Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's videos....?????< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 26 2004, 07:35

After watching the new Elements DVD I can't help thinking how inappropriate the visuals are to the music in most videos.

Earth Moving for instance is all about rubbish and toxic waste.Blue Peter shows people on Hovercrafts and various flying machines.And what on earth is Innocent about????Mike doing an impersonation of Jean Michel Jarre?

Also, most videos are of Mike posing and showing off what he has and can do.I think he is a tad egotistical.

It is still fun to watch though.For a talented artist he does have a very tacky approach to things and also his sense of humour is stange to say the least.He just does not look comfortable singing or acting in his videos.I think He seems more natural when he is just playing his instruments.

;)
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2004, 09:42

Mike is 100% egocentric.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2004, 19:22

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Dec. 26 2004, 15:42)
Mike is 100% egocentric.

Sure he is. If he wasn't, would he have recorded the whole of TB by himself? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Falc04 Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2004, 13:18

Quote (ian @ Dec. 26 2004, 07:35)

Sure wished this was released in a "region 1" DVD edition, for us folks in the states.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 27 2004, 16:04

Elements is a region 0 disc, so it'll work in all regions. It is however PAL rather than NTSC - most NTSC players probably won't like it very much.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2004, 17:51

Every DVD player I've tried in the States has played PAL as well as NTSC. So far, anyway.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2004, 18:55

Yay - I got the Elements DVD for Christmas....can't wait to check it out when I get back home.....

:)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 28 2004, 00:33

Quote (hiawatha @ Dec. 27 2004, 22:51)
Every DVD player I've tried in the States has played PAL as well as NTSC. So far, anyway.

That's useful to know - I've heard people complaining that theirs wouldn't do it (or perhaps they had just assumed that their wouldn't do it).

Anyway, to the topic, I don't believe that Mike had much input into the content of the videos. Posing is often what video directors want, and probably not what Mike wants to do - hence his looking rather uncomfortable in many of them.

Earth Moving, I suppose they're attempting to interpret it as having some kind of ecological message about planet earth being 'moved' (or rather changed) by man...which is of course miles away from what it seems to really be about, but I guess they felt that if they showed people 'making the earth move for each other', it wouldn't get played on MTV :D
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2004, 09:18

Quote (Korgscrew @ Dec. 28 2004, 00:33)
but I guess they felt that if they showed people 'making the earth move for each other', it wouldn't get played on MTV :D

As it never made it to MTV anyway....

Another example of the video having nothing to do with the song is "Crime of Passion".  It is almost like a "concept" video for something, but the concept has nothing to do with the song.

The video for "Blue Peter", as I mentioned earlier, looks like nothing other than a live version of the "Mario Kart" videogame. They should have dressed Mike up as Mario, and had a few guys in big balloony "Barney"-like Koopa and Donkey Kong suits along for the ride.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
sister_in_the_dark Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2004, 16:32

I like the videos if there's enough Mike in it:) And I also don't mind that he plays any guitar sound with only one guitar as long as he wears those 80's clothes in the videos  ;)

--------------
...spin the wheel of fortune or learn to navigate...
Profile PM 
keith dawe
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 29 2004, 07:59

The DVD is available in Canada as a Region 0 and NTSC standard.  Americans can get it as an import.
10 replies since Dec. 26 2004, 07:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net