Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfieldlightandshade.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tansy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 04:23

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Sep. 22 2005, 19:29)
Quote (Groovy Granny @ Sep. 22 2005, 18:19)
Hasn't anyone  noticed something unusual about the L+S website image?

Are you referring to the image in the clouds?  A skull and crossbones perhaps?  Or maybe just an alien.  At least that's what I see.

Could see a definate strong image there,although not quite sure what I'd call it.All the features of a "face",perhaps wings and another part which is symbolic with "hands/feet".Seems to be watching or something.The watcher in the sky-great muse in the sky!  But as a person who likes to look at real clouds a lot anyway,could see anything couldn't I? :laugh:

@Tubularbelle,I'ts right what you say re:why English folk don't just go to shop & buy L+S cd.That's exactly what I'd planned on doing but cash more often than not goes elsewhere (not highly expensive price I know but still have teens at home & all need this/that,you know how it goes )so had to just make sure it would be mine ,secured & will arrive in post form Amazon.(BTW know which avatar would be most suitable for me,one of a banknote with animated flapping wings attached,along the lines of the old saying-money talks but all mine says is goodbye)! :O  :)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 04:56

@Ian, that T shirt link lets me get in there and select a picture for a T shirt but when I try to upload it it freezes up on me, probably just a glitch in my pc but I can see another obssession starting up for me. Kodak does personalised T shirts as well. Cheers.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Ddave_73 Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 12:54

Why have a Tshirt ?

Just get a Tubular Bells Tattoo like me :)

Hehe , I would love some profesional standard clothing from oldfield , there are places that we can get stuff made up but I am unsure about the Tubbular Bells logo as it may be copyrighted ..

Of course my Tattoo artist cares not for those details , thank god :)

The L&S site looks nice , typical oldfield quality as usual :)

Cant wait to walk into HMV with my money tightly grasped in my hand , slam down the cash on the counter .. job done :)

I hope hehe

Can someone please clarify a few things

Is the 5.1 mix out on monday ? if not then do we have a date ?

will the cd that will be in HMV have these Extra tracks ppl are talkign about ?

thanks in advance

Peace :)
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 14:32

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Sep. 22 2005, 19:29)
A skull and crossbones perhaps?

Is it too much to ask for have an entire album of pirate songs? Arrrrr!!!!!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 18:58

Quote (Ddave_73 @ Sep. 23 2005, 18:54)
Is the 5.1 mix out on monday ? if not then do we have a date ?

No, and I don't even know about an official date.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 19:46

Well, just as I said in the previous thread, I bought the album yesterday. I promised myself not to buy it before I heard it, but I guess it was a sort of impulse. Oh yeah, the price was 17.99 euro.

Well, first of all my total impression: it's not as bad as I thought. It's certainly better than Millenium Bell, but compared to Tres Lunas, I don't know. Light being of course soft music, and Shade more techno. Personally I like the Light side more than the Shade, although Shade has its nice moments.

The booklet consist of 8 pages, with 4 of them about Light, and 4 of them about Shade but flipped over 180 degrees. And the middle picture is the one you can find on MikeOldfield.com. Funny thing is that you can put the "orange" or the "blue" on front of your cd. I found the cd in the store with the "blue" on front.

There are some very nice pictures of Mike in the booklet. Also in the booklet are pictures of the sea you can see as you start the website of Light & Shade. The cd prints are distorted pictures of Mike. Also, what suprised me: I thought Mike threw away all his equipment, but in the booklet I saw he kept and used some of his synthesizers. Cool.

Well, the Light: my personal favourites are Blackbird, The Gate and Sunset. Blackbird is really nice piano tune. I like the Gate so much because of the beautiful virtual voice. Sunset is just a great happy tune (though a shame it's been made earlier). It's also a shame he made First Steps with all bit of pieces from the Tres Lunas game and put together. It's my least favourite song.

The Shade: I really had to get used to this sound. I don't know Mike in techno style. Quicksilver doesn't do anything to me, but I REALLY had to get used to Slipstream. The robot voice reminds me too much of Kraftwerk. And bearing in mind that this is the song which Mike based of the FL demo, not my favourite! It's just not Mike (figures though.. FL demo...) Resolution sounds rather nice, has its moments. Surfing is a nice track, funny to see that it's appreciated by more fans. Good choice for the single!!! Tears of an Angel is a really great song, but the intro is such a shame!! If the intro was removed it could have been much better. Ringscape is another dissapointment because of the previous made music from the Tres Lunas game.

What really bothers me though, is that most songs aren't properly faded out. Most songs end with a really short fade. Bad... :(

Overall rating from me: a nice album with more nice tunes from the Light side. Sorry Mike when I critized your album before hearing it. Hope it's allright now, because I bought your album! ;)

(oh yeah, like always: check back with me in about 6 months. Maybe my opinion is completely changed. ;) )

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 20:21

Yes Blue Dolphin your opinion wil change if you keep listening.
You bought the album yesterday and eysterday is only a day a way. I hope it will change to better in your  mind. One thing is for sure: it will find a different place in your mind, because one day is not enough for a hardcore MO fan.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2005, 06:34

yes indeed. I'm beginning to like Resolution more and more. :) great for playing in the car. This should be a single too!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2005, 07:50

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Sep. 24 2005, 07:34)
yes indeed. I'm beginning to like Resolution more and more. :) great for playing in the car. This should be a single too!

Resolution rocks.I love the way Mike uses the guitar on this tune.On some parts it reminds me of Crystal Clear.

And the car is a great enviroment to get to know better an album,at least for me it works a lot. If there's an album that I've just listened 2,3 times,I put on my car cd player and listen while I'm driving or in the middle of a big traffic jam(a classic where I live in Brazil).Highly recommended.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2005, 13:23

Listening to those clips it sounds like First Steps almost turns into Embers at one point.
Profile PM 
tubtattoo Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 08:00

Quote (Ddave_73 @ Sep. 23 2005, 12:54)
Why have a Tshirt ?

Dave,

you and me both (hence the user name... :) )

Maybe we should post a gallery of tattoos.

What bell do you have? You're not the bloke I met at Tub III with the sentinel one are you?  :/

I have the bog standard ordinary one but it still looks cool.

Looking forward to tomorrow

:D

malky x
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 12:06

;)
Why have a Tshirt ?

Just get a Tubular Bells Tattoo like me

Peace  

Dave,

you and me both (hence the user name...  )

What bell do you have? You're not the bloke I met at Tub III with the sentinel one are you?  

Looking forward to tomorrow

Hi from France !! Sorry i begin first!!!

Right arm
Triskell

Left arm
Tubular bells tatoo
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 14:11

Nice one, although not Mike relelated here's my tattoo hereMy Webpage

Almost got a copy of L+S early from my local HMV. I asked the girl behind the counter if they had it yet and she brought out a copy from a box and was about to sell it to me before her manager told her it wasn't for sale until tomorrow. ARSE
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 14:18

:O  :O ouch !! You had to suffer!!!!! ;)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 14:42

Yeah but I'll get a copy tomorrow.  ;)

Sorry. yup tattoos certainly hurt, I wouldn't deny that.
Profile PM 
tubtattoo Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 15:58

my tattoos felt more like pins and needles but they did hurt in places...

just love showing off the 'Bell tho'...  :D

Not long til I get to go to the record store, then a quick trip to somewhere picturesque and quiet (Hastings Castle this year overlooking the English Channel I think) to lose myself in it.

Worth taking the day off work without a doubt  :laugh:

Malky
Profile PM 
designer Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 19:51

Looking forward to hearing the new album. From the clips it certainly sounds good. It would be nice to see Mike produce long playing instrumental pieces again, I do miss this. One of my favourite Oldfield albums is 'Five miles out', it just has so much depth to it. I await patiently his next albums with universal. :)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 22:25

Quote (tubtattoo @ Sep. 25 2005, 08:00)

Dave,

you and me both (hence the user name... :) )

:D

malky x

You guys need to go to the new 'Members Photographs' thread in the Gallery in Miscellaneous and post pics of yourselves and your tattoos, would love to see them.

I saw a Malcolm Tuck showing off his quite large TB tattoo in Dark Star but that's not you is it Malky?

My sister has TB tattooed on her chest. I had one photo of it and sent it to a friend who never returned it and now she keeps it covered up. She says it's because she isn't a fan anymore but I don't believe that, not with all the exquisite MO related artwork etc she has done, it is because she is so fat now!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 00:30

Ok I found and pirated a copy of L+S.  HOWEVER... this is to tide me over until my copy arrives on friday!!!!!

NOW... here is my take on the album.

LOVE THE BONGO OUT OF IT... even the reworked Tres Lunas Tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

highlights for me

Resolution
Tears of an Angel
Sunset (prolly my favorite so far!!!!!;)
Surfing
First Steps
Angelique
Nightshade

think that's it for now.  i'll have to give the album a real good listen tomorrow.  i've just skimmed through it today.  so far it is one of his best albums, imho!!!!!! :)  

as a few have stated already.... the techno is pretty generic!!!!!  quicksilver is nice.  i prefer the techno piece from TMB and all those remixes done by other people.  

I give the album as of tonight (central time north america) an A- .  We'll see if it gets an A+ come tomorrow.  

Cheers
Christopher
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 06:16

P.S. - Abut the image that some people think they are seeing in the clouds on the L & S cover, it's because it's a mirror image, half a picture doubled. I don't think the ocean is the same but the reflections of the clouds in the water are the same on both sides. It's like those ink blot pictures.

--------------
Profile PM 
124 replies since Sep. 22 2005, 10:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net