[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike`s Album Covers, likes/dislikes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 10 2009, 09:02

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 21 2008, 19:42)
FMO - because it illustrates only one song on the album, and not the best one...

What if the cover would have illustrated Orabidoo?  :/

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Lapelcelery Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 10:45

Amarok has a great cover, but I would have to say that my favourite covers are tubular bells III, and Five Miles Out.

TB3 is just consciously a far more 'perfect' design than the other bell covers, even the actual bell itself is less bent, formed into a slightly more artistic shape than the others, and the plain background makes it stand out much more. Don't get me wrong, the other bells are great too, but I personally like 3 the best (but just barely).

FMO was the first album I bought on vinyl simply for the cover art. Too many people my age have forgotten that whatever the advantages of cd's and downloads, the artwork is far more impressive on vinyl, and the cover of Five Miles Out is an excellent example. I bought it (and later TB1), just to frame and hang on the wall.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 12:11

And isn't the vinyl version of the cover FMO so much cooler than the cd version!FMO was the first LP i ever owned.I remember buying it in Argos in Exeter (buying Lp's in Argos-now that's a blast from the past)in '82 and spending hours just studying the cover and the inside track sheets.Brilliant stuff.
 I miss buying vinyl in a big way.I know it's become a cliche for 30 somthings and older but the art work on a cd case is pants compared to a 12 inch album cover.You COULD spend the duration of the LP studying the cover cos a good cover had loads of info and the art,if it was good,could be really absorbing.FMO is a perfect example.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 07:10

I agree caveman, i miss vinyl cover sheets and sleeves, so much more to read and see about the album, cds too small, love five miles out
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 10:06

The LP versions of Exposed and Amarok I love'em so much,it's a real pleasure to see things bigger than a CD cover.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 09:46

Even singles were bigger than cds.Although what bright spark came up with the cover for Mike Oldfields Single?The Mike with doves pic on one side (why does Mike get puzzled when people think he was a hippy?The mind really boggles)which is ok but the B side pic?Mating frogs????Taking Froggy Went A Courting a bit too literally methinks.Definatley a Virgin rather than Oldfield idea?I think so! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 20:29

:p the amarok cover still does it for me mm, love exposed and guitars
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 08:59

What not Ommadawn, ex?The funky Jesus look.Amarok was a deliberate attempt by Mike to receate the Ommadawn cover but done by William Murray rather than David Bailey.
 The Ommadawn cover really disturbed my sister as a kid.She took one look and the first thing she said was "he looks like Jesus".True enough he does look like the traditional representation of Christ (another topic altogether)but it also shows up the 'one eye bigger than the other' thing.Anyone else noticed it?You of all people i would have thought ex! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 10:53

Yeah regarding the whole "one eye bigger than the other" thing Caveman.I always feel Mike kind of looks at you in photogrpahs with his left eye,and the right one kind of tags along behind a little bit.Or else it`s otherwise pre-occupied somewhat,it`s difficult to say.The picture Miar has as her Avatar kind of perfectly illustrates that for me.To be honest I think I tend to do that a little bit,as I often catch my reflection in the mirror and go.."wuhh,.don`t freak me out yer weirdo"..But then also like Mike I rarely tend to look people in the eye anyway,so maybe it`s down to lack of practise.It`s probably down to one side of the brain being more dominant than the other as well I would guess!?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 11:06

At least his eyes both look in the same direction.I have a lazy eye which is fine if i wear my closes but pretty bad without.Not Marty Feldman bad but bad enough.Mike sometime's reminds me of Patrick Moore! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 06:26

:p lol caveman, love the ommadawn cover he was yummy, love his steel blue eyes, never noticed problem with eye, yes he rocks my world!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 08:48

That really surprises me.All the photos i've seen where he's looking directly at the camera he has one eye larger/more open than the other.And i have to agree he does have really peircing eyes.Again this does suit the Ommadawn Jesus hippy look very well.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 03:04

:p lol there is a striking resemblance between mike and jc on ommadawn, bet mike pulled the gals in lol, love his eyes as they are! he is a total babe imho, love the new pics from the bahamas, now to placate my partner, yes you are sexy too! jeez!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 04:08

You do make me laugh. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 06:19

You make me laugh too my friend caveman...
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 07:11

This is one for us gals, but guys comment to, which cover was mike sexiest? voyager aside! girls just want to have fun!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 07:53

Quote (ex member 419 @ June 25 2009, 08:11)
This is one for us gals, but guys comment to, which cover was mike sexiest? voyager aside! girls just want to have fun!

I'd vote for Amarok and Guitars.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 08:05

Yeah Guitars definetely does it for me and I`m a fella`..(I was never confused)..Or what about this one?  ;)
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 11:29

Tubular Bells
Ommadawn
Platinum
QE2
Crises
Discovery
Islands
Amarok

All stunning covers.
Not so keen on ...

Hergest Ridge
Incantations
Five Miles Out
Earth Moving
Heaven's Open
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 03:40

:cool: mm mike did look yummy on guitars i agree tati and dirk, dazzler, loved his streaked hair, the denim jacket
Profile PM 
56 replies since June 29 2008, 07:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net