Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike working on ideas for "A New Ommadawn"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Yann Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 24 2015, 10:41

As a side note, have you ever wondered what would happen if he actually tried to do his '70 style now? What if the music is finally not what you were hoping for? What if the music was lacking his "muse inspiration from the past"? Could you live with the huge disappointment?

Well, we can check it this xmas, can't we?. The movie with the biggest fanbase ever is back with a sequel done in the original 70s style. And I see people being quite positive about it, being aware that maybe it will work it out, or maybe it won't. But no matter what, they're doing their best.

And I'm afraid it won't. Abrams is amazingly skilled with the external form, though he usually misses the soul (it happened in Super 8). However, it's great they've tried to bring back the magic.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2015, 11:15

Quote (Yann @ Oct. 24 2015, 10:41)
As a side note, have you ever wondered what would happen if he actually tried to do his '70 style now? What if the music is finally not what you were hoping for? What if the music was lacking his "muse inspiration from the past"? Could you live with the huge disappointment?

Well, we can check it this xmas, can't we?. The movie with the biggest fanbase ever is back with a sequel done in the original 70s style. And I see people being quite positive about it, being aware that maybe it will work it out, or maybe it won't. But no matter what, they're doing their best.

And I'm afraid it won't. Abrams is amazingly skilled with the external form, though he usually misses the soul (it happened in Super 8). However, it's great they've tried to bring back the magic.

Yes, Disney paying 4 billions for the Star Wars franchise will obviously motivate them to do their best!

What if it was George Lucas himself who tried to do is old style?

Personally, I prefer that it is another team who will direct this movie because obviously, Georges was not that great with 1-2-3 (they were good in fact, but you know what I mean). Most people prefer the magic of 4-5-6.

This seventh opus is a huge thing, I really can't wait to see this and judge for myself! But I think bringing back a magic is mostly impossible in any kind of work. Like you said however, it's great they try in some way. Only 18 December will tell.
Profile PM 
Yann Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2015, 22:09

What if it was George Lucas himself who tried to do is old style? Personally, I prefer that it is another team who will direct this movie because obviously, Georges was not that great with 1-2-3 (they were good in fact, but you know what I mean). Most people prefer the magic of 4-5-6.

Lucas is as great right now as he was before. People don't become untalented or unskilled suddenly. However, there is many reasons that can make a person unable to let his talent flow.

Lucas, for example, seemed to be overwhelmed. Spielberg movies and Star Wars changed the way movies were done.  This is a HUGE responsibility. It can be very difficult to be only normal after have been great, and you can feel paralyzed by it. I think that Lucas someway felt obliged to keep being great, and that can block you completely. Add to this that it's known Lucas already had anxiety problems during his early films. It's likely that after Star Wars' success they boosted exponentially. It's not enough to have talent. You need to be able to let it flow. Maybe Lucas felt that he couldn't do it anymore and decided to let Star Wars go. But this was his choice, since he is the only one that knew what he could or couldn't do.

Oldfield seems to be more complex than Lucas. He was a genious and he is a genious. The question is why hasn't he been able to reach his 70s level. And the answer is: who knows? Maybe him, maybe not even him. People's mind can be very complex. If I had to make a bet, I would say that because of his lack of social skills at 20s, he was quite abused by people. It can be very frustrating that, while you're working 24/7 to deliver some great music, which is a GIFT to the world, this very same world keeps abusing you. Maybe a part of him decided to stop doing great music because it thought the world didn't deserve it. That can block you, but... who knows?

But one thing for sure: the talent is still there.
Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2015, 13:40

Quote (Nige @ Oct. 22 2015, 02:36)
Quote (gths @ Oct. 21 2015, 19:26)
Let him do whatever he wants. If we get an awesome new album out of it, it's a bonus.

Well said!

Indeed!
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2015, 00:00

Interesting October 25th update from Mike.
Hergest Ridge was distinct from Tubular Bells, and Ommadawn distinct from the two before, and Incantations distinct from what went before. Similarly, (not to single out any previous work out for any particular reason) Platinum, Amarok, Songs of Distant Earth, Voyager, Tres Lunas, Light and Shade, they're all different, and have their own personality.  It's what has made, and continues to make, Mike's music so much fun and personal to listen to.
Could I be disappointed that something new is in the pipeline, that will not be a sequel to anything that has gone before? Absolutely not.  
I'm looking forward to it, whatever form it ultimately takes.
Profile PM 
Yann Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2015, 01:14

With regard to Mike's

I can always do a Tubular Bells prequel in a year or two, and then an Ommadawn prequel / Sequel after that...
Would you be very disappointed if the next Album is not related to any previous Album ?
I would like very much to hear your thoughts ... Mike

My answer would be: whatever drives you. Whatever makes you play, whatever makes you enjoy keep making music, whatever makes you feel it. Just let it go and go with it. You're the genious, mate, not us.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2015, 03:02

Quote (Drealm @ Oct. 24 2015, 09:16)
I just hope this comes from him, not from begging fans.

As always I hope it's the kind of original, ground breaking music that attracted to me Mike's music in the first place. The same sensation that attracts me to anyone's music.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2015, 07:01

Quote (Yann @ Oct. 26 2015, 01:14)
With regard to Mike's

I can always do a Tubular Bells prequel in a year or two, and then an Ommadawn prequel / Sequel after that...
Would you be very disappointed if the next Album is not related to any previous Album ?
I would like very much to hear your thoughts ... Mike

My answer would be: whatever drives you. Whatever makes you play, whatever makes you enjoy keep making music, whatever makes you feel it. Just let it go and go with it. You're the genious, mate, not us.

Well said. For me it may be completely "Something New" (not releated to any album), as long as it going to be new real instrumental with not much synth at all style album.
The "prequel" or "sequel" of TB or Ommadawn would also be very interesting things, as it's just hard to imagine, how these could exactly sound, but i can realize it as something simmilar in form like long instrumental pieces, instruments like bagpipes, drums, different guitar sounds, but also mood and complexity with some of his trademarks climaxes. Something deep, long and emotional.

At the end, i would be just happy with any instrumental (releated or not to his other works) album, but made in traditional way as the early albums were. It's also amazing, that Mike has energy and desires to create such a new album and is mentioning about his future plans to make more instrumental albums! Mike is back! :)
Profile PM 
sikejsudjek Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2015, 07:56

Long instrumentals with real instruments is his strongest genre IMO. There are few other composers that can get even close. I hope he does what he wants to do - he's earnt the right not to worry about what fans want or what A&R people think will sell.
Profile PM 
nigel Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2015, 12:21

Hey Mike,

Me again. "a life of it's own"! Sounds even more exciting than an Ommadawn sequel!

Go for it! Go! Go! Go!

Best

Nigel :p

--------------
love to
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2015, 15:52

I don't care what he makes as long as it's geniune, not rushed, and from the heart. I don't care if he takes four more years to make an album. I want him to take his time and give the world something great, like I know he can.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 30 2015, 14:34

Quote (AwayWeGo @ Oct. 28 2015, 12:52)
I don't care what he makes as long as it's geniune, not rushed, and from the heart. I don't care if he takes four more years to make an album. I want him to take his time and give the world something great, like I know he can.

Doesn't apply to Mike, I think, but: "To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
Profile PM 
Golf-Mike-Oscar-Victor-Juliet Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2015, 11:20

Hi Mike,

Ideas... ideas.. let me see. how about asking Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins) to guest vocal upon your new Opus? She certainly could add that haunting aspect found upon your earlier works.

Best

James
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2015, 11:24

Totally amazing news!
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2015, 11:28

Quote (napoleon @ Oct. 20 2015, 09:47)
Mike, do what you are best at, and what God gave you your talent for, play to your immense strenghts.
Do instrumental music, and dont slice evrything into 14-16 cuts of music, so it can be sold on ITunes. Make it symphony like.

Exactly my opinion too! Make it two tracks only: part I and II.

I prefer it to be more to the difficult and experimental end, rather than easy listening...

Very good news, irrespective if related to Ommadawn or not. In particular, use lots of real instruments.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2016, 07:57

In my opinion, Mike is best if he doesn't have too much of a plan, and allows himself to be playful and inventive and try out something new or unusual. That's when you get Tubular Bells and Amarok. Its not knowing what you're getting into but having the aptitude to make something of it that seems to make great creativity work for him.

There, that's tuppence well spent.
Profile PM 
35 replies since Oct. 15 2015, 19:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net