Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's Fender Telecaster Auction< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 26 2007, 17:43

Bonhams will have an auction on June 20th to sell Mike Oldfield's Fender Telecaster serial no. 180728 which was the only six-string electric guitar used to record 'Tubular Bells'. It's estimated between £25,000 and £35,000 that will go to the charity SANE.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 27 2007, 04:21

This is more like it, a proper sale, as opposed to Ebay and all that jazz.  Hopefully it'll stay in the UK and be put on show so we can go and visit it.  Or better still will appear on stage with some great (not necessarily famous) guitarist.

Well Ray, how about it this time?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 16:06

Is this the Fender Telecaster which was given by Mike's agent when he was with Kevin Ayers and the Whole World?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 18:15

I'm so glad Mike's Telecaster going to be sold in a proper auction, rather than that e-bay fiasco last year. Pity i haven't got a spare £25-30,000 knocking around :O, I was tempted to buy a blonde Telecaster last year I think it was £599 in a music shop in Canterbury, but I didn't have enough cash again. I just love Telecasters. I'd love to see Mike's Tele go to a fan.

I see the money raised is going to support the work of Sane  a mental health charity  www.sane.org.uk/public_html/index.shtml

Good on ya Mike :)  :D . It's amazing or  worrying to think that 1 in 4 of us will suffer from some form of mental health problems at sometime in our lives. Yep I'm challenging the misconceptions about mental health.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 29 2007, 02:26

Quote (captainjjb @ May 27 2007, 04:21)
Hopefully it'll stay in the UK and be put on show so we can go and visit it.  Or better still will appear on stage with some great (not necessarily famous) guitarist.

Somewhat selfishly (being from the UK too) I agree. Wouldn't it be good if it went to someone from this forum.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 03:08

Maybe, it will come to Switzerland! ;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 15:18

well my boss at work is a multimillionaire but he won't buy it (yes I asked) and it's too expensive for me.  I'll make do with MIke's old Ramirez.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 19:19

Quote (captainjjb @ May 27 2007, 09:21)
This is more like it, a proper sale, as opposed to Ebay and all that jazz.  Hopefully it'll stay in the UK and be put on show so we can go and visit it.  Or better still will appear on stage with some great (not necessarily famous) guitarist.

Yep - I'm already on to it.

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 30 2007, 03:58

Quote (Ray @ May 29 2007, 19:19)
Yep - I'm already on to it.

Ray  

Good luck Ray

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 30 2007, 07:36

What I do care is the fact the money is going to charity,and help people who needs care in terms of pyschological problems like Mike did in the past.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 30 2007, 07:36

...and good luck for the ones here who are into the auction  :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 30 2007, 17:59

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 30 2007, 11:36)
What I do care is the fact the money is going to charity,and help people who needs care in terms of pyschological problems like Mike did in the past.

I agree Tati, there's a shortage of psychological services on the NHS within the UK    :( , speaking from experience  myself and many friends talking therapies  really work    :) .  That said I've had confirmation today that I've been  accepted on a course for a "Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling" WHOHOOOOOO :D !!!! Counselling is something I've wanted to do for years .

Sorry if I've gone slightly off topic there, back to the topic of guitars I've an "Aria Pro II Magna Series MA 20" eletric I've had since 1990 in need of some TLC I've had 16 years, but I think now it looks a bit "Heavy Metal" , I love Fender Telecasters :cool:, saw a Tele in a music shop in Canterbury last year , wish I had £599 to spare, plus the cost of an amp,  the Tele was beige with a white pick guard , like the one owned/played by Keith Richards      :cool: , I must admit I fell in love, no way could I afford Mike's Tele unless I had a lottery win.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 

Posted: June 20 2007, 16:44

About the auction,from this page from BBC:

But a guitar used by Mike Oldfield to record Tubular Bells failed to sell.

The Fender guitar - previously owned by Marc Bolan - had been expected to fetch £25,000-£35,000 at the sale.

The guitar has been donated by Oldfield to be sold on behalf of the mental health charity Sane.

Some other articles on the story(thanks David from Spain):
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007280491,00.html
http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=33389

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 21 2007, 16:12

Mike should just keep the guitar for himself, he is donating lots to SANE already with the sale of his book. Either that or raffle it off to the fans, say for £25 a ticket.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 21 2007, 17:54

its a shame, it would have been good for Mike to sell it this way.  Probaby the lack of any US interest pulls the price down a bit.  I would love to play it just to ...well, play it.  Just once.  Someone should buy it and rent it out!
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: June 22 2007, 21:12

OK - I need to contact Mike's management team.  I want to buy that guitar I put a bid in but they obviously ignored it.  I need a phone number NOW - if possible.

does anyone know what the number is!!!!!!!!!!

RAY

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: June 29 2007, 09:17

Quote (Ray @ June 23 2007, 03:12)
OK - I need to contact Mike's management team.  I want to buy that guitar I put a bid in but they obviously ignored it.  I need a phone number NOW - if possible.

does anyone know what the number is!!!!!!!!!!

RAY

It's good if it's sold to a member, I'll know who to rob
:music:

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 29 2007, 19:11

go Ray!
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: June 30 2007, 00:08

as long as its gone to a good home
Profile PM 
18 replies since May 26 2007, 17:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net