Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfield.com updated< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 11 2003, 15:31

mikeoldfield.com has been updated with a new design, the cover of 'Tubular Bells 2003' and a section about The Tube World.
Profile PM 
Tieò_mesaèného_svitu Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 11 2003, 15:50

I prefer simplier design (like tubular.net) but the website is now much better than it used to be. I like it.
And the Tube World pictures look well.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 16:32

I'm not very sure about the letters used (at least for the 2003) and it is curious that Mike Oldfield's name is again out from an album cover. Will WEA add an ugly sticker like before???
That also demonstrate that Tubular Bells sells itself!!!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 16:43

Glad to see MikeOldfield.com with a new design,but what the heck is that promo calendar you find on the page where you see a patchwork of Mike´s pics?

There´s another Mike new pic on that patchwork.This one he looks like the Mike Oldfield I reconize....as Mike Oldfield. :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 17:03

Design by F. Oldfield??????????? Relative??

And I discovered a forum! (whoa, i'm slow) Since when has there been a forum there? Kinda messy... lots and lots of text..

And the promo calendar is indeed not working yet.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tieò_mesaèného_svitu Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 17:16

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ April 11 2003, 23:03)

I think it's Fanny. I heard she had won a webdesign contest some time ago.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 17:46

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the idol-like silver man with wide-spread arms and the plane first appeard in what is (IMHO) one of the best-ever of Mike's video releases, i.e. The Wind Chimes. That video also featured a volcano, some cats, a floating, pinkish Fender Stratocaster (also used in Pictures in the Dark), and a ride through a dark tunnel (or something like it...) leading towards a bright light... everything (idol, planes, volcano, cats, Fender Strat, tunnel) also appearing in another well-known MO 'video' release. ;) What else from TWC are we likely to find in The Tube World? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 18:39

Oooohhh yes, I loved the Wind Chimes! Beautiful effects Mike made with that edit machine. Haven't played it some time now, maybe a time to start the VHS again :D

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Exorcist
Unregistered

Posted: April 11 2003, 20:06

I really don't understand how you can say you like the sound of this? It sounds like nothing more than a real poor cover version from one of those "Moods"-ablums. What the f*ck is that synth-bass doing there??! It sounds like a shitty soundfont-sound that comes with the soundblaster-cards. Pathetic! Mike is a fantastic bassplayer. What in gods name has happened???

Mike Oldfield has gone from being the greatest musician in the world to one of the absolute lamest! This first part is the most important piece of the album and what has he done with it? It's stiff as a corpse! No magic left what so ever. This is the ultimate proof kids what drugs will do to your creativity and judgement after long time usage. Makes you lose all feelings in your body.
And the new age version of the cover is just to much, I'm just surprised he didn't choose a more purple sky, or why weren't there any crystals floating around in the water.

Now before you start bitching about me not having heard the entire album. Don't! I HAVEN'T heard the entire album but concidering he has totally sterilised the most important part of the album, I don't have any hope whatsoever left.

And that "modern" version... It has that wonderful amateur-quality to it. The guy could probably have gotten any of the really great artists who do that kind of music to do a mix of it but instead he lets some total moron do it... Probably one of his Ibiza junky DJ´s.

Mike. You are finished! You should have quit after TSODE. I am so f*cking dissapointed! Go finish your toy-helicopter instead Mike. Why don't you just fly away. Forever...
Toby  (not logged on)
Unregistered

Posted: April 11 2003, 21:03

I've just gone back and listened to the introduction sample again and I agree completely with the above point about the bass line, this doesn't fill me with hope.
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 21:45

Quote (Tieò_mesaèného_svitu @ April 11 2003, 20:16)
Quote (Blue Dolphin @ April 11 2003, 23:03)

I think it's Fanny. I heard she had won a webdesign contest some time ago.

Of course it is...Fanny Oldfield...hehehe...since the tapes episode,she prefers to be low profile and sign F.Oldfield.

BTW,I love the mix of pictures of Mike that you can see here:Mike Oldfield page @ MikeOldfield.com
Nice work she did!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 22:09

Quote (Guest @ April 12 2003, 01:06)
Go finish your toy-helicopter instead Mike. Why don't you just fly away. Forever...

Ooooh bitter and whiny. Now go away.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that that video on the DVD is of the dance remix version that you heard in that second snippet. It is shorter in length than the album version, so I'm guessing this version will be released as a single, and that is the video for it. And also that the hoover demo shall be a hidden extra on the DVD.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
fizzicato
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2003, 07:44

:(  I´m agree with Exorcist. This is the end of Mike. This is no doubt. A porr quantized and amateur cover of this master work. Mike was great from TB to TBII. After this.... Mike only had been a shadow of himself. MIKE, GO OUT OF MUSIC SCENE AND SAVE YOUR PRESTIGE... . You are a B composer now, worst than a lot of musicians that make music in their home with not contract. Mi friends laughs me when I speak about you because of you are now...
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2003, 08:00

I like it actually, and I like the dance remixes as well.

If you think the synth bass sounds like a SoundFont, then you try playing it in such a way that you get the pitch bends, etc., as accurate. That is a MIDI guitar, IMHO.

The new cover looks great and I can't wait to hear the album, I just wish that the Complete Tubular Bells box had a little more in it than just TB2, TB3 and TB2003. Promos for Sentinel and The Bell on the DVD would be good, and maybe a remastered version of Mike Oldfield's Single. Still, at least they are not lumping TMB in with the real Tubular Bells albums.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 08:28

Too all the people who are now saying this is the end of Mike Oldfield: let me ask you something. If you were fans of Mike during the 80s, I'm willing to bet that you listened to Islands and Earth Moving and were saying exactly the same things then: "He's turned into a pop artist" "He's gone commercial" and so on. Then he made Amarok and TSODE, two of his all-time most liked albums. Just because he does a few albums you don't like dosen't mean "the end".  OK, you don't like the bass sound, but if you think that means that the whole album will be bad you will surely be mistaken. At least listen to the Echoes radio interview before you make a judgement. A musicians whole career does not rest on one bass sound.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 09:07

Well said raven!

To Mike it will sound "new", because he allways wanted to have it perfect. To some of us, it may be sound a little "cheap", because we think TB1 is a masterpiece and can't be re-recorded. But I think TB2003 will sound great! Maybe, just maybe, he should have used old synths from the 70's IMHO. But I think that was not an option for Mike because it will not sound new. I first thought that bass sound was a real bass, but Korgscrew cleared things up.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Exorcist
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2003, 09:25

I just had to listen to the clip again today just to see if I just had a bad day, bad dream or if it simply was just BAD....  And just like Marlon Brando said in Apocalypse Now... "The horror.... The Horror...".

As someone said, yeah Mike probably uses a midi guitar and sure he probably has better taste than using a soundfont from Creative but you can use soundfonts to be triggered by a midi guitar as well and that is what is sounds like. So incredibly poor.
The entire thing is overly quantised as well and that is what makes it so stiff. There's no emotion left in the playing.

I don't even think it's a real piano he's playing. It sounds like one of my pianos from Native Instruments or something. Don't get me wrong. Native Instruments make great soft synths but it can't be compaired to the real thing.

And to the one who said that I probably hated Islands and Earth Moving. True I do hate Earth Moving but i like the instrumental parts of Islands, though it's far from any of my favourites. But I didn't think it was the end of his carrer. I did fear the worst though when I first heard the news that he was going to make Tubular Bells 3. I think it's was just a poor excuse to make fast money. I fully supported the guy who made that Tubular Bells 3 protest list. If he's reading this. I sure would like to hear what he thinks about this new recording. I heard he had over 10.000 names in the end.

I really love Tubular Bells and it anoys me to death what Mike has done with this timeless classic. He has made it into some sort of franchise. Tubular Bells has gone from being the highest class wine in the world to a cup of pee-warm coca cola at MC Donalds at three a clock in the morning...

What's next? Mike doing a TV-show ala Ozzy?
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 09:32

Oh no. That piano is real allright! I think it's the piano we saw on "The Heaven and Earth Show" on BBC.

TB3 protest list.....?? Please...

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 10:56

Would you idiots talking of your "embarassment" and saying that Mike should "go out of music" please shut up? You've heard one minute on mp3 that is not the highest quality definition, and you can't stop moaning. Tubular Bells 3 protest list? HOW PATHETIC, FIND SOMETHING MORE WORTHWHILE TO DO WITH YOUR TIME.

Mike could have stopped making music many years ago, but he has kept going, despite any troubles in his life with alcohol, drugs or relationships, and despite the pig-headed, ignorant and bullshit British press' constant negative comments. You ungrateful people that make these silly comments that he should leave music are just...well I would like to speak my mind but this post would be deleted. You are what you are.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 11:09

some people seem to forget that Mike is not making music for them..he's making it for himself..

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
48 replies since April 11 2003, 15:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net