Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's autobiography< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 18:04

Quote (Olivier @ Jan. 26 2006, 03:19)
From mikeoldfield.com:
I have contractually three and a half more years to work on a new piece of music so this will give it a chance to evolve and mature nicely. Meanwhile look out for some promotion for the Platinum Collection , the book , and who knows what else the fates may send. With all my best wishes :)

Mike[/i]

@ Korkesova,   from what I can gather, Mike has 31/2 years to release his next piece of music for Mercury, going beond this time would put him in breach ofthe contract he signed.  To evolve and mature means to grow and develop.

I'm so glad Mike's autobiography is finally set to see the light of day:D, great stuff.  
tubular_trekkie   Posted on Jan. 26 2006, 20:08This is all great news!
Although am I the only one who finds the idea of MO writing an autobiography a little strange? It might be an interesting read, but I think he seems a bit contradictory with respect to his public/private personas; allowing such an insight into certain aspects of his life and career isn't exactly consistent with him being (at least in the past) quite a shy, private sort of person.
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? Perhaps it was a form of therapy or catharsis for him.

I don't know maybe it's not so strange after all.  Speaking as a once shy person I now realise I do have rights (as we all do), I now find myself able to do/say things I've felt unable to do so in the past, I do from time to time have my occasional quiet or shy moment, where I feel like telling everyone to "sod off and leave me alone", but it can be so liberating having the freedom to say what I'm thinking /feeling    :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 23:03

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Jan. 26 2006, 15:08)
This is all great news!
Although am I the only one who finds the idea of MO writing an autobiography a little strange? It might be an interesting read, but I think he seems a bit contradictory with respect to his public/private personas; allowing such an insight into certain aspects of his life and career isn't exactly consistent with him being (at least in the past) quite a shy, private sort of person.
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? Perhaps it was a form of therapy or catharsis for him.

Mike certainly was very shy in the beginning but as he grew more confident he learnt to use the media for his own needs. Someone who advertises for love in a newspaper can no longer be called a private person and in another article I read about him being video taped dressed up in womens clothing, it's just not something you would do if you were a celebrity. I just hope that what we get is honest and open and not pretentious. This is more exciting than a new album.

P.S.- Wow, I posted that reply as soon as I read tubular trekkies comments and didn't even see Moonchildhippys post. It followed on beautifully don't you think.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2006, 11:36

Hi! On the Jon's Collins blog page (www.joncollins.net) you can leave your comments or suggestions about Mike's Autobiography
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2006, 13:59

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Jan. 27 2006, 18:04)
@ Korkesova,   from what I can gather, Mike has 31/2 years to release his next piece of music for Mercury, going beond this time would put him in breach ofthe contract he signed.  To evolve and mature means to grow and develop.

Right.  And just because he CAN take that long to complete a new album, that doesn't mean he WILL take that long.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2006, 18:33

Quote (TubularBelle @ Jan. 28 2006, 04:03)
Mike certainly was very shy in the beginning but as he grew more confident he learnt to use the media for his own needs. Someone who advertises for love in a newspaper can no longer be called a private person and in another article I read about him being video taped dressed up in womens clothing, it's just not something you would do if you were a celebrity. I just hope that what we get is honest and open and not pretentious. This is more exciting than a new album.

I'm sure if I were to meet Mike, he'd come across a  more confident person now than he was 30-35 years ago, as  I feel more confident in myself compared to teenage me.  Princess Diana was known as "Shy Di", in her younger days, but during her later  life (tragically cut short), she had grown in confidence.
It's not easy for  an introverted person lacking in self esteem/confidence to grow and have a higher opinion of themselves.  Anyone who is able to do this deserves a huge round of applause :)  :D .

Tracy I'm not sure what you mean by "it's just not something you would do if you were  a celebrity"  How about The Rolling Stones promotion for "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby (Standing In The Shadow)? http.www.jahsonic.com/Rollingstones.html    or how about Queen in the video for "I Want To Break Free" http://Malli-p.de/Mallis_Welt/Bilder2/Queen/break_free.jpg
BTW doesn't Roger Taylor look good dressed as a schoolgirl :), well he looks good anyway, but I like him in the IWTBF vid.

This auto biography is great news, considering the idea was first mooted over a decade ago :D .  I'd like to hear the Annie Nightingale interview too.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2006, 23:59

At the moment,the book is the priority,later on will be the new album...each thing at the right moment,Mike!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2006, 05:55

I'm intrigued by this, to hear Mike's opinin of his own work and experiences. It will be especially interesting to read the subtext, by which I mean what Mike thinks a good life is.

I'm also pleased to see that Mike is going to credit his co-author. So many celebrities claim their autobiography to be entirely their own work - something called ghostwriting - that it's refreshing to see Mike has more integrity. I've never thought him especially literate and I don't think he'd be able to carry off the deception, especially once we started reading.

I'm also happy to wait three years for a new piece of music if it means we'll get a good one. Hopefully, all this soul searching has reminded Mike that his job is to express himself through his music. This book may have been a rite of passage for him, which will allow him to grow and mature into a happier man.

--------------
(-: Ian :-)

Currently reading:
What Remains to be Discovered by John Maddox
Also doing far too much decorating than is good for one :)
Profile PM WEB 
MyCoalField Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2006, 07:03

History demonstrates that Mike has a huge capacity for creating copious volumes of music in a relatively short time frame (aided no doubt by today's "infinite possibility" technology). It wouldn't surprise me if he managed to sneak out a couple of albums / videogames before the 3.5 year opus is finally released.

However, if it means that the new album is going to be as irresistable as Amarok / Tubular Bells or SODE then personally, I am happy to wait it out.

Regards the autobiography, this will undoubtably be fascinating. I hope that it will be better put together than the "man and his music" release.
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2006, 07:39

Great news of the up and coming book. A while ago I'd thought it a shame that the idea had never progressed (Annie Nightingale).Now it's all happening with Jon Collins , look forward to reading it.Got to mention this ,when I first quickly glanced at the name did think it was reading Joan Collins - the mind boggles,might have been interesting :D

@Galadriel, When I first saw the IWTBF video with Roger Taylor all dressed up/make up, I remember being absolutely gobsmacked - he looked so good!
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2006, 09:40

Quote (Groovy Granny @ Jan. 29 2006, 07:39)
I remember being absolutely gobsmacked - he looked so good!

I love the sound of the word "gobsmacked" but have never really heard it before.  What does is mean?  Is it like "flabbergasted"?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2006, 11:42

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Jan. 29 2006, 14:40)
Quote (Groovy Granny @ Jan. 29 2006, 07:39)
I remember being absolutely gobsmacked - he looked so good!

I love the sound of the word "gobsmacked" but have never really heard it before.  What does is mean?  Is it like "flabbergasted"?

.Yes, gobsmacked and flabbergasted do mean the same thing.

I'm excited by this autobiography.  I'm wondering with all these releases by Mike over the last year or so that a release of Ommadawn, complete with a decent copy of "The Making Of Ommadawn" could be on the cards    :D, if not, then please consider making it reality, Mike/Mercury or Virgin.  

If Mike is able to bare his soul in an autobiography, then good on him, WELL DONE MIKE  :D, as  I'd imagine it's not an easy thing to do.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2006, 11:47

Yes, they usually make terribly good reads - especially about interesting people like Stephen Fry. I should be interested to read this too - although, really, I'll just be curious. I have come to realise that my passion for his music is entirely separate from my perception of him as a person - which is something I am very glad of. :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2006, 15:07

The book will be perhaps the most interesting thing a MO fan could ever hope for and it will be very very interesting to see how self aware Mike comes across as, its not something he's been particularly in the past. It will be amazingly interesting to hear his take on the trajectory of his career. I do hope that the reception L+S has be given has caused him an artistic re-think, but then again I've thought that in the past about various albums. This whole Platinum Collection balls up seems like the traditional missed opertunity that seems to forever overshadow everything he does in this vein. Someone please tell me that that dreadful cover isn't 'the one that Mike choose' as I've read elsewhere.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2006, 17:55

I have the impression that Mike didn't write the book thinking just on us, but on everyone who can be interested on getting to know about his life and learn with it by reading his autobio.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2006, 08:58

Quote (TubularBelle @ Jan. 28 2006, 04:03)

P.S.- Wow, I posted that reply as soon as I read tubular trekkies comments and didn't even see Moonchildhippys post. It followed on beautifully don't you think.

Yes, he may be more confident and self-assured than he once was, but I still don't think that makes him a Freddie Mercury type. My question regarding his motivation for writing such a book was not intended as a criticism of him (but it wasn't necessarily praise either :p ) . On the contrary I think it is probably due to his quiet, introspective nature - wishing to 'take stock' of things, rather than any sort of attention seeking behaviour which probably prompted such an idea. I certainly don't have him down as a media whore, or at least I would hope not.
But I still think something like an autobiography can be tricky. He comes across (at least to me) as a fairly reticent sort of chap in interviews, and, a bit of self-analysis and navel-gazing not withstanding, he's not a show-off. That's why I find this idea surprising. I think I would find some of it deeply interesting - especially if it gives an insight into the 'behind-the-scenes' stuff regarding the music making process. I guess I just hope that the spectre of celebrity tittle-tattle and unwise revelations about his private life are going to be avoided. Tact and discretion never go amiss and I would really be surprised if he wants to tell us all about his love life! (IMO having a personal ad printed in a newspaper is not equivalent to surrending your privacy in this regard).

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Bobby_F Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2006, 13:58

Wonder how Richard Branson will be portrayed?
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2006, 14:07

Who is going to print this??

Is Mike paying for the release, his lack of public awareness makes me wonder who (apart from us) is going to buy it :/

Maybe he could use the alias, 'Chantelle' ;)

(Chantelle is a girl who recently became famous via Big brother, a television programme in the UK)  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
_ShiNe_ Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2006, 15:01

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Jan. 30 2006, 14:07)
Who is going to print this??

Is Mike paying for the release, his lack of public awareness makes me wonder who (apart from us) is going to buy it :/

Maybe he could use the alias, 'Chantelle' ;)

(Chantelle is a girl who recently became famous via Big brother, a television programme in the UK)  :)

Don't worry about being famous, he already is!!! And don't be so negative, perhaps he's giving away interesting things we didn't know before  :)  or... who knows, things about the present. I think there is more Mike Oldfield to come.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2006, 17:13

Great to hear this! I really wonder how the book is going to be like.

Finally a book about someone who HAS an interesting life, instead of every bimbo celebrity who thinks its cool writing an autobiography book on his/her 25th birthday.  :zzz:

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2006, 18:10

If its done well it could well re-ignite Mike's career. Mike does have at least one thing going for him as far as book writing is concerned in that his life story and musical career is fabulously interesting even for people who don't like his music. The whole Branson thing is just one bit of it that people will undoubtedly find fascinating. It could certainly put him back in the collective musical consciousness more than yet another dreary collection of half baked chill out tunes. Lets hope its a best seller and he releases a storming album afterwards. The book will be one MO release I really can't wait for.
Profile PM 
81 replies since Jan. 25 2006, 22:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net