Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's appearance at Xacobeo 2004< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 09 2004, 14:07

There's been a rumour going round for a while that Mike will be appearing in Spain together with Luar na Lubre as part of Xacobeo 2004. I've been awaiting more definite confirmation before posting anything here about it, and it's come - Fanny Oldfield tells me that she's heard nothing about the concert, and so, unfortunately, it would seem to be nothing more than a hopeful rumour.

Xacobeo's organisers are however still contradicting this news, saying that he will appear, on August 7th, together with Luar Na Lubre in Nigrán (Pontevedra).

Update 16/6/04 - Luar Na Lubre's management also tell me that they have heard nothing about Mike's involvement, and believe that Xacobeo's organisers have made a mistake.

Update 2/8/04 - Mike's name has been removed from the listing on the Xacobeo web page.
Profile PM 
namyah
Unregistered

Posted: June 09 2004, 15:26

:/  :(
i am very sick of mike never ever playing live.
he's being lazy...
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 09 2004, 15:38

Mike did play live in the past...but now he doesn't feel confortable to do it so.Respect his decision!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 09 2004, 17:47

I'm still hopeful that he will. I don't think he's setting out to dissapoint fans on purpose by proposing all these tours
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 09 2004, 18:25

I don't think he even proposed it - like I said, Fanny had heard nothing about it at all. I think it's just wishful thinking on the part of other people, coupled with journalists who'll publish whatever the organisers tell them without checking it first. I doubt that he ever intended to play either there or in Hanover...Malta it sounds like he did, but then, only in theory...
Profile PM 
A Real Mike Oldfield Fan
Unregistered

Posted: June 10 2004, 10:54

Reading this, It seems there are some people that JOINNING to know that Mike will not play live... Maybe because they have NEVER heard Mike playing live, seeing playing his guitar, feeling how his sounds introduce in your body... In my opinion, it´s very sadly being a fan without soul...

It´s a bad new and Mike is an impostor, a sad and false shadow of his past... Or i should say a shadow of his fanny...

Sorry for my english... Best Wishes

P.D: Being a Mike Oldfield Fan is not Being a crawler...
oblique Offline

Posted: June 10 2004, 11:27

I've seen him play live in '81, '83, '84 and then I had to wait untill '93, and then again till '99.

And I'm willing to wait another 4 or 5 years to see him again.

It's worth while, believe me.....

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 10 2004, 18:37

I seem to recall an interview ( I can't quote where or when) where Mike sdtated that live playing gave him no "thrills" or "challanges".

It seems that if Mike doesn't want to, he wont. It isn't in Mike's current world view to please his audience, his fans. Maybe that will change.

Luckily, I have seen Mike live since the 80's, although many here haven't ever seen him live. Not the greatest way to build a bigger fan base.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
ATTMO Offline

Posted: June 10 2004, 18:42

well as the "age of fans" poll shows there are quite a lot of younger fans who did not have the chance to see a live performance so especially for us it would be a nice thing. although an "appearance" like it would have probably been on xacobeo is not ideal as is usually means something like 2 songs and that would then probably be something like moonlight shadow and shadow on the wall...

--------------
"Such is life; and we are but as grass that is cut down, and put into the oven and baked" - Jerome K Jerome
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: June 11 2004, 05:26

Quote: I seem to recall an interview ( I can't quote where or when) where Mike sdtated that live playing gave him no "thrills" or "challanges".

Funny to hear. Although I enjoyed a lot the concert at Salamanca he did at '99, he is getting worse and worse at live concerts. He makes lots of mistakes when playing. Big contrast after the Luar Na Lubre concert just one hour before (I do not like'em specially, but they sound way cool live).

But the fact is that to be only 4 mts away of him when he is playing live has no price at all and is an intense experience (it was about 2h30m of COOL concert, I ended drinking several litres of water when my friends and me managed to get outta the football stadium). I hope more concerts in the future, but I think that we should begin to consider that he has an age, and sooner or later he will be retiring...

Edit: no Mike in Xacobeo, but I will go to the Chemical Brothers / Massive Attack concert in A Coruña this summer. By far it's not the same, but worthwhile anyway.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 11 2004, 08:39

Mike getting no thrills on challenges playing live... Yeah, I guess that has to do with the kind of musician he is. He spends effort in crafting the music, not performing it, so I understand it. Though he didn't exactly say that he didn't want to play live, so I can't tell if he's being selfish, denying his fans the pleasure of seeing him live.

Though I have to say, if I were to pay to see a bored Mike Oldfield giving a half-arsed performance, I dunno, but I'd rather go see Rush.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
-TWin3OR- Offline

Posted: June 13 2004, 14:51

http://www.iespana.es/bmv/mikeindex.htm

Mike oldfield actuará en Xacobeo 2004! TRUE

Profile PM 
Bones Offline

Posted: June 13 2004, 17:40

It would be good if he did play again,  ive only known about the music for about a year and a half now,  ive got one or two live albums and the like DVD's, but i really want to be there myself.   Makes the experience more complete i feel.  But oh well never mind if he doesn't.  Totally up to him.  *grumble*

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 14 2004, 10:49

Well, TWin3OR, if it's true that Mike is appearing then I apologise for spreading misinformation...however, this did come direct from Mike's wife, so I was prepared to trust the source.

But, I did take care in wording the news - she never said that he wouldn't appearing, just that she'd not heard anything about it...I'm not going to speculate any further down this line though...

I suppose that, come August 7th, we'll know what the truth is!
Profile PM 
jorge
Unregistered

Posted: June 15 2004, 06:57

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 09 2004, 14:07)
There's been a rumour going round for a while that Mike will be appearing in Spain together with Luar na Lubre as part of Xacobeo 2004. I've been awaiting more definite confirmation before posting anything here about it, and it's come - Fanny Oldfield tells me that she's heard nothing about the concert, and so, unfortunately, it would seem to be nothing more than a hopeful rumour.

La noticia del supuesto concierto de Mike en España ha sido publicada en el diario "La voz de galicia" en donde se confirma este concierto junto a Luar na lubre el día 7 de agosto.
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 15 2004, 08:53

For spanish fans who got in touch with the Xacobeo 2004 organization team,a question that is in my mind is,how did they got the info that Mike will play there(anyone at OML?),since Fanny Oldfield has said that she has never heard about it?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 15 2004, 11:52

Jorge - I do realise that the news of Mike's appearance has been mentioned in some newspapers (I think there was another, other than La Voz de Galicia, wasn't there?), but some fans were still not totally convinced that it was going to happen (it was also mentioned in at least German newspaper that Mike would appear in Hanover, I believe). Newspapers almost always just print whatever information they're given by the organisers - they won't have checked the news with anyone at OML.
That was the reason I checked it with Fanny - I assumed that she would be able to give a conclusive answer. Fans were asking for a confirmation/denial of the news, from someone close to Mike, and that's what we got!

So what we're left with is two sources - the organisers of Xacobeo, who say that Mike will appear and are keenly telling all the press that, and Fanny at OML who says she's not even heard about the concert. They can't both be right...

What can I say? If people want to make a trip to see Luar Na Lubre in the hope that Mike may also appear, then believe the organisers. I don't want to be responsible for people feeling disappointed because they've missed seeing Mike because our news turned out to be false, so if you feel like taking the chance, go and see it. It will no doubt be a great concert, even without Mike.
However, if people make a special trip, and it turns out that Mike doesn't appear, as this news from Fanny seems to indicate, then please don't be angry at Mike - he's never said himself that he will be appearing, and it seems like maybe he doesn't even know that people think he will.

I've altered the news item to reflect the fact that there is still doubt over this.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 16 2004, 14:32

Ok, so now we have three sources. As you'll see from the update to the news entry, I've been in contact with Luar Na Lubre's management, who are also saying that they don't know anything about Mike's appearance. They would know if he was appearing on the same bill, especially considering that Mike and the band are fairly friendly.

I'm still awaiting an answer from Xacobeo's organisers - perhaps they will have some other interpretation of all this...
Profile PM 
David
Unregistered

Posted: June 17 2004, 12:21

hello
i´m a spanish fan of mo and i send an e-mail to the xacobeo and they has said me that mike will be there. the confirmation has sent me 16-6-2004. so..."la esperanza es lo ultimo q se pierde :)  :)  :)
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 17 2004, 14:30

Well yes, there's still hope, and still over a month to go, so who knows what might happen...

Perhaps in a few weeks' time, they'll tell Mike that he's meant to be appearing, and tell Luar Na Lubre that they're sharing the bill with him (the way La Voz de Galicia wrote it, it looked almost like they were meant to be playing together with him), seeing as they seem to be telling both the fans and the press that!

I'm not trying to put a dampener on things, just hoping to get to the truth of the matter here.
It's quite likely that the people who are answering emails for Xacobeo are simply quoting what's written in the program (the same thing which the press will be getting their information from) - the question is where the information in that program came from. It's not impossible that a mistake was made when making it, which has so far gone uncorrected...it would seem a bit odd for that to happen, but then the current situation is odd!

I'll pass on more news as and when I get it.
Profile PM 
24 replies since June 09 2004, 14:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net