Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's Mercedes-Benz on eBay< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 18:35

Mike's 1999 Mercedes-Benz S500 is for sale on eBay for GBP 9,000-11,000.
Profile PM 
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 14 2007, 09:03

Hmm, I have been looking for a car... :p
I bet my dad would like this, though. :)

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2007, 09:10

...and me trying to guess what type of car he has bought to replace it or to add on his fleet...

About the car on eBay,here's an interview about it:
Mike Oldfield - Me and my Motor - 2000

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 02:40

Guess it's another Mercedes, Tati. Mike always loved Mercedes cars I guess. His first expensive car after Tubular Bells was a sports Mercedes SL after all. ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 03:03

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Aug. 16 2007, 08:40)
Guess it's another Mercedes, Tati. Mike always loved Mercedes cars I guess. His first expensive car after Tubular Bells was a sports Mercedes SL after all. ;)

No, it´s not. That´s the one! Mercedes-Benz S500 from 1999.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 04:58

Quote (manintherain @ Aug. 16 2007, 09:03)
Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Aug. 16 2007, 08:40)

No, it´s not. That´s the one! Mercedes-Benz S500 from 1999.

I think you misunderstood me, manintherain. :)

Tati was wondering what kind of new car Mike is driving now. I said; it will probably be a new Mercedes, because Mike has driven a lot of Mercedes cars in the past. As an example I told that right after his Tubular Bells succes he bought a Mercedes SL, a 350 SL if I'm not mistaking.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 05:57

I´m sorry Blue Dolphin. You´re right!

It is very likely that he has swapped his old Merc for a new one.

How about building a list of his cars?

Here´s what I know of:
- Mini
- Bentley
- Mercedes-Benz 350 SL
- Lamborghini
- Range Rover
- Ferrari
- 1978 Maserati Khamsin
- Audi quattro

Anything else?

:O
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 06:38

He also had a Porsche I once read in an article (he mentioned it briefly), and a little Lancia around 1981 when he had some financial problems.

I don't know about the Lamborghini and the Audi... where did you get that?

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 09:19

"Oldfield methodically worked his way through a succession of Lamborghinis and Ferraris, decimating his bank balance in the process."

The Daily Telegraph August 31, 1998

And Tom Newman once mentioned that he really liked his Audi quattro.

;)
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 12:17

Perhaps we could also complile a list of his washing machines circa 1973-2003 or even the various supermarkets he shopped at or brands of tootpaste....

I think you need to get out more. :p
Profile PM WEB 
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 12:43

Wow, and I'd be happy with the motorbikes! ;)

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 15:03

Quote (ian @ Aug. 16 2007, 18:17)

Perhaps we could also complile a list of his washing machines circa 1973-2003 or even the various supermarkets he shopped at or brands of tootpaste....

I think you need to get out more. :p

I´d go for toy dogs and toothbrushes!

:laugh:
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 23:46

Surely this is a joke ??? Ive been looking through the sellers  ebay history and they don't seem like the type of person to be selling a Mercedes????

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
TheManInTheRain Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 16:15

Yer... i think like sentinel... dont you think its quite cheap?? And take a look at the other articles the seller has on ebay... some halogens and some clothes, with pictures taken on a wooden floor. Who can be selling that supercar?? Mike himself? A good friend of him? If you take a look, you can see that car has only had one owner, so... if you buy that car and you get the docs of the car, Mike´s name has to be there.
Let´s look this time at the votes of the seller... all positive ok, but in all of them he/she has played the role of buying, not selling... that is not the profile of a powerful seller that can really sell such celebrity car, but... it cannot be false, you will get the docs of the car...

Really strange stuff...

PS1. Hey I have just realised there is another manintherain, lol!! :D

PS2. Sorry for my English, I am from Spain. Any corrections welcome. xD

--------------
...and The Man In The Rain picked up his bag of secrets... and BLA BLA BLA, BLA BLA BLA... TU-BU-LAR BELLS!!!!!
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 16:52

I hope he switched to a more environmental friendly car. That V8 steptronic can't be healthy to the atmosphere. Big and expensive cars can be good for the environment too.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 17:21

I can only think of one person it could be, but a lot of things about the auction don't point to it being that person. Still, I don't see anything there that suggests it's not legitimate.

I don't see the price as being anything suspicious. We did get asked about selling one via this site a few years ago - a white 300e 4matic (for those of you who want to keep the list up to date ;)) - which the seller didn't want to sell for anything more than the price of the personalised number plate (about £1000 if I remember right). Well, it turned out there'd been a bit of a misunderstanding and the seller wasn't actually too keen on making the sale so public, as the car was about 15 years old and, though it was still running fine at the time, he didn't want the embarrassment of having a big high profile sale only for the car to break down a few months later. Keeping in touch with him also  proved quite difficult, as he was only contactable by phone and was only once actually in when I called...so in the end he never got back to us and I gave up chasing him with attempts to negotiate (I wasn't convinced that the car being old would present a problem, and of course selling the car here would have been very interesting for a lot of people).
Anyway...if it's the same person, he's not in it to make a fortune, so I would say the price is believable. Items owned by Mike rarely seem to command a huge markup anyway. As TheManInTheRain said, Mike's name would be on the car's documents - anyone buying it would have done well to ask about those.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 21:02

Just a few miles up the road, but I just got a new car yesterday. I had to go the MPV route - only 3 kids not the 6/7 Mike has, but I need the space and economy.

Unlike, say, Mike's Mom.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TheManInTheRain Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2007, 09:37

About the price... I think just leather seats, rims, and some other spare parts (like clutch) are already worth those 11000 pounds.I don´t mean that I think it is quite cheap just because it belongs to Oldfield, I just think it is cheap because the kind of car it is. Having a look at the current model of that car in Mercedes shops, the price (converted to pounds) would be about 72000 pounds.
Yes, it is true the car is kind of 8 years old, and the mileage is big, but there is a good average between mileage and years... and the car seems to be, at first sight, in a really good state. Have in mind that white leather seats are difficult to keep that clean.

Obviously no one buy a car without having a good look at it. Perfect moment to find out who is really selling that jewel.

--------------
...and The Man In The Rain picked up his bag of secrets... and BLA BLA BLA, BLA BLA BLA... TU-BU-LAR BELLS!!!!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2007, 22:18

...but it is a Mercedes,and I'm sure Mike did care of the car so good enough to ride a little more!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 09:53

The price isnt so high though. I have a freidn who recently payed £9,000 for a Mercedes 430 -is purely because of the year i think its going for so cheap. bearing also in mind that the price was the reserve bidding price. he really wants £11,000 for it.

Looking at the seller's previous buys, its only really little things they seem to buy, thats true, but it doesnt rule out for a second that they could be selling it for mike himself. - they say "One owner from new" - that sort of indicates to me that if the seller is not mike himself, then he must be selling it for them. OR - that the seller runs his own buisness in used cars, and bought it from Mike to sell on.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
21 replies since Aug. 13 2007, 18:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net