Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfield.com updated< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Mariano
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2003, 11:52

There are lots of TB:The original,2,3,2003,Boxed mix,Orchestral,concerts,tv........I like all of them because they are all like "the same girl with diferent clothes".I don´t want to see my wife always wearing the same."Tubular Bells" are just two words.
  I like Mike´s music and i think he can do everything he wants with his own music...if you don´t like it you can buy another kind of music. Nobody puts you a gun on your head and says Buy it!!!
  I really hope the next album will be something like Amarok!!!
 Mike, thanks for your music...and call it "tortilla con patatas".
Asma
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2003, 12:40

:D A NEW AMAROK!!!!!????

HEHEHE, this is totally imposible, man. It´s imposible for these stupid hands wich are in Mike. Mike is not a virtuoso now, with the guitar and composing. It is a terrible boring musician now. To sleep, relaxing ant all this easy things to do. The Oldfields with power and refresh ideas is dead. I like Earth moving a lot and Every THINGS before TSOD (that is an amateur electronic CD) Where are his fast riffs... his virtual solos,... his naturallity???? simply dead
Mariano
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2003, 13:03

"There is nothing imposible"
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 12 2003, 13:55

I certainaly don't think Mike should stop making music, in the end he's the artist so he's entitled to make what he wants. I do pretty much agree with some of what 'The Exorsist' says regarding the 'Tubular Bells franchise' idea, I bet the record company will be laughing all the way to the bank next month, also I think that TB box set is an out right rip off on their behalf. It will only be us fans who buy it and there's very little to make it in anyway worth having considering we own these albums already. It could have been really special.

I do loath what I've heard of that bass line but I'm not going to pass anymore judgement untill I've heard the rest.

Will it be an interesting new dynamic Tubular Bells or will it be a naff, over produced musical nightmare. We'll see.

Nuff'said
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 14:57

I think that the 'truest' [I don't know if this exists in English... :)] statement about Mike and his music has been made by theweightless at the end of page 1 of this topic. Mike makes music FOR HIMSELF, not for us. The only reason why he re-recorded TB was that HE was not satisfied with the original recording, not because WE had any particular need or request for a re-recording of it. In short, if we like Mike's music, OK; if we don't like it, he doesn't care a flying f*ck and goes on making it. And I think that the best behaviour, for us, is simply accepting this.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2003, 15:18

Get over it people. The original will always be there. Why should you get this ticked off about it just because he's making another version? Maybe it's because Mike's like of Tubular Bells and his like of style of music doesn't coencide with yours? Well who cares? And why should they? Keep your opinions to yourself or at least stop flaming him and give them in a civil way. I don't agree with Toby but I respect him because he didn't freak out. At least he understands that it's Mike's music and not ours.

That said, I'm on Mike's side and will say that everything he does, I'm for it because it's what he wants for his music. I love the new re-recording a whole lot more already without even listening to it all because it was what he originally intended for it to be. Or at least what he wants it to be now.

I'm for ya, Mike. Keep doing what you feel. I have no argument.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 15:46

I think some people will change their minds when they hear the re-record of Tubular Bells. :cool:

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 12 2003, 21:58

I think Mike Oldfield should give up making music and go back to sawing guitars in half and stealing potatoes from the greengrocers, then at least we'd not hear the same old "Mike should stop making music" arguments any more, and we could start interesting discussions on instrument building and potato recipes.

Have the people calling Mike's efforts amateurish spent much time around amateur musicians? Mike's work rarely strikes me as anything less than the work of a very competent engineer and musician. It doesn't always strike me as the work of a very competent engineer and musician who's made all the right decisions of course, but I'd not question whether he fully knows what he's doing. The work of amateur musicans can be very good, but there's also a huge amount of rubbish out there (the stuff which one might call amateurish), and Mike Oldfield is definitely amongst any of that. His stuff's acceptably in time and in tune, and the recordings are always clear sounding and well balanced - I've heard an awful lot of work from bedroom musicians which isn't any of those things, and to say that Mike falls into the same category would be a load of over-opinionated balls if you ask me. I do feel that some elements of his (not just recent) output only serve to cheapen the sound, but it's still a classier sound than would come out of a cheap set of soundblaster samples (though these things get better seemingly by the second...). Both the sax on Tres Lunas and this bass which has sparked so much discussion are from software synthesisers, though...make of that what you will.

P.S. If anybody didn't catch the irony in my opening paragraph, I wasn't being serious...
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 22:52

HA! My post got deleted, and I'd already edited it so not to be offensive. I guess suggesting these people get a hobby was too extreme  :D

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 22:54

Another point that I just thought of, if Mike wanted to achieve a bass-like sound without playing the bass - perhaps as has been said he can't play it so well anymore - why didn't he use an electric guitar and distort it in the same way that the White Stripes do on their new song "Seven Nation Army"? That would produce a far more authentic sound than the synth he actually has used?

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 23:01

To everyone who made those insulting comments:

Have you listened to the echoes radio interview. There is an mp3 in the news section here and I would just like to hear your comments on the guitar bits of the new TB that are featured on the interview. I dare you to listen to the first guitar section and tell me that Mike has no soul or emotion anymore. That is my one wish, just tell me your opinions on those bits.

PS: If no-one answers I will have to assume that all you are capable of doing is making insulting comments with no actual value. Sorry, but this forum is for constructive critisism, not childish insults.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 13 2003, 06:36

One other point. In one of those recent interviews (could have been 'Sound on Sound' but can't remember) did the interviewer not comment on hearing the openeing part and comment that the synth bass used may well be replaced by a real guitar sound? Or am I dreaming all this up. Anyway it obviously hasn't been replaced so it's all academic now anyway. Shame.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: April 13 2003, 11:16

I fully supported the guy who made that Tubular Bells 3 protest list. If he's reading this. I sure would like to hear what he thinks about this new recording. I heard he had over 10.000 names in the end.

Please for God sake???????????

That was about the most redicolus I've ever heard!

Get a life or something and dont buy the album if everything is so horrible to you.

Personly I am going to enjoy it and see if I like this version better than the original which I do not like very much. But I do not starting protest lists against that one, I just dont listne to it.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
asma
Unregistered

Posted: April 13 2003, 14:00

:(  I HOPE THAT THIS RIDICULOUS BASS SYNTH WILL BE A BAD JOKE FROM THE OLD MIKE.....

TOBY; THE INTERVIEW IS HERE: http://www.ampmusic.demon.co.uk/emixconcerts.html

"The piece sounds incredible now - astonishingly crisp, with a much more powerful virtual synthesis bass line in the opening section (though that may yet be replaced by a "real" instrument)"

And the echoes interview have a good guitars, yes, but... the bass in the Blues part...mmmm I think that is a synth again.....

THIS IS A COVER FROM GINO MARELLO´S TUBULAR BELLS, with Mike as guest in the guitars....
JCG
Unregistered

Posted: April 14 2003, 11:05

omg... what a load of silly complaints... tb 3 protest list? get a life! i love tb 3, in fact i'm listening to it NOW. every artist has their ups & downs. there's stuff i dislike from mo, & stuff i love more & more every day. and that's that. i wouldn't dream about saying he's "finished" just because i dislike some stuff (very FEW songs/pieces, actually).

:(
Graham K
Unregistered

Posted: April 15 2003, 08:47

I think it is unfair to condem Mike and the re-recording after only listening to a compressed MP3 sample.  I quite liked what I heard, It's pretty much what I expected.  It's a different mix to the original. The bass is much louder in this new mix, which exagerates the slightly new sound.  Personally I can't wait to hear the whole album. I'm sure it will have a more clinical sound which many will not like. A re-recording of a classic album will always be controversial.  The intension of the re-recording is not to replace the original, but to fix some imperfections and provide a modern alternative, that I'm sure many people will prefer.  To the "Exorcist" and likes, no one is saying that you have to like new 2003 version, so keep listening to the original! :)
asma
Unregistered

Posted: April 15 2003, 20:29

Today I have bought the Art in Heaven DVD. The Mike´s guitar play is the same that "Essential" video  :D
 :laugh:  A great guitar player, yes
alex
Unregistered

Posted: April 16 2003, 15:06

Don't worry - they are existentialists - with no a priori ideas and so on...
In my opinion they are a bit lost and there is something of decadence in them... Let us hope that they will not begin to judge M. ad hominem...

Besides:
FLEE, my friend, into thy solitude! I see thee deafened with the
noise of the great men, and stung all over with the stings of the
little ones.
 Admirably do forest and rock know how to be silent with thee.
Resemble again the tree which thou lovest, the broad-branched one-
silently and attentively it o'erhangeth the sea.
 Where solitude endeth, there beginneth the market-place; and where
the market-place beginneth, there beginneth also the noise of the
great actors, and the buzzing of the poison-flies.
Thus spake Zarathustra....

....and this could be the only reason for our Overman to leave us....

alex
alex
Unregistered

Posted: April 16 2003, 15:09

Mein Gott...
I posted it in wrong place, I mean I did not notice next pages of the discussion. This should be at the end of page 1,of course! (I replied to Theweightless)
al
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 18 2003, 20:31

There was another update on mikeoldfield.com today, but it´s more into the visual part then new stuff....

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
48 replies since April 11 2003, 15:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net