night +++ its better! I like Blue night very much!  ;)
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 22 2004, 06:04

runaway son is bad :/  but i do like hostage very much :)

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: April 27 2004, 09:25

Well, Earth Moving (the song) has always been one of my favorites from that album.  Something about the ambience created in the actual production, I just find appealing.  My next favorite would be Bridge to Paradise.

And I do like Magic Touch.  The One from the LP with the white cover with the cube shapes on it.  Whichever vocalist that was, can't ever remember that whole deal.
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 27 2004, 09:31

The singer in the US version is Max Bacon, the same guy who yells his lungs out in Hostage. His work on Bridge To Paradise is quite fine, though.

Hostage makes my ears bleed, by the way.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: April 29 2004, 11:01

Yeah, I have one of Max Bacon's "solo" albums, which seems to be just a collection of songs from various sources.  Some of it is really good, while some songs are terrible.

I used to have the U.S. version of Islands on CD, which I traded when I got the HDCD remaster.  Wish I had never done that.  The running order of the songs on the U.S. made more sense to me, maybe just because I was so used to it.

Oops, this is supposed to be the Earth Moving thread.
:)
Jonatha Pike
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 04 2004, 22:29

Can't agree with the comment that 'Magic Touch' is Mike's worst song. Most people don't realise that this track reached number 10 on the USA Billboard Album Rock charts in Feb 1988.
This song was up against Def Leapard/INXS and the like. it was probably his most commercially successful hit in the USA, ever, period.
I'm not sure what 'Moonlight Shadow' did in the US charts back in 83' but I'm certain it didn't do as good as 'Magic Touch'. This song was on the playlists of many rock stations  around the world including Australia and Germany. What other MO song had as much airplay other than 'Moonlight Shadow', 'To France', single edit of 'Tubular Bells, 'Five miles Out' and perhaps 'Man In The Rain.
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2004, 07:40

Quote (Guest @ Dec. 04 2004, 22:29)
Can't agree with the comment that 'Magic Touch' is Mike's worst song. Most people don't realise that this track reached number 10 on the USA Billboard Album Rock charts in Feb 1988.
This song was up against Def Leapard/INXS and the like. it was probably his most commercially successful hit in the USA, ever, period.

I'm surprised it reached that high at all. I never heard it on any radio station. The only exposure I found for it in the US was when I managed to see the last half of the "Magic Touch" video once on VH-1. "VH-1" was then, as it usually is, a kind of leftovers network (the real hits were on MTV, which was music television in 1988).

In 1974, the "Tubular Bells" single made it as high as either #4 or #7 in the US charts (I forget which, and cannot find the definitive reference), which would make that one the most successful commercial hit.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2004, 11:13

Quote (Guest @ Dec. 04 2004, 22:29)
I'm not sure what 'Moonlight Shadow' did in the US charts back in 83' but I'm certain it didn't do as good as 'Magic Touch'. This song was on the playlists of many rock stations  around the world including Australia and Germany. What other MO song had as much airplay other than 'Moonlight Shadow', 'To France', single edit of 'Tubular Bells, 'Five miles Out' and perhaps 'Man In The Rain.

Eh, 'Moonlight Shadow' made it much, much better than 'Magic Touch' - it's one of the very few tracks that people STILL recognise as Mike Oldfield. 'Magic Touch' just went into the trashbin of cheesy, overreaching 80's synth pop anthems. 'Moonlight Shadow', 'To France' and 'Five Miles Out' don't deserve the humiliation of being put against 'Magic Touch'.

Last, but not least, JUST BECAUSE A SONG/ALBUM SOLD MILLIONS AND TOPPED CHARTS EVERYWHERE DOESN'T MEAN IT'S GOOD. If that was the case, we'd have to count Creed and Limp Bizkit as excellent bands.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2004, 23:14

Dang. I was just about to look up the list of chart positions of MO's songs that is on the Amarok website, but the whole site has been removed. I can't remember how Magic Touch went in America, but I would definately consider Moonlight Shadow the more famous song.

About his worst song, I was about to nominate 'Innocent', but I heard it on the Elements DVD yesterday and it was actually kind of catchy. I don't like it by any stretch, but it's not as bad as I thought it was. Plus, I could never dislike a song that uses the word 'omnipotent'  ;) From what I remember (I haven't listened to Earth Moving for over a year) Hostage is pretty bad.

Oh, by the way: if a song gets high in the charts and stays there for a while, I say that means it has at least some musical value, or else why would so many people buy it? They normally first hear it on the radio or TV, and decide 'that's good, I think I'll buy that'.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2004, 05:15

Quote (raven4x4x @ Dec. 05 2004, 23:14)
Oh, by the way: if a song gets high in the charts and stays there for a while, I say that means it has at least some musical value, or else why would so many people buy it?

The media has a frightening power. How do you think it's possible that so many teenagers love Limp Bizkit's cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" to death? Okay, 'Magic Touch' isn't quite as bad, but... well, I made my point.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2004, 09:32

Quote (raven4x4x @ Dec. 05 2004, 23:14)
I can't remember how Magic Touch went in America, but I would definately consider Moonlight Shadow the more famous song.

In the United States, "Magic Touch" received little play, but did appear on VH-1. "Moonlight Shadow" was much less famous, actually.  I would have never known the song existed, except that I sought out "Crises" and heard it on the album.

Far and away the biggest hit "from Mike" during this time was "Family Man", but this was the Hall and Oates version. It got heavy play for a while.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 15:55

Sounds like a Cliff Richard track, which isn't a good thing, but it would sell well! :p

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
49 replies since April 21 2004, 15:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net