Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's Comment, Shades of Clarke?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 22 2020, 20:22

I just noticed Mike's endorsement of RTO on this site: "Hope you will love RTO as much as I do". It struck me that this is ambiguous: it reminded me of Arthur Clarke's quoted comments on The Songs of Distant Earth: "It lived up to my expectations". A skeptic could read this as saying that Clarke (a musical conservative; he liked "classical" music, such as Debussy's "Prelude") wasn't expecting to like TSODE and in fact didn't. A way of "being polite" and "telling the truth" at the same time.

Presumably Mike does like RTO and does hope his fans love the album... and yet it's the only album without his signature tubular bells "seal of approval". I will now retire to the home for the terminally cynical  :laugh:
Profile PM 
tonyadams Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 19 2023, 04:00

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 22 2020, 20:22)
I just noticed Mike's endorsement of RTO on this site: "Hope you will love RTO as much as I do". It struck me that this is ambiguous: it reminded me of Arthur Clarke's quoted comments on The Songs of Distant Earth: "It lived up to my expectations". A skeptic could read this as saying that Clarke (a musical conservative; he liked "classical" music, such as Debussy's "Prelude") wasn't expecting to like TSODE and in fact didn't. A way of "being polite" and "telling the truth" at the same time. io games

Presumably Mike does like RTO and does hope his fans love the album... and yet it's the only album without his signature tubular bells "seal of approval". I will now retire to the home for the terminally cynical  :laugh:

I am not a fan of Mike but honestly, I love this album from him because it captivates me with its unique blend of melodies, powerful lyrics, and refreshing experimentation, pushing the boundaries of conventional music.
Profile PM 
1 replies since Feb. 22 2020, 20:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net