Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mikes Music, Now we are talking mood music< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 23 2008, 19:39

I have only just discovered Mike's music, where was I all those years? Mike is truly an intelligent, truly gorgeous guy, and his music has sent me straight to heaven. Keep writing Mike, and keep smiling maestro.

Cheers
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 20:47

Hi Deb.  If you are catching up with the music you are in for some GREAT times.  And in joining this board you have just become significantly cooler.

:)
Profile PM 
five miles out Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 21:48

Deb you have some real treats in store.  I have followed Mike and his music over many years and I have to say he is getting better and better.  I love Music of the Spheres and Tr3s Lunas, but TB II and TB III were fab too.

On another tack, just spotted an album called "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" at www.hmv.com which appears to be the work of David Bedford and Mike.  Anyone know any more about it?  No samples at hmv, and no further information.  

Hope to learn more... :)
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: April 24 2008, 04:40

Hi Deb. Yes, blessed with Talent and still a bit of a Dish.    ;)

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 24 2008, 09:26

Hi Five Miles Out.The Rhyme of The Ancient Mariner was a David Bedford solo album released in 1975.It was inteneded as a musical adaptation to the prosse added to the original poem and not a literal musical interpretation.Mike does appear throughout on guitar (most noticebly on The Rio Grande).It's a very strange album.You really need to be in the right mood to get into it as it's very much a tone peom rather than really melodic.I believe Amazon were suggesting it as a companion to MOTS.Chalk and cheese IMHO but it's worth having.
By the way....welcome aboard Deb!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
five miles out Offline

Posted: April 24 2008, 22:32

Really appreciate that, Caveman,thanks.  It explains why it doesn't appear in discographies on this site or elsewhere.  Not sure if I fancy it as Mike is not the composer,then, but might be worth a listen.  

Regards, FMO :D
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 25 2008, 09:03

You're welcome mate.As i say it is a good peice of music in it's own right but maybe something of an aquired taste.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 01:54

A year ago i had discovered mikes music, and described it as real mood music, and there is more to come from the eternally young and talented boy from reading, he has had a stellar journey and the new project will re affirm his talent as a guitarest, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 04:27

Deb i do belive you know something about a planned project.I've noticed you dropping hints about 'a suite of new gear' and about him re-affirming his reputation as a guitarist.Now i know you are,as you have said,sworn to secrecy,but can you not give us a clue?????This kind of thing has a habit of,as Steve Marriot once said,"doing me crust in" :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 06:42

Mike will make an official announcement in due course, but he is not retiring, and he only announces new projects when perfect, be patient,at least more works by mike are go, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 08:45

I shall wait and see (grumble mutter grrr).If MOTS is any indication then he hasn't lost it at all so whatever it is will be worth the wait.Maybe something with electric guitar.As we've all said a million times he's a unique electric guitarist so i'd love to see him bare his teeth (and his soul)like he used to and let rip.
 Is it really only a year since you got into Mike?Wow.I've been a fan since before i could walk.Over 30 years and still a fan.To be fair although i've always loved his music it wasn't untill my teens that i started to really appreciate him as i got into music far more deeply when i started to play.The older you get the more refined your ears become and there isn't a guitarist on earth that has the ability to move me like Oldfield.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 12:10

Gee Deb, that's like only discovering Star Trek(and the spin-offs and movies) a year ago. I envy you. Here's some food for thought since I just rolled over 900 posts(Deb is catching up fast!;)

There are 3 couples all in a car. They have a major crash and all die. They find themselves standing in Heaven waiting to be judged by the Lord. God looks at the first couple and says "All you cared about was money! Your wife's name is Penny for cryin' out loud! You're going to hell!" Zap, they dissapear. Then He looks at the second couple and says "All you cared about was drinking! For cryin' out loud your wife's name is Sherry! You're going to hell!" Zap, they dissapear. While all this is going on, the husband of the third couple looks at his wife and says, "Let's get out of here, we don't stand a chance Fanny".

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 04:08

Yes those two are well matched, mike and fanny have weathered many a storm, but their love  for one another, and commitment is rock solid, fanny is french and mike knows he is one lucky guy, deb
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 04:32

Last year I had the good fortune to be a trusted friend. I blew it! How do you cope with a famous person confiding in you? I was a complete twat! Meanwhile I remain a loyal fan if nothing else. Regarding future projects "I KNOW NOTHING" but hoping there will be ripples in the pond soon. Deb
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 06:32

Quote (ex member 419 @ Jan. 14 2010, 04:32)
How do you cope with a famous person confiding in you?

Cope in what way ex member - do you mean you were starstruck?

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 06:54

Hi Wiga no I wasn't star struck like a bowl of jello in the knees, just humbled and gob smacked to be a friend to him. My daughter and I have family ties to the family. He was a lovely man, but I didnt think I deserved his friendship and ended up causing grief to Mike, my daughter and myself. Im a total twat! IM SORRY MIKE, I WAS A LOUSY FRIEND. Ok Tubes start hitting me with brick bats. Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 06:59

And why exactly would we do that ex member?What went on is your business and your business only.We're all friends here.I dunno what happened but sh*t happens mate and since i don't know what happended i'm not throwing brick bats or anything at anyone. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 07:20

Thanks Caveman, Im lucky to have friends like you. I had to clear the air and not harm Mike's reputation any more. He is a kind, lovely man and has hurt a great deal. Nothing can save friendship when its gone, a life lesson for me. Back to Mike's music, I do love MOTS, his finest classical work. Deb
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 09:39

Quote (ex member 419 @ Jan. 14 2010, 07:20)
Nothing can save friendship when its gone, a life lesson for me.

ex member - you sound glad to have got that off your chest. :)

You know a few angry words and misunderstanding don't necessarily have to break a friendship, not a close friendship anyway, it can be all worked through and strengthened.

The 'friendships' on here I would class more as friendly associations or allies, but I have seen that there's a huge amount of room for pitfalls and misunderstanding on the internet, than face to face.  

I came a cropper when I first joined here as Tayniee in 2008. It was tempting to walk away, but my gut returned as Wiga, - initially wanting to right a wrong, but more than that I needed to build some bridges, and make my valid contributions - which I did, and glad I did.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 09:54

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 14 2010, 09:39)
I came a cropper when I first joined here as Tayniee in 2008. It was tempting to walk away, but my gut returned as Wiga, - initially wanting to right a wrong, but more than that I needed to build some bridges, and make my valid contributions - which I did, and glad I did.

I remember Tayniee - I recall s/he said vaguely sensible things, and then disappeared. It's rather fun to have former individuals flitting back in a ghostly fashion. On the subject of which, I noticed Ghost Mojo posted something last week.

As for Mike's coming up with a new recording soon, well, we knew that he had to do that contractually, didn't we? I personally didn't care for MotS, but I liked "Song for Survival", so perhaps there'll be something in the new work for me.

With regard to friendship, unless you do something unspeakable (such as commit murder or start a Boz Scaggs revival) I'd say that a "friendship" easily broken probably wasn't a friendship to start with.
Profile PM 
26 replies since April 23 2008, 19:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net