Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's autobiography< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 25 2006, 22:19

From mikeoldfield.com:

Hello you !
It has surely been a time of big changes and realisations these last few months, not least of which has been the writing of my Autobiography. This is nearing completion with the help of my co writer Jon Collins and hopefully will be published this year if not early next. During the process of bringing this book to life I have realised a great many things about myself and my position in the scheme of things. (Oh for the gift of hindsight !) This will surely influence my future personally and creatively.
I have contractually three and a half more years to work on a new piece of music so this will give it a chance to evolve and mature nicely. Meanwhile look out for some promotion for the Platinum Collection , the book , and who knows what else the fates may send. With all my best wishes :)

Mike

Jon Collins has a blog.
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 06:56

Great news about the Autobiography - Mike has always been very self analytical down the years in interviews so it'll be really interesting to read how he views himself now and his "position in the scheme of things". I wonder what he means by "(Oh for the gift of hindsight! ) " though!? It's quite a cryptic statement and it suggests that he somehow regrets the way things have turned out for him - whether that's personally/creatively or whatever we'll have to wait to find out!

Hopefully in all his analysis and soul searching over the past few years he realizes that he has a very loyal and loving band of fans who have been with him all the way!

As for 3.5 years for the new "piece of music". This sounds really interesting to me - almost as if he's gotten everything else out of the way - TB2003, all of the MusicVR stuff - and is ready to enter a whole new phase of creativity. Hopefully this will be the case! I'd be surprised though if we didn't get some form of tour or mini-tour in the meantime, maybe associated with the release of the book...

Remember also that 2008 marks the transfer of rights of all of Mikes albums to Mercury , so I'd expect a major rerelease of the whole back catalogue, all re-mastered and with bonus material (something like Talking Heads recent re-releases would be nice - the re-mastered CD with bonus tracks plus a DVD containing a 5.1 Surround mix of the album and archived video material).

I could see Mercury giving the re-releases a huge marketing push then swiftly following with a new release which could see Mike back on top both artistically and commercially... Wouldn't that be nice!
:)

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 08:01

+ he got time to the new game...
And hopefully this will give some new songs and fans mixing  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Quicksilver Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 08:24

No more videogames, please, Mike. Only good music like you can only do
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 08:25

notes from the past... (from FAQ):

What actually happened is that in the early 90s, Annie Nightingale suggested the book to Mike, he agreed, and she made hours of interview cassettes with him (last time I spoke to Annie, she said that Mike had completely laid bare his soul about every aspect of his life, especially his parents and childhood).

Annie starting shopping around for a publisher, and this is when the problem occurred - CBL insisted that Mike's advance be of a certain size (i.e. very large), and wouldn't compromise. Because the biography of Mike Oldfield was never going to be a #1 bestseller, it was impossible for Annie to find a publisher willing to pay that big an advance.

CBL maintained its uncompromising stance, and so Annie had to drop the project. However, as far as I know she still owns all the interview cassettes and I think she'd probably get first refusal should the project ever be resurrected (which surely has to be an option now that CBL is out of the equation).
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 08:43

Quote (Quicksilver @ Jan. 26 2006, 14:24)

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/musikk/article463631.ece

he said to tv2 dated 27.09.05,
He promise the fans a new game soon.
But its strange that we not have heard about this no more.
This is the only one i have seen or read about it.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 08:50

Meanwhile look out for some promotion for the Platinum Collection

This i am very much going to be looking out for!! I'll believe it when i see it....
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 09:21

Quote (Tubularman @ Jan. 26 2006, 08:43)
Quote (Quicksilver @ Jan. 26 2006, 14:24)

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/musikk/article463631.ece

he said to tv2 dated 27.09.05,
He promise the fans a new game soon.
But its strange that we not have heard about this no more.
This is the only one i have seen or read about it.

I sure hope this new game has a save feature and the corresponding ability to load your saved game. The lack of this in "Maestro" has been a major reason for me not going back to it.

(Using the analogy of those popular Sudoku puzzles: how much fun would they be if every time you set then down to do something else and came back later in the day, everything you did already in the puzzle was erased and you had to start over?).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 12:01

Quote (hiawatha @ Jan. 26 2006, 15:21)
I sure hope this new game has a save feature and the corresponding ability to load your saved game. The lack of this in "Maestro" has been a major reason for me not going back to it.

I know.. The same thought here.
Yesterday i got 22 medals on maestro, but it was late and i could not play anymore and had to exit. So with no load or save i must start over again....

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 12:41

More info on Jon Collins - www.joncollins.net

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 15:08

This is all great news!
Although am I the only one who finds the idea of MO writing an autobiography a little strange? It might be an interesting read, but I think he seems a bit contradictory with respect to his public/private personas; allowing such an insight into certain aspects of his life and career isn't exactly consistent with him being (at least in the past) quite a shy, private sort of person.
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? Perhaps it was a form of therapy or catharsis for him.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 15:40

Quote (Olivier @ Jan. 26 2006, 03:19)

The word on the street is this: go up Charing Cross Road and turn left just past Foyle's, take the next alley on the right and go to the end, past the closed-down model railway shop with the boarded-up windows, and round the back into the corner where the old broken dustbins are kept. The rumour is that in a no-expenses-spared bid for maximum exposure, they're going to stick a small grey poster promoting the Platinum collection on the far side of one of the dustbins.

Of course it may not be a reliable rumour, but if it happens, remember you read it here first.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 15:57

Quote (Alan D @ Jan. 26 2006, 15:40)
Quote (Olivier @ Jan. 26 2006, 03:19)

The word on the street is this: go up Charing Cross Road and turn left just past Foyle's, take the next alley on the right and go to the end, past the closed-down model railway shop with the boarded-up windows, and round the back into the corner where the old broken dustbins are kept. The rumour is that in a no-expenses-spared bid for maximum exposure, they're going to stick a small grey poster promoting the Platinum collection on the far side of one of the dustbins.

Of course it may not be a reliable rumour, but if it happens, remember you read it here first.

Great!!? That,ll be more promotion than we normally see. :D
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 16:00

hahaha! THAT'S the brilliant humour I know and love :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 16:24

YAY!!!! :D :D :D

Interesting to see that he thinks it will influence his creative output  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 17:36

When you stop a bit and you analize yourself,all the things you've done,it makes you feel better and gives power to face life in a different way than before. I'm sure that all the job Mike did has helped him a lot and now he faces life in a different and much mature perspective.

First of all,there's the human being called Michael Gordon Oldfield,and then Mike Oldfield,the musician we love and admire.

I'm so anxious to read it!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 02:59

Great news! Am looking forward to the book.

"three and a half more years to work on a new piece of music" - a long wait for us but "a new piece of music" sounds very interesting - one long cohesive piece?  :D

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 03:23

I misread at 1st and thought it said "Joan Collins"...  :D
Should be a Good read and hopefully packed out with
lots of Photos.. I guess its a Tape  and Ghost Writer
type thing by the sound of it...Ah well thats next Years
Xmas prezzie sorted !!
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 12:54

Gosh ! Next motivation learn Englisch !
Apropos, what is the meaning of last but one Mikes sentence ?

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 13:12

Quote (Deadcalm @ Jan. 27 2006, 03:23)
I misread at 1st and thought it said "Joan Collins"...  

Oh. I thought it was Phil, which is why 1/3 of the book is devoted to the creation of "Sheba" from QE2 !

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
81 replies since Jan. 25 2006, 22:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net