[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfieldlightandshade.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ddave_73 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 06:18

Regarding the tattoo`s :)

I will get a photo of my TB tattoo and post it in the members photo as tubularbelle suggested :)

Mine is from the tubular bells 1973 album and is an exact copy of the CD sleeve , the artisst done a deacent job I reckon

Will post a few snaps soon :)

and no , I was not the guy with the sentinel one :)
Profile PM 
tubtattoo Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 16:39

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 25 2005, 22:25)
I saw a Malcolm Tuck showing off his quite large TB tattoo in Dark Star but that's not you is it Malky?

It most certainly is me!!! Changed my surname before I got married for reasons I won't bore you with! :zzz:

Listened to the album most of today (well. I had to eat) and I'm really enjoying it.

Light is a grower of a CD whilst Shade grabs you by the collar and won't let go.  :)

Love Tears of an Angel and Sunset, so I'm with Christopher on that.

And I don't see what the fuss about the Vocaloid stuff is for- sounds fine by me!!!

Malky :D
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 17:40

i got it today and i'm enjoying it right now. for the moment i'll just say that still i'm more into 'shade'. i know i will go deeper later with 'light'.. but for the moment, 'shade' got me and i'm listening to it for the third time since i got home :D
there are some moments with big strength that give me shivers.
i love 'surfing' so blue and sensual followed by 'tears of an angel' oh... so beautiful.. there's already an image in my mind for that.. a bird taking off from a gondola into a grey sky...
resolution, slipstream and nightshade are great dance tracks, i think some djs could get interested on them, we will see next season...
and then well, 'romance' hmm... i can't get into it.. no. it's like the volcano in tr3s lunas placed at the end of such a pleasant trip with the firebeings and the tai chi section...
but then ringscape makes me forget it, i do like the organs at the beginning, they create air under the owl.
so.. yes, i like it very much..

sorry because maybe this message isn't very coherent, i've written it while listening to the music and i confess it's written more with feelings rather than the brain, but these are my first impressions.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 17:48

So happy to see that people are starting to acknowledge the Shade cd a little more, I feared many had rejected it simply due to the 'Romance' track which I don't mind at all and knew all along that I would personally prefer the Shade cd to the Light. Still waiting though, twiddling my thumbs right now!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 18:09

Listened to Light & Shade today for the first time, only having heard a small excerpt from Angelique (just a few seconds) and having skimmed through some of the early reviews here & on the Amarok mailing list. I thought...

- Overwhelming sense of peace and serenity from each disc. Pure, honest (in the sense that it hides nothing) and reflective. No favourite disc yet, but possibly Shade is the one.

- The piano pieces seem deeper and say more than ever before,esp. on Light ~ Blackbird & Rocky. Mike is a talented pianist.

- The guitars on Surfing are oustanding. There's still passion in his playing and the sound is somehow more 'sculpted'. Also loved them in Tears of an Angel and First Steps.

- The cover is exceptional. The portraits of Mike, the reflective symmetry of the sea and sky, the use of colour. How I love that 'ring' - the tubular bell in two and kind of inverted on itself,reminding me very much of the work of M C Escher.

- The only part I do not 'like', I have to be honest here, is the dance beat that keeps cropping up. Had real drums been used, I might have been able to accept the sound more easily, it is just so relentless - maybe I need to go to Ibiza!!
And yet, strangely, I thought the electronic vocals worked well.

I think it is highly likely that many parts of this album will be desired as backing for TV documentaries or film themes or soundtracks, but it's best heard in it's entirity.

I want to say I love it, but I can't - yet. It will grow on me. Right now there's just so much of it to take in!! Time will tell.

Overall it is good. You should be very proud, Mike.

I still feel there's a long and luxurious instrumental in there trying to get out!!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 18:16

I'm addicted to Shade,can't get enough of it :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 18:26

I'm pleased to see that everyone commenting has given this album a fare chance now that it has been heard in its entirety!!!!!!!!!! :)  :)  

I'm not so sure about the techno tracks simply because I know where Mike got some of the sounds form and I've played with them on my own Motif.  For techno tracks I like TMB... more variety in the changes... very little change in most of the techno tracks on Shade.  I will say that Resolution is a smashing piece of work... something I would more expect to hear out of NIN or Marilyn Manson.... well done there!!!! :)  Along with the build up and ending to Surfing.  

Ringscape (the owl)  is soooooo well re-worked with that organ it's got such a developed feel over the short bit looped in the game!!!!!!!!  Though I kinda wish he had chosen some other drums... they still work for me.  Just my preference really.  

I can't wait to get my proper copy from Amazon.  Btw. how the hell are you all getting your copies?  Oh wait it's midnight in the UK and most of Europe isn't it?  Silly American Boy of course.... lol. :-P  

There is definetly a more jazz/blues feel about some parts of this album not previously felt in Mike's more recent albums.  

There are many parts of Light I like.  Sunset being the greatest followed by Angelique and First Steps.  I think it's Rocky the other piano piece... very nice piece of work there... undeveloped... could have built up at many points into something beautiful... much patential.  Very Enya if you ask me... but not as developed as her stuff in that respect.  This piano song must have come from a keyboard because it sounds just like my Motif's piano which isn't that fantastic.  Almost has a player piano sound.  

As for the fading out at the end of the tracks.. well... some of them DO fade out rather oddly while others are just fine to my ears.  

Tears of an Angel gives me such a piece just like Sunset... they Both give me chills!!!!!!!! :)  Nicely reworked from Maestro (Sunset).  

I DO HOPE that Mike will let someone play around and make some awesome techno versions of SURFING... that song SCREAMS REMIX ME!!!!!! 

As for the vocoder technology.... brilliantly executed and accomplished!!!!!!!  It has a unique standing of sound much like Mike's approach to music in general.  Odd yet facinating and exceptional in it's whole!!!!!  

All in ALL MIKE OLDFIELD STILL !@#$ing ROCKS MY !@#!  :)

Cheers
Christopher
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 08:18

I bought the new album about 3 hours ago, and have been listening to it in the car, a great place to hear a new album i feel.I have only been listening to Light so far, it's not that i don't want to hear Shade, but i am just really loving Light :D so, i have more excitment to come, so, as for Light, i really love it, if it was only a single CD, and Light was it, i would be happy.Angelique is lovely, i love the piano at the start, i just love the way Mike plays piano, he has such a nice touch, the guitar sounds as gorgeous as ever from Mr Oldfield!!!.The vocalists work very well IMO, a good start to the album.And around 3:45 it all sounds like SODE, which is ok in my book.

Blackbird is a nice and gentle piano piece from Mike, i like it a lot.

When The Gate starts, i thought, what's going on here then Mikey?.But the more i hear it, the more i like it, the vocals build up nicely, again something i don't think Mike has been given credit for in his career, is the way he arranges/uses vocals!!!.The accoustic guitar in the middle of the track is just beutifull Mike Oldfield, simple but very effective.

First Steps is a long 10 minute piece, and it has lots of changes, and it builds up very well IMO, i never really got into Mike's computer games, so, i don't mind hearing the music from them.This track is even a bit funky in parts.

When i first heard Closer, i thought, i've heard that melody before, then i remembered playing it myself on accoustic, and i played it because i heard it in the film Titanic!!.Then Mike does a more blown up version later with Pres De Toi.

Our Father is nice enough, again some nice guitar work, good vocals, but if it did'nt have the nice guitar it could get a touch repetitive.

Rocky, the second piano piece, is again a very nicely played piece, with a nice gentle melody, ripe for film and TV!!!!.

Sunset is my favourite piece, i adore this track, it's classic Oldfield IMO, sounds like an out-take from SODE, lovely accoustic guitar, and great electric, this is one of the best things Mike has done in years.

Pre De Toi, is as i said above a more developed piece of Closer, and a bit better in my view, i have always loved this melody, it seems to have sadness and joy together.

All in all, i really love Light, Mike sounds very happy to me, his playing is as wonderful as ever, no matter what he plays, i love this CD, and i'm glad that i waited till the release proper to hear the complete Light.Now for Shade!!!!!.
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 12:39

Quote (Olivier @ Sep. 22 2005, 16:31)
www.mikeoldfieldlightandshade.com is the official Light + Shade website.

Use this address if your system is blocking popups:

http://www.mikeoldfieldlightandshade.com/popup.html

Maybe this has been said before ...

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 12:49

listening those 30 sec bits i thought this is gonna suck, but.. but.. after hearing all complete tracks i think good ones wins bad 12/2

i just cannot digest romance or slipstream, damn how bad.

nightshade and the gate are there somewhere in between..

to have 12 tracks i like, that's good, well done Mike. :music:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Magellan Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 15:20

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Sep. 27 2005, 08:18)
Sunset is my favourite piece, i adore this track, it's classic Oldfield IMO, sounds like an out-take from SODE, lovely accoustic guitar, and great electric, this is one of the best things Mike has done in years.

I felt the same when listening it for the first time this morning! Sunset really sounds like something from TSODE and is the most signature MO song on both discs IMO.

However I'm finding it all a bit reserved. It's like Mike is hiding behind all those samples and loops. No use hiding Mike, we know you're in there somewhere!

A nice release, but not a classic MO album.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 17:17

Virtual Mike Oldfield..........thats all I can say.Has he finally gone and turned into a much of a muchness armchair composer????

Where is the raw energy, the hunger, the depth, emotion, atmosphere and the passion, the supprises? almost every track has a reverb bathed piano, software drums and software vocals which give Mike no identity.Yes, its pleasant and nice but so is music you hear in garden centres where you can select those new age Cds from a panel.

Ok, there are some moments but I am afraid, for me, few and far between.Light I will probably hardly play again.Shade is much better but again nothing outstanding but to be fair I need to listen more.

Since the Millenium Bell , which is where the rot set in ,it has all gone downhill for me as Mike has got complacent or just lazy, I don't know.Something has happened to him but it is his freedom to go this way if he feels but it's such a shame which is why he doesn't get albums in the charts like he used to.

I remember Mike's albums were organic, recorded bits with little atmoshperics of their own from real vocalists, drummers, players etc.I am not oposed to software instruments but used subtley and not so obvious and cheesy.Albums like Ommadawn, Five Miles Out, Crises, S O T D E, and Amarok which is the last amazing thing I think he did.Tubular Bells 3 was good also as some of the playing had emotion and passion.For goodness sake...he's even replaced real bagpipes with naff software ones.

I still think he is a very talented musician which is why I keep buying his albums for a touch of that magic that used to excite me but I am afraid those moments are now few and far between.I won't give up on him yet though.

;)
Profile PM WEB 
tubtattoo Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 17:56

I have to say I'm really enjoying listening to both albums... tho' I have tended to err more on Shade than Light but Light is, rather ironically for me, better to listen to in the dark! I know, I'm weird.  ;)

I'm not going to contrast and compare with previous work as I don't think there is the comparison and, as for the emotion, is Mike's life giving him the same reason to compose another Amarok? Not sure it is- married, settled, grown up kids... there are quite a few tracks I feel reflect a more tranquil and at ease person than that from the past... and he's said he doesn't feel the need to visit those places again.  :)

I'd like another Amarok as much as anyone but for the right reasons... if Mike doesn't think he needs to do one then who am I to argue? Not me, never was much good in a fight  :D

So, I'm enjoying exploring and having something new to get to know. Each unto his own, as they say...

Respect to all

Malky
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 18:21

But ironically the only reason Mike felt the need to compose Amarok was because he was sick to death of machines taking over music, he said so in every interview at the time. It's in the most horrible way ironic that the machines are now even singing on Mike's albums. I think thats the main reason Mike feels so uncomfortable with his fans obsessing over albums like Amarok is that he's so utterly removed from the wonderful warm traditional musician he once was. I agree completely with Ian's views above.

Personally I love eletronica and dance music. Suprisingly I'm almost as obsessed with the Chemical Brothers as I am with Mike, I travel all over the UK to just to see them live. However I love them becuase they're geniuses at dance music and know what they're about. Mike is not a genius at dance music and now apparantly has very little or no musical identity left in comparison. It's all about knowing what you're about as an artist and sadly I don't really know what Mike is about anymore. There are glimpses of past glories on L+S but they are just glimpses.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 18:53

[/QUOTE]
Im sure Light was not meant for listening in bright light and Shade in the dark. It is the feeling they are supposed to create: major-minor, bright-moody etc. something like that     :)
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 19:01

Schaisse!
I just tryed to quote but I jus couldnt do it.
If there is something i dont know about, its computers and Im obviously alone here with my unablenesss.
 :/
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 19:33

I am not putting the guy down as he's brilliant and It wouldn't bother if he was Mr naff celeb/musician.Its just that he has taken the easy way and as Toby says, lost his identity.I also love good dance/electronica but this is like your Dad embarasing you pretending he knows about cutting edge music.He has just used all the cliches in middle of the road dance music.Some of the sounds when broken down in the Umix mode are quite nice.It will be interesting remixing them.

I also don't want to live in the past and harp on about him making albums like the old classics.All I would like to see is him move on into more of his own style and not trying to follow trends.Why not try acoustic dance music???? :D

Tangerine Dream, In my opinion, have gone down the same route.Compromising and forcing me to listen to albums like Logos and Exit to name but a few classics.Come to think of it Mr Jarre has also done it to some extent.Hang on...there is a pattern developing here.........no...wait...Kraftwerk are still rock solid...Phew!!!

As for the cover versions on this album.....come on Mike...please.......Arrival was good but oh dear...I'm saying nothing except does anyone remember Hooked On Classics.....??????? ;)
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 19:39

Harmono, you simply click the quote button above the post you wish to quote and it will appear in the lower box, then just remove any part of that post that is not relevent or if the whole post is relevent, then leave it as it is, and write your own comments in the above box. Be careful not to remove the word quote or the [].

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 20:06

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 27 2005, 19:39)
Harmono, you simply click the quote button above the post you wish to quote and it will appear in the lower box, then just remove any part of that post that is not relevent or if the whole post is relevent, then leave it as it is, and write your own comments in the above box. Be careful not to remove the word quote or the [].

Tracy.

THANKS!!! :)
Profile PM 
tubtattoo Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 02:59

I like the steadfast principle that everyone is entitled to a viewpoint, I'm just not sure that [/I]anyone[I] can make statements about what Mike has copped out of, or that he's become lazy or whatever.  :/

The only person who can deal in absolutes about Mike is Mike himself- he says he doesn't want to live in the past and who am I to argue?

There are albums that he has done that will always mean more to me than others because of the dark times I went through as a child and they were my escape from that hurt and suffering but I see no reason to return to that life as much as he says he doesn't want to return to that music. The handy thing is that it will always be there as testament.

We may not get the album we want but then I never got a 13 colour biro for Christmas and I always wanted one of those.  :D But it would be wrong of us to demand or accuse because we think we know better.

Who knows what his next album will be? Or if he'll tour again (and I hope he does) or do another game (not something I was into but there you go), all I know is that I'm lucky enough to have this music with me...

... sad old hippy that I am!

Love and tie dye

Malky
Profile PM 
124 replies since Sep. 22 2005, 10:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net