Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike talks about TB re-release on Telegraph.co.uk< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 10 2009, 12:19

Here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture....ls.html

Including a new pic of Mike \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 10 2009, 12:26

That's a really nice interview! Thanks Tati.

Favorite quote to me about being known for Tubular Bells: "If it was a horrible thing I was known for, like some horrible pop song, it would annoy me, but it doesn't. I'm proud of it."

Also sounds very contented at the moment - well deserved!

Only thing I felt was downbeat was his comment about friends and lawyers. I understand it but what a shame to feel that way  :/

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 12:31

Nice one Tati, cheer's.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 10 2009, 13:20

Quote (Matt @ June 10 2009, 18:26)
Also sounds very contented at the moment - well deserved!

Only thing I felt was downbeat was his comment about friends and lawyers. I understand it but what a shame to feel that way  :/

Matt,

Maybe I have mistaken the interview but it´s not as I read it.

He does sound more relaxed (as in - I can´t do anything about it anyway - posture)
Actually I got the sense that he still has many things to cope with and it made me at little sad on his behalf..

well.., maybe I have totally misread the intentions and the feel of the interview...hmm  :/
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 13:58

has anyone tried the "new track" family man?? Doesn't work for me.  Is it just the track we know?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 10 2009, 14:52

new track?? hahaha.. from 80's.. No this sounds just like Family man, the orginal track.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 15:28

I think Mike may well have been ironic when saying that he has lawyers instead of friends. He's got two kids and a wife with him so he's obviously not become a complete misanthrope!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Airborne Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 17:01

Quote (Matt @ June 10 2009, 17:26)
Favorite quote to me about being known for Tubular Bells: "If it was a horrible thing I was known for, like some horrible pop song, it would annoy me, but it doesn't. I'm proud of it."

What about:

"I'm just so grateful and astonished that I'm still respected and listened to. It's fantastic, isn't it?"
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 17:01

Not having ever walked a mile in Mr. Oldfield's shoes, my opinion is barely worth the paper it's written on.  But speaking strictly as an observer I'd have to say that if he rationalizes the preponderance of lawyers in his life by saying it's "the world we live in", then it may be because people like him helped to make it that way.  I want to give him a manly shake of the shoulders and tell him, "For God's sake, go out and make some friends, man.  REAL friends, that don't give a rat's ass about the whole Superstar trip.  It's not that hard, but if you walk around with the preconception that the whole world is out to take you, it will surely be a self-fulfilling prophesy."

One way to start is to not constantly be waving the banner for morbid self-preoccupation in every interview.  But I suppose that's an easy cage to stay confined in if one is surrounded by people who somehow benefit from keeping one in that captivity.

Again, strictly as an observer.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 10 2009, 17:40

The UK's Daily Telegraph has printed an interview with Mike, where he talks about life in the Bahamas and the remix and re-release of Tubular Bells.

Thanks, Chris Simmons and Adrian
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 22:04

Korgie,since you've just opened a new topic to discuss this article,you can lock here,and add people's comments on the new one  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 23:30

He sure did look happy driving his new boat. I have a little renewed faith now that he might do another original CD. One can get burned out on boats and windsurfing eventually. I hope so, for my future MO collection's sake.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 01:43

He sounds to me like he needs the money - like he has a lot of overheads.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 02:20

He is more relaxed, stil down to earth, the same mike we have grown to love, and his music, legend, onya mike and family
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 04:28

Quote (Bassman @ June 10 2009, 22:01)
Not having ever walked a mile in Mr. Oldfield's shoes, my opinion is barely worth the paper it's written on.  But speaking strictly as an observer I'd have to say that if he rationalizes the preponderance of lawyers in his life by saying it's "the world we live in", then it may be because people like him helped to make it that way.  I want to give him a manly shake of the shoulders and tell him, "For God's sake, go out and make some friends, man.  REAL friends, that don't give a rat's ass about the whole Superstar trip.  It's not that hard, but if you walk around with the preconception that the whole world is out to take you, it will surely be a self-fulfilling prophesy."

One way to start is to not constantly be waving the banner for morbid self-preoccupation in every interview.  But I suppose that's an easy cage to stay confined in if one is surrounded by people who somehow benefit from keeping one in that captivity.

Again, strictly as an observer.

I agree with your sentiments Bassman,although as you say it is difficult to see things from his perspective.From my own perspective,I think over the years friends kind of drift apart anyway.I`ve probably only got about 3/4 close friends myself now,and I`ve lived nigh on in the same place for almost 30 years.I have some pretty good friends at work as well mind,although not really on a social level.You know maybe Mike gets on well with some of those lawyer guys,who knows?..It makes for pretty depressing reading though I must admit,particularly at the head of the interview there.Plus the fact it takes him so long to answer it,it`s kind of young Mike revisted almost.The guy does have his family though,which imo I think he really needs to be honest.

It`s an interesting thing,but because Mike started out so young he`s actualy younger himself than a lot of those original punk guys anyway.He`s certainly in the same age bracket at the very least.Anyway it`s nice to see Mike`s views on punk mellowing somewhat.Sounds to me like he`s seen a couple of those Country Life commercials.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 05:18

Interesting interview. Although MO still sounds a bit preoccupied with his personal demons to me. Surely he can enjoy himself a bit more these days what with a lovely wife and kids, a boat and a nice pad in the Bahamas? Instead he's whinging about lawyers and not having any real friends!! That can't be true surely...?

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 06:42

It was a surprisingly respectful interview.

What I found most interesting is that he now actually likes the mistakes in the original TB. Why re-record it in 2003 then?
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 11 2009, 07:06

Quote (Elf @ June 11 2009, 11:42)
What I found most interesting is that he now actually likes the mistakes in the original TB. Why re-record it in 2003 then?

The way I have taken that is that he always felt irratated that due to lack of time in the studio for the original album, it contained mistakes that he felt shouldn't have been in the album. The 2003 recording was his opportunity to "do it properly" and his recent comments are I think him realising just how good a job he had actually managed to do back in 1973 despite the lack of time!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 07:32

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 11 2009, 04:28)
You know maybe Mike gets on well with some of those lawyer guys,who knows?..

Yes I can imagine he'll be on friendy terms with those lawyers, but there's a power imbalance, so by definition they won't be REAL friends.

I can't see how a relationship can be a true friendship if it's not equalised, and it can't be equal if one employs the other. Likewise, you can't have a friendship with your priest, doctor, therapist, parent, teacher, M.P, butcher, baker, candlestick maker....(anymore?)    :)

(edit to include)...chiropractor, masseur, gynaecologist,taxi driver, fitness coach, financial advisor, aristocracy, barber, police officer, hotel manager or journalist ....

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 07:44

Fair enough Wiga,I`m probably clutching at straws a little there in truth.What I will say is,if Mike was that fearful of "being taken for a ride" as it were.Then I don`t think he`d be married to a very beautiful younger woman.You know he`d probably be off the rails completely imo,much as he was(by his own admission) for a time in the early-mid 90`s.
Profile PM 
36 replies since June 10 2009, 12:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net