Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's voice on Five Miles out< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 14 2007, 18:11

I've listened again to Supernova a few minutes ago, spurred by the comments above. IMHO it's definitely a voice singing the first three notes, followed by a sample of the same voice (see below).  The voice sounds to me very like Mike - just compare this with the "ke" syllable in "Kin-KE-se, key-KE-se" from Altered State, or with the "Woh-oh-OH!" in Heaven's Open. :)

What happens in Supernova, I think, is that Mike sings the first three notes (Woh-uh-oh...), then the last "oh" is sampled, the sample is carried onwards on a synth (with a flute/bagpipe sound on top) and actually played on it - with the keyboard, not pitch-bent. That's why the rest of the passage (four more notes) sounds artificial. But I guess it's really made to sound that way. :D

@ Mat: You're right about Cher, it's the AutoTune plug-in for ProTools. That's how she did that, and that's how Madonna and all the others did that after her. :) I think the producers wanted to advertise Digitech rather than saying what the effect really was...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 12 2009, 10:29

Mike is giving a particular performance in "Five Miles Out".  I think he's trying to impart the feeling of anxiety engendered by nearly dying in an aeroplane in a storm.  He succeeds brilliantly in my opinion.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 14 2021, 03:43

What I have always noted about Mike's "Just hold your heading true..." vocal, is that it sounds like the same take repeated again and again. The sung phrase it about a second long, which is like the maximum sampling time of the Fairlight machine he used.

I agree that it sounds a bit "posh", but it fits the dramatic context of the song. He seemed to prefer the "hesitant" singing style that he used on "Rite of Man"!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
22 replies since May 03 2004, 05:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net