Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's most "American" album?, Traditional American sounds on TB II< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AwayWeGo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 17 2015, 22:57

Is Tubular Bells II Mike's most "American" album?

There are many sounds on the album rooted in old-time American music.

Also, being American myself, and having never noticed that "Altered State" uses American accents until very recently, I have to wonder, did this stick out to anyone else?

Did anyone else who is not originally from the United States find arrangements rooted in American country music on the album peculiar or particularly different from other British music of this sort? What were your thoughts?
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: July 28 2015, 08:43

Compared to a lot of Mikes albums Tubular Bells II is certainly more "American" however I certainly wouldn't say it's the first or only one.  I remember during the interview from the 1982 Roskilde Concert that Mike even described Peace (the Tubular Bells precedent for The Great Plain) as having jazz and folk chords.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2015, 17:52

It's probably his most Russian one too, come to that. ;)

American-recorded, of course, so every chance that influences seeped into writing and recording phases.  The decision to articulate Altered State in the first place (by comparison with its predecessor) stood out as much as the accents used, to me at least, as both were unexpected.  Neither aspect impressed at first...

The way the whole Platinum album turned out (aided by the New York studio credit) gave me a partly American flavour to the proceedings.  I could always point to the point at which the bass changed in the title track as what seemed to be a shift in style, and after that to see Charleston and a track from the Great American Songbook placed images in my mind.  Probably just as much as hearing then reading of TBII's The Great Plain and Moonshine.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
2 replies since July 17 2015, 22:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net