Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's farewell?, Is RTO Mike's final piece of music?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qcfoetus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 22 2020, 13:03

Was listening to RTO yesterday and once again got the strong feeling that this could be Mike's final piece of work. Two further clues pointing in that direction: a) If, according to Mike, the end of the first side of Ommadawn refers to his birth, then the reverse music and structure at the end of the first side of RTO could symbolize his re-entering the womb; b) At the end of the second side, when the kids are singing "And away we go," perhaps this literally means "An away I go." Don't want to get too philosophical here; after all, these are just impressions! I sincerely hope there will be more of Mike's work for us all to enjoy in the future, but if ever RTO turns out to be Mike's last opus, then I will regard it as a grand farewell!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 22 2020, 22:21

Except of course Mike hasn't been silent since RTO; there were all the announcements about TB4. If RTO really was his swansong (pace Pink Floyd), why didn't he just remain silent after that? The womb is a strange place to announce plans for a future album.

Oh yes, there will be a TB4.  :cool:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 23 2020, 11:26

I think there is more music to come from Mike, but if not, I would be "Happy" that it is his farewell, but I doubt it is.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 23 2020, 18:48

Yes, it's fairly obvious musicians of fame/notoriety like to increase the distance between record releases to increase a sense of mystique. The Moody Blues and Pink Floyd are obvious examples - although arguably PF waited a little too long for their last release  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 02 2020, 22:16

Quote (nightspore @ April 23 2020, 23:48)
Yes, it's fairly obvious musicians of fame/notoriety like to increase the distance between record releases to increase a sense of mystique. The Moody Blues and Pink Floyd are obvious examples - although arguably PF waited a little too long for their last release  :laugh:

Yes, it's fairly obvious musicians of fame/notoriety like to increase the distance between record releases to increase a sense of mystique.

I don't think that's entirely it, I think it's:the more that you've done the harder it is to find something new to do. And also it must be wearying after doing it for so long.

I'm fine with people waiting until they've got something worth putting out before they put something out, rather than having pressure to release a new album every 2 years or whatever.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 03 2020, 07:00

Quote (Thea Cochrane @ May 02 2020, 22:16)
I don't think that's entirely it, I think it's:the more that you've done the harder it is to find something new to do. And also it must be wearying after doing it for so long.

I'm fine with people waiting until they've got something worth putting out before they put something out, rather than having pressure to release a new album every 2 years or whatever.

Yes - only eight notes plus flats and sharps. That's enough to test anyone :p  :laugh:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 04 2020, 07:33

I listened to this album on my amazing stereo system over the weekend with no interruptions, and I still say it's wonderful.
Profile PM 
6 replies since April 22 2020, 13:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net