[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfield.com updated< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 07:47

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 17 2008, 21:57)
Reference that youtube clip - an out-take from the MCN (motor cycle news) video?

Nope,it was from MOTS EPK  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 09:14

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 18 2008, 12:47)
Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 17 2008, 21:57)
Reference that youtube clip - an out-take from the MCN (motor cycle news) video?

Nope,it was from MOTS EPK  ;)

I notice he says in the clip about all his ideas coming to him while he is riding his bike. Anyone want to start a "Mike petrol fund donation scheme"?  I'd chip in a pound or two... :laugh:

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 17:25

Has he run out of money now!

I don´t think so!

:(
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 19:20

Quote (manintherain @ Jan. 18 2008, 22:25)
Has he run out of money now!

I don´t think so!

:(

I think this is a wrong interpretatio - I think he want to buy some fuel for mike so he can be encouraged go out and think up some more ideas!!!!

Make another Ommadawn or Amarok or FMO or anything with screaming PRS''s.

:D  :(

:cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 21:08

Quote (TOBY @ Jan. 18 2008, 18:07)
I think its the latter. You've got to remember the budgets for maintaining these websites is quite often tiny (I bet control of MO.com has been handed over to someone at Universal) I'm quite active over at the Chemical Brothers website and they had to seriously fight their record company last year to get them to lift a finger and put up the funds to get their website a much needed overhaul, and they're a huge international act! So its not surprising that most fansites are run with far greater effort , people are doing it for the love of it and for no money.

I would like to see more musicians taking control of their own websites - either by finding an independent design company, or doing it themselves.

I am the first one to defend everyday people by saying that not everyone is technical and won't have the know-how to do this kind of stuff on their own.  However, there is plenty of decent software out there that can be installed for a small fee (if you don't want to do it on your own) and then the person who owns the content can publish new or updated information without having to pay a webmaster for every little change.

I can think of one UK DJ - John 00 Fleming - who is very well known and very busy but still makes the effort to post a monthly blog entry on MySpace.  Personally I think MySpace is a really bad site for blogging, but at least Fleming posts the content.  This is more than can be said for most well-known music professionals...

Even the most popular / most busy musicians should make an effort to connect with their fanbase properly.  After all we're the ones who buy their music and go to their concerts.  I would much rather read a MySpace blog entry from the people who write the music I listen to, than see a Flashy website that only gets updated once every 18 months.  Compare MO.com to tubular.net - there is no comparison.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 05:23

As far as Mike is concerned though he is now at the end of his career so i think thats obviously the reason why there is no movement or interest from him as far as his website goes. Had the internet been around in its current form 10, 15 or 20 years ago I'm sure he would have been a lot more active just as he was for a time when it was all knew and exciting at the start of this decade. MOTS proved that selling and publicizing his work is his last priority these days. He almost seems more interested in publicizing his property portfolio and dislike of British weather rather than his artistic output.
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 06:39

And what about calling fans to do the design of their fav artists' websites as well as dealing with its contents?

Hans here had 2 ideas that later appeared on MO's CD artwork - Tr3s Lunas + L+S(the O logo).

Why not now? There are full of talented people that would help to boost MO.com and make more interesting(for the old and new fans).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 23:30

I like the countdown clock.  :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 09:52

Having just seen the mailing list bit, I was amused to see Universal may "keep me posted on other Oldies"

LOL!

So Mike is an Oldie now?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 06:16

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 19 2008, 20:39)
And what about calling fans to do the design of their fav artists' websites as well as dealing with its contents?

Hans here had 2 ideas that later appeared on MO's CD artwork - Tr3s Lunas + L+S(the O logo).

Why not now? There are full of talented people that would help to boost MO.com and make more interesting(for the old and new fans).

That's not a bad idea...  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Jan. 30 2008, 07:35

Now on MO.com there's a player where you can hear the excepts from MOTS while surfing on the website :)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2008, 12:19

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 22 2008, 09:52)
So Mike is an Oldie now?

Better than being a Newbie! :)

"lol n00b"

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2008, 14:14

Quote (Moz @ Jan. 23 2008, 11:16)
Tati The Sentinel,Jan. 19 2008, 20:39]And what about calling fans to do the design of their fav artists' websites as well as dealing with its contents?

We could even lend him some guitars!!

Hee!   :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 31 2008, 21:04

While surfing on the net,I've found Aled Jones' official website(the Pictures in the Dark soprano kid)  - http://www.aledjones.co.uk/ - which is also run by Universal...

But I don't wanna MO.com like this...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2008, 04:29

No, I wouldn't like that either.

Websites should not be 100% Flash-based.  It makes the site absolutely horrible to navigate.

Also, music should not start automatically!  :(

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 01 2008, 06:06

Universal Classics and Jazz has added two (already familiar) promotional pictures of Mike to their website.

:zzz:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2008, 18:38

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 01 2008, 03:04)
While surfing on the net,I've found Aled Jones' official website(the Pictures in the Dark soprano kid)  - http://www.aledjones.co.uk/ - which is also run by Universal...

Yes, Aled Jones, the boy soprano - and adult baritone. :) He's still got a very nice voice IMHO, although, with the kind of repertoire he's into, I'm really horrified at the thought of him turning into a sort of Josh Groban or Andrea Bocelli number two. :D

I agree with you both, Tati and Ben, about the very un-welcoming aspect of the 100% Flash interface. Just to mention one other reason why I do, apart from the un-navigability: I wanted to print some covers of his past "adult" albums so I can order them from my local shops, but the g'damned Flash design doesn't allow me to print anything at all. F*ck Flash, I'd say. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 02 2008, 08:09

Quote (Moz @ Feb. 01 2008, 10:29)
Also, music should not start automatically!  :(

I hate that too. It is so  :(
Why do they have it like that on many music sites??
Normally, i play music while surfing on the net..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2008, 08:46

I think it's because then everyone who visits will hear the music, which apparently is a good thing... but it's not.  Like you, I play music while surfing the web... any autoplaying music will make me leave a site immediately.  It's at least as bad as popup ads... possibly worse.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 02 2008, 09:56

Quote (Moz @ Feb. 02 2008, 13:46)
I think it's because then everyone who visits will hear the music, which apparently is a good thing... but it's not.

Bad news also when you're surfing at work and have forgotten to turn the speakers down!   :p

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
44 replies since Jan. 16 2008, 17:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net