Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's autobiography< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 30 2006, 19:03

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Jan. 30 2006, 14:07)
(Chantelle is a girl who recently became famous via Big brother, a television programme in the UK)  :)

I've seen a website which gave us almost daily updates on the British politician appearing (or WAS appearing?) on the UK "Big Brother". The last time I saw him, he had appeared to dress up as something that looked just like Londo Mollari of "Babylon 5" with donkey ears.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
_ShiNe_ Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2006, 19:10

Quote (hiawatha @ Jan. 30 2006, 19:03)
Quote (The Bell(end) @ Jan. 30 2006, 14:07)
(Chantelle is a girl who recently became famous via Big brother, a television programme in the UK)  :)

I've seen a website which gave us almost daily updates on the British politician appearing (or WAS appearing?) on the UK "Big Brother". The last time I saw him, he had appeared to dress up as something that looked just like Londo Mollari of "Babylon 5" with donkey ears.

This has nothing to do with Mike's autobiography, but since you're talking about Big Brother...I'd say: The Eye Of The Spirit Is Watching You.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2006, 23:20

WOW, I am now more excited about reading this book than anything! When is it due for release?

I can't recall who said what now but I wasn't implying earlier that Mikes 'dressing up' was him displaying the Freddie Mercury side of him hidden within. He had no intention of the photos being published, it was a private thing which was betrayed by his lover, BUT, IF you are a celebrity and if you want to try and maintain some semblance of PRIVACY, you probably shouldn't risk that sort of thing leaking to the press. I believe that Mike will want his book to excite us and will therefore willingly share some part of his private life, even if only the stuff that has already been leaked to the media, nothing new. Is it true that he had a mentally disabled brother who died, which was the cause of his mothers illness? AND is it true that "Moonlight Shadow" is about John Lennon, I never heard that before!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
_ShiNe_ Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 01:05

Moonlight Shadow is not about John Lennon. Actually it is about the night when Jesus was arrested, that's why

"He was caught in the middle of a desperate fight
And she couldn't find how to push through"

"she" is Mary Magdalene, and in that moment she felt impotent since she wasn't able to save him. Both knew he was going to die. He announced it many times before his crucifixion. That's why

"I stay
I pray
I see you in heaven far away
I stay
I pray
I see you in heaven one day"
Profile PM 
Horse Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 02:46

Quote (TubularBelle @ Jan. 31 2006, 23:20)
Is it true that he had a mentally disabled brother who died, which was the cause of his mothers illness?

David Bowie had a mentally disabled brother who died. As far as I have read, he put his head on a railway track and waited...
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 07:44

Quote (_ShiNe_ @ Feb. 01 2006, 01:05)
Moonlight Shadow is not about John Lennon. Actually it is about the night when Jesus was arrested, that's why

Mike himself says it was "originally inspired by a very old film called 'Houdini', a Paramount picture filmed in 1953" (from this site's own FAQ).

You really can't pin the song on any historic inspiration, the way it turned out in the end.

The gun lyrics and the river are quite dominant in the lyrics, and you can't fit them into the arrest of Jesus at all. He wasn't shot 6 times by a man on the run when he was arrested, after all, nor were the circumstances remotely similar (no Roman hacking with a sword 6 times, etc.)

Sometimes, the lyrics of a song do not go that deep. "A cigar is just a cigar".

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 08:31

Quote (TubularBelle @ Feb. 01 2006, 04:20)
I can't recall who said what now but I wasn't implying earlier that Mikes 'dressing up' was him displaying the Freddie Mercury side of him hidden within. He had no intention of the photos being published, it was a private thing which was betrayed by his lover, BUT, IF you are a celebrity and if you want to try and maintain some semblance of PRIVACY, you probably shouldn't risk that sort of thing leaking to the press. I believe that Mike will want his book to excite us and will therefore willingly share some part of his private life, even if only the stuff that has already been leaked to the media, nothing new.

A misunderstanding here I think. I wasn't trying to imply that his 'dressing up' antics were in any way reminiscent of Freddie Mercury: more that his increased confidence does not equate to him being a flamboyant showman in the Mercury mold. (Unless of course said pictures featured him in a leather mini-skirt with a moustache doing the hoovering or something  ;) )

As for private materials being published for public consumption that is unfortunate, but he's not alone in that regard and I guess that is one of the pitfalls of being famous.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
_ShiNe_ Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 09:18

Quote (hiawatha @ Feb. 01 2006, 07:44)
Quote (_ShiNe_ @ Feb. 01 2006, 01:05)

Mike himself says it was "originally inspired by a very old film called 'Houdini', a Paramount picture filmed in 1953" (from this site's own FAQ).

You really can't pin the song on any historic inspiration, the way it turned out in the end.

The gun lyrics and the river are quite dominant in the lyrics, and you can't fit them into the arrest of Jesus at all. He wasn't shot 6 times by a man on the run when he was arrested, after all, nor were the circumstances remotely similar (no Roman hacking with a sword 6 times, etc.)

Sometimes, the lyrics of a song do not go that deep. "A cigar is just a cigar".

And again. You shouldn't take for granted everything you're told.
Look in here http://tubular.net/forums....;t=5914

That's what makes people so blind. We're easy to manipulate if we don't "see" what's beyond reality. Scientia est potentia= knoledge is power.
It is in here where we have to "discover" the mysterious puzzles planted in his music/names/images.Cos you know, Mike is not going to say
"why Yes...I named the computer game MAESTRO (MASTER in English) because I'm JESUS-CHRIST!!!"...or is he?
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 09:31

Quote (_ShiNe_ @ Feb. 01 2006, 09:18)
And again. You shouldn't take for granted everything you're told.

It is in here where we have to "discover" the mysterious puzzles planted in his music/names/images.Cos you know,

I just don't think Mike Oldfield is deceptive.

Have you ever heard "The Riddle" by Nick Kershaw, and looked at the lyrics?

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 11:43

Quote (_ShiNe_ @ Feb. 01 2006, 06:05)
Actually it is about the night when Jesus was arrested, that's why
"she" is Mary Magdalene, and in that moment she felt impotent since she wasn't able to save him.

Dan Brown stole all his best ideas from Mike, it seems.
Profile PM 
_ShiNe_ Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 13:07

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 01 2006, 11:43)
Quote (_ShiNe_ @ Feb. 01 2006, 06:05)
Actually it is about the night when Jesus was arrested, that's why
"she" is Mary Magdalene, and in that moment she felt impotent since she wasn't able to save him.

Dan Brown stole all his best ideas from Mike, it seems.

Perhaps they're sharing information.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 19:11

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Feb. 01 2006, 13:31)
Quote (TubularBelle @ Feb. 01 2006, 04:20)
I can't recall who said what now but I wasn't implying earlier that Mikes 'dressing up' was him displaying the Freddie Mercury side of him hidden within. He had no intention of the photos being published, it was a private thing which was betrayed by his lover, BUT, IF you are a celebrity and if you want to try and maintain some semblance of PRIVACY, you probably shouldn't risk that sort of thing leaking to the press. I believe that Mike will want his book to excite us and will therefore willingly share some part of his private life, even if only the stuff that has already been leaked to the media, nothing new.

A misunderstanding here I think. I wasn't trying to imply that his 'dressing up' antics were in any way reminiscent of Freddie Mercury: more that his increased confidence does not equate to him being a flamboyant showman in the Mercury mold. (Unless of course said pictures featured him in a leather mini-skirt with a moustache doing the hoovering or something  ;) )

As for private materials being published for public consumption that is unfortunate, but he's not alone in that regard and I guess that is one of the pitfalls of being famous.

Speaking as a Queen fan of some 22 years, it was Messrs Deacon, May, and Taylor, who relished dressing in women's clothes more than Freddie Mercury for the I Want To Break Free video.  Given FM's reputation in the press for being out and out gay, then it's not surprising that people get the impression dressing up was his idea.Up until his death Freddie had a long time friend, Mary Austin, I'm sure they were romantically linked at some stage.  I'm sure I read it in an interview, underneath all that flamboyant exterior Freddie Mercury was quite shy, Freddie Mercury SHY  :O. No never!!!

In so far as Mike's private life is concerned I have no interest , apart from that which has inspired him to make a recording     :) .  I did read a book "Hammer of The Gods" it's a biography on Led Zeppelin, all I found was it seemed to dish the dirt and make LZ out to be heinious fiends :O.  At least  this autobiography is  Mike's own work, with the help of co author Jon Collins. Who knows Mike better than Mike himself.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 20:03

So, what do you think. Should he call the book.... "Exposed" ?

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 22:51

Yes Hiawatha, I like it.

So did he have a mentally disabled brother who died or not?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2006, 07:57

all will be revealed in the book, dear child.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2006, 14:23

Quote (hiawatha @ Feb. 01 2006, 20:03)
So, what do you think. Should he call the book.... "Exposed" ?

How about "My life is a load of bells" ?
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2006, 14:33

Quote (_ShiNe_ @ Jan. 30 2006, 20:01)
Don't worry about being famous, he already is!!! And don't be so negative, perhaps he's giving away interesting things we didn't know before  :)  or... who knows, things about the present. I think there is more Mike Oldfield to come.

I wasn't exactly negative in what I said, but Mike Oldfield is no longer a household name, which is (USUALLY!;) required for success with such publications. I am sure that it will be an interesting read, but for how many people?? :/

Anyway, best of luck with the book, Mike!  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2006, 17:32

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Feb. 02 2006, 14:33)
I am sure that it will be an interesting read, but for how many people?? :/

All we need to do is make sure Oprah reads it and recommends it to the world - just like she did for Dan Brown.   Gosh, here we are back to the Davinci Code again.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2006, 18:19

Oprah?

Or, Mike's version of "A Million Little Pieces", in which he talks about the anguish he went through when writing "Hey Jude", overcoming his absinthe addiction in 1885, the physical pain when Gollum bit off his finger at the edge of the volcano, and the real reason he shot J.R. Ewing.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2006, 02:10

Aah, so that's what he meant by 'his position in the scheme of things!! Now I see!!! :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
81 replies since Jan. 25 2006, 22:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net