Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfieldlightandshade.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 06:40

He's certainally not played one on any of his albums, he may have one tucked away in a cupboard though along with his old Fairlight
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 06:50

lol Toby,you have a great sense of humour-make's me smile after reading some of your comments :)

Perhaps we'll all be in for a big surprise,next M.O concert?! (yeah right).
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 07:01

Cheers Groovy Granny. God only knows when the next MO concert will be, hell probably wait until Vocaloid is sefficiently well developed that it can not only sing but also leap around the stage before malfunctioning in whirr of sparks and flying metal shouting 'I''ll be back', 'resistance is futile' etc etc.

Whatever did happen to Mike and emotion anyway? As he said on the Steve Wright show in 1992 'its not a person playing its only someone going 'donk' with their finger on a keyboard, why buy records when you can do it yourself' to much laughter round the studio. Oh the Irony!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 07:03

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 01 2005, 07:01)
Cheers Groovy Granny. God only knows when the next MO concert will be, hell probably wait until Vocaloid is seficiantly well developed

With all the synths, sequencers, and Vocaloid, he could even have the concert tour go on the road while he stays home!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 07:30

That's it! Mike's next tour will be the "Mike at Home Tour" with virtual vocoloid leaping around the stage and pre-programmed computer music whilst Mike stays at home and has a shower and a guiness :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 07:58

Until a while ago,Kraftwerk had their enourmous Kling Klang studio with them during their live performances. Now you've got 4 laptops Sony Vaio(the virtual version of Kling Klang) and they work perfectly.

As for Mike...after listening carefully to Schiller's Er(Leben) (their live album), I would say that if Mike is thinking on 2006 to get on tour again that what you've found on this album is a good possibility to analyse. About the Vocaloid stuff,all pre-recorded and triggered in the exact parts they have their job to sing.Get some images of MusicVR games also during the concert...an interactive one...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 10:19

Lets Face it watching someone playbehind a Computer
Synth Keyboard is not much "Fun" for all Concerned !!
"Live" normally means putting a bit of a Show on!! So
L & S  would be a Hard one to "Stage" I guess unless
someone could come up with a really Cool Effect to
make it Work... Could see if Alice Cooper was free that
night I guess  lol  :D
Profile PM 
Danyan Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 15:53

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

¿Light+Shande on Tour? It could sound great or pure shit.

My vision:

A concert must be LIVE, this new album (is not a master piece but is quite good, I like it) has dozens "virtual sounds" and loops, but in a concert using ONLY (I Repeat, ONLY) real instruments, hand played instrumens, could sound GREAT!!!

For example:
- 2 grand pianos and 2 really good pianist (like the guy of TB TWO Premiere)
2 pianist playing -"fighting"- together could be interesing.

- REAL voices, human voices working together with someone playing some virtual voices/sounds on a keyboard.
Particular voices like the one of Jon Anderson could sound great.

-Drums and Drummers - think in last 70's and early 80's performances - no comments!!!

-Guitars and Bass, OF COURSE, several heavier guitars,
heavier than Ligh+Shade.
This and many other intruments...

What to play:

A Light+Shade suite mixed with "old" stuff of other albums (50%L+S 50%Other - not only small references to other albums) building long pieces developing a bit more L+S melodies (not just repeating).

More or less in a few words: Light+Shade played in a rock progressive way,,,,,more or less ;-)

What do you thing?
And Hi again.

Danyan

PD: And If we open a web topic exclusive about how the next hypotetic tour must be?
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 16:10

I agree on everything with the new kid in town :D
Welcome :)
Runaway son from Holland :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
designer Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 14:15

Just got the new album on Saturday morning (Amazon came good ). I like a lot off the tracks and Mikes trade mark guitar work is evident.
However I feel its a little computerised for want of a better description. Ive got all off Mikes mainstream albums and will eagerly await his next work. Mike Oldfields music has a funny effect on you. Its a bit like having a Mcdonalds meal, it never fully satisfies your hunger (and I dont mean that in a negative way) but you always end up going back for more, because you never know what this talented artist will come up with next
:) .

Ps. I dont really eat Mcdonalds anymore, was just speaking figuratively.  :)
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 14:21

Hello everyone...

Yes I´m new... I have been here as a guest for quite a while. I must say that I find it quite interesting reading all (nearly!;) your views concerning L+S. So far I have not heard a single second or two (true!;) from L+S - so you won´t find a review in these lines! Nor have i played Tres Lunus/Maestro so I have no prejudices, which seems to be the perfect situation to consume L+S I see! But - of course I´ve got the Tres Lunas CD!
Now - it seems as you - generally - are becoming more and more positive, or less and less negative about L+S.

And that´s what I want to talk to you all about...you see, i can hardly remember one of Mike´s album that I really liked and enjoyed on the first listening. But every - EVERY! - album has grown on me. As any other good music (besides I´m a huge Genesis-fan!;) you have to listen carefully several times to understand it (no surprise!;). But to me it seems as many of you have dumped L+S on the very first listening which is a little disappointing having Mike´s depth and complexity in mind.

But - as said above it seems that the tide is turning!

Happy??

Yes - one fine day I will get L+S - of course - relax, have a beer and get in the mood. And LISTEN several times before judging! Really don´t know what to expect!

ps: Are the bonus-tracks only available in UK??? Excuse me for being such an ignorant...
Profile PM 
Thomas Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 12:34

Just had a listen to L+S drunk for the first time. I have earlier said that the tracks on te album(s) are quite good but they are in fact VERY GOOD (with a few exceptions (three of them to be precise) ). Being from Finland and not unaccustomed to alcohol I would recommend everyone (as long as religion permits) to listen to the album while getting drunk. This will probably lighten up your mood and make you listen to the album in a more neutral manner.

Mr. Oldfield has brought us some of the best music of our time. Music is the greatest achievement of wester civilazation. We should enjoy it!
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 14:12

If Mike tours again (wow, I guess it must be "if", right?) then how about a 10-15 minute version of Amarok, employing the bits that he can play with regular instruments?

Then he can hit us with whatever he likes and most of the audience will leave happy anyway!!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 15:06

It is definitely a big if - he won't be touring for Light + Shade. Whether he does tour again will likely depend on Mike's mood and financial situation. He likes to do the big venues, but it's not so easy for him to fill them. A small venue tour would make a lot of sense, but I don't see him doing it any more than I see him signing with a small independent record label once his contract with Mercury is over.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 06:29

Do you think this double album counts as one or two of his three album deal? So if he isn't going to sign with any small record labels and he isn't going to tour and after this contract with Mercury is up, it is not renewed, that could be the end of an era, and Mike.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 06:43

I also thought that what Korgscrew said sounded a bit like the end's in sight for Mike, that his best days are over... :/
There are so many old bands who are not really big anymore, but they still tour a lot, so why can't Mike?

--------------
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 07:15

Even though L+S is a double album I'm sure it only counts as one single release under his contract.

From the way Mike has spoken in recent interviews I would say music is starting to be put on the back burner in his life. He's also said he's going to do another MVR next. I'm not sure Mike hugely enjoys playing live although he says in interviews he does but if he really loved it he would do it a lot more often I think.

There have been a few interesting debates about Mike signing to a smaller record company and how they might treat him better. However this is the third record label that doesn't seem to be putting a huge amount of promotional fire power behind him which makes me think the problem doesn't lie with the record label, if you get what I'm getting at.
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 08:39

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 08 2005, 15:06)
It is definitely a big if - he won't be touring for Light + Shade. Whether he does tour again will likely depend on Mike's mood and financial situation. He likes to do the big venues, but it's not so easy for him to fill them. A small venue tour would make a lot of sense, but I don't see him doing it any more than I see him signing with a small independent record label once his contract with Mercury is over.

Well how about settling for "Have Hayabusa + Guitar - will travel". He could just suit himself then and surprise everyone along the way,by stopping off at a few pubs en route to wherever?,and take to stage(after words with guvnor),absolutely astound the clientelle,could keep helmet on for disguise,then have a pint of the old dark stuff and up,and away!

Costs nothing to dream,does it?
;)  - hope I'm not in trouble for this :O  :)
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 10:47

You mean he could always go and play in the street and pubs with a hat in front of him for some little cash?  :/
Hmm... ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 10:57

On no - would never insult him in this way,just being a little lighthearted after reading news of perhaps no concerts in sight - that's all :/
Profile PM 
124 replies since Sep. 22 2005, 10:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net