Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike talks about TB re-release on Telegraph.co.uk< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 11 2009, 08:15

Actually I'm fascinated with how some women are able to keep their men (if they want to), and others' don't succeed, no matter how beautiful they are - like some of those lovely blondes that Rod Stewart used to love and leave.

I get the impression with Fanny that it's something to do with her uniqueness and purity of heart, as well as looks - that keeps the connection alive and strong...

I better shut up before I dig myself a hole here :/

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 14:21

I guess Mike hung around and socialized with a lot of musicians in the 70s that were less famous than him, and of course they all tried to benefit from their connection to Mike. But that's just how the business works, it doesn't mean they're false friends. It seems Mike got a bit paranoid. More or less everyone that Mike has worked with had been dropped by him at one stage or another and in most cases they never heard from him again. Perhaps they all turned out to be potential bloodsuckers and careerists? People like Pierre Moerlen and Barry Palmer...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Elf Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 15:39

Perhaps they all turned out to be potential bloodsuckers and careerists? People like Pierre Moerlen and Barry Palmer...

Err... do you have any basis for such accusations against Pierre Moerlen and Barry Palmer?

I don't think Mike was thinking about musicians, but more other people who hung around when he was young and naive.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 09:11

Well frankly Pierre Moerlin was hired by Mike as he was a bloody fine drummer in his own right and i don't see that he used Mike in the slightest cos he didn't exactly become a household name did he?Mike obviously respected what Pierre could do.On the videos and DVD's Pierre is just there doing what he did in a non-showy way so i don't know how you can say that!
 Same with Barry Palmer.Good singer,Mike hired him,stopped working with him and Barry then all but disapeared.Not once have i seen him say "Well you know me and Mike were so close"etc.
 You could say the same about David Bedford,Maggie Riley,Anita Hegerland (ok a bit different as they were a couple)and any number of people he's chosen to work with.
Like the interview btw.I'm still puzzled as to why he did TB2003.Nice album but not a patch on the original and i'm still making my mind up about TB2009.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 16:27

Nice article! All of a sudden it seems Mike is all over the world, instead of the last 25 or so years living in the UK. Is it the urge to see more of the world or just the new money? ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Skeletor Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 11:07

He's lived in tons of places over the last 25 years, not just the UK. In around 1984 (Discovery time) he lived in Switzerland for a while, then in the early 1990's (TB2-ish time) he lived in Los Angeles, USA. Then of course he went to Ibiza in the mid-90s. Recently he's lived in Mallorca, Monaco and the Bahamas.

God knows if he's lived anywhere else. It might be simply money related, due to Mercury getting their hands on the Virgin albums. For instance I believe that he moved to Switzerland for tax reasons, and the move to LA was when he got a new record deal.

I don't like how the article says "Listen to Mike Oldfield's new track Family man" though   :/
Profile PM 
Ciderginaspro Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 12:27

I thought he had 7 children, not 9.
Am I wrong ??
Profile PM 
Skeletor Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 12:39

I thought it was 7 too... either bad journalism, or it's a point for 'the lawyers'...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 14:05

Quote (The Caveman @ June 12 2009, 09:11)
Well frankly Pierre Moerlin was hired by Mike as he was a bloody fine drummer in his own right and i don't see that he used Mike in the slightest cos he didn't exactly become a household name did he?Mike obviously respected what Pierre could do.On the videos and DVD's Pierre is just there doing what he did in a non-showy way so i don't know how you can say that!
 Same with Barry Palmer.Good singer,Mike hired him,stopped working with him and Barry then all but disapeared.Not once have i seen him say "Well you know me and Mike were so close"etc.
 You could say the same about David Bedford,Maggie Riley,Anita Hegerland (ok a bit different as they were a couple)and any number of people he's chosen to work with.
Like the interview btw.I'm still puzzled as to why he did TB2003.Nice album but not a patch on the original and i'm still making my mind up about TB2009.

Pierre made recordings for his own line-up of Gong in Mike's studio and had Mike guesting on guitar. Of course it helped to create interest in PM's Gong.

I got the impression that Mike didn't have many friends apart from the musicians he played with, so I assumed it was people like Pierre and Pekka Pohjola he was talking about. Pekka sold hundreds of thousands of the record Mike guested on. His other records didn't exactly bother the charts.

Of course I don't think they were bloodsuckers, but I thought perhaps Mike thought so.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 13 2009, 14:45

Quote (Skeletor @ June 13 2009, 12:39)
I thought it was 7 too... either bad journalism, or it's a point for 'the lawyers'...

Heh, yeah. Mike had three with Sally Cooper, two with Anita, and two with Fanny AFAIK. Let's hope a typo-thing!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 13 2009, 14:51

Quote (Elf @ June 11 2009, 15:39)
Perhaps they all turned out to be potential bloodsuckers and careerists? People like Pierre Moerlen and Barry Palmer...

Err... do you have any basis for such accusations against Pierre Moerlen and Barry Palmer?

I don't think Mike was thinking about musicians, but more other people who hung around when he was young and naive.

I agree. IIR it is the record companies that Mike felt taken advantage by....I think of the Morse Code section of Amarok and the feelings about Virgin Records that led up to it. I would never, ever believe for a second he meant ppl like Pierre and Barry. They collaborated. In collaborations, it is always (hopefully! ) a win-win situation. Everyone benefits. Only Mike would know about whom he is speaking, but from older interviews, I'd guess the record companies and maybe some ne'er-do-wells--but not the musicians he worked with, toured, with, etc., many repeatedly.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 18:13

Quote (Skeletor @ June 13 2009, 17:07)
He's lived in tons of places over the last 25 years, not just the UK. In around 1984 (Discovery time) he lived in Switzerland for a while, then in the early 1990's (TB2-ish time) he lived in Los Angeles, USA. Then of course he went to Ibiza in the mid-90s. Recently he's lived in Mallorca, Monaco and the Bahamas.

God knows if he's lived anywhere else. It might be simply money related, due to Mercury getting their hands on the Virgin albums. For instance I believe that he moved to Switzerland for tax reasons, and the move to LA was when he got a new record deal.

I don't like how the article says "Listen to Mike Oldfield's new track Family man" though   :/

I know that! ;) He also lived in France for a while by the way. But what I meant was that his basis was always the UK. He never lived more than two years or so in a foreign country, and then returned. His brother Terry is also someone who now lives quite a while in Australia, far away from the "roots".

The "new" family man track is also is mystery for me. He didn't remaster it already either, did he?

As for old friends: what Mike says in the interview is kinda said, that he hasn't got any friends. I think it's a shame he never (at least, I think so) sees his older friends like David Bedford, Tom Newman, Kevin Ayers etc. I think they more or less grown away from each other.

Also: I can tell you for sure that Pierre Moerlen (rest his soul) and Barry Palmer are certainly not bloodsuckers! Pierre was such a fantastic musician, and he certainly didn't need Mike for his career. I once met Barry Palmer in 1999, and he's such a nice guy, doing his own business in music now.

I think the people who worked for Virgin in the 80's and 90's were bloodsuckers.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 18:42

Quote (wiga @ June 11 2009, 09:15)
I get the impression with Fanny that it's something to do with her uniqueness and purity of heart, as well as looks - that keeps the connection alive and strong...

Once I've read an interview that Mike described her as "a very intelligent woman" rather than saying something regarding her physical look. And for me,that makes the difference on their relationship,they've been together for about 10 years(married for 6),which is quite an achievement for Mike in terms of relationship.

About the interview itself,I did enjoy a lot really,and spent a few days thinking about the Mike that is shown there.

-"No friends,just lawers":
I think that it's quite irritating when you have a friendship with someone and then it starts to be a parasite relationship where there's only one way,and that's harmful somewhat to you. But it's quite sad when you discover it,because you've believed that it was a real friendship...

When you experience a lot of those type of "friendships",you tend to be way too careful 'til the person proofs the opposite.Or you'll never "trust" and prefer not to have any friends at all,which can be a real problem.

On Changeling Mike has already discussed the subject on "On Fame" chapter,so it's nothing new to me,but I don't think we have to take it seriously at all.Maybe he misses a friendship where people are interested on his person,not just because he's Mike Oldfield and get advantages(negative for Mike) since you're his friend.

Back to TB remix,I think that he has finally made peace with the original one,and he's proud of it.The whole process has started while he was working on Changeling,which is something that I think has made a lot of difference on his life after that,really.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 08:47

To be honest Pierre Moerlin was doing perfectly ok in his career and  the creation of Pierre Moerlin's Gong had nothing to do with Mike.If you check out the cover of Downwind you will see that only one track (the title track) was recorded at Througham. 3 of the 4 players from Gong on the track (Pierre and Benoit Moerlin and Hansford Rowe)were in Mike's touring band at the time anyway-see Knebworth- and Mike only plays bass and bodrhan in the middle bit and then lead guitar from the middle onward.The fact that they used Mike's studio probably has more to do with the fact that they worked together in the studio and on tour and may well have been there to record one of Mike's pieces.From his work with David Bedford ,who was surely a greater beneficiary of Mike's success than Pierre,it's clear that Mike prefered to use his own studio.The album also features Mick Taylor and Steve Winwood as well as Mike and with equal billing.
 As for Pekka,he was once again in Mike's 1979 tour band and was well known in his native Finland as a gifted bassist.With his own skills as a bassist it's doubtfull Oldfield would have hired him if he hadn't been exceprionaly talented.
 I get the ompression that if anyone was hanging on and leaching then it would have been the record company and specifically Virgin.He took Branson to court twice over royalties.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
DCDayDreamer Offline

Posted: June 20 2009, 13:35

Mike Oldfield is just like any other artistic genius, throughout history, they have all had some sort of mental instability. It's about time he just got on with life and stopped trying to reinvent the wheel with repetitive rehashes of Tubular Bells, surely by now he must realize he's never again going to achieve such an impact with his music.

£3 million boat, young wife, two beautiful sons, take a look around you and stop whining about the past.

It seems like he's stuck in some sort of a life-cycle hamster wheel:
Make Tubular Bells, get married, have children, get depressed - repeat.

"Recently I was trying to work out exactly what punk is"

Recently?, you missed the party Mike, get over it!.
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: July 03 2009, 13:06

He seems pretty content with life, maybe some of the demons never truly go away but it's pleasing he's enjoying himself and is proud of Tubular Bells.

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 11 2009, 04:28)
It`s an interesting thing,but because Mike started out so young he`s actualy younger himself than a lot of those original punk guys anyway.He`s certainly in the same age bracket at the very least.Anyway it`s nice to see Mike`s views on punk mellowing somewhat.Sounds to me like he`s seen a couple of those Country Life commercials.

I found it interesting too that he seems more at ease with the punk thing. Weird thing is, he and John Lydon have a few things in common - Irish ancestry, troubled early lives, roughly the same age. I'd never seen that butter advert before, made me chuckle a lot.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 03 2009, 20:57

Yeah I think since Lydon started doing those ads,Country Life sales figures went up by a whopping 85%.Which probably goes to show that Mike`s recent held view of Lydon as this "ageing English eccentric" or whatever.Is to a certain extent held by a majority of the population here as well.Meanwhile all of your so called hardcore punk/anarchist wannabe`s who are all so up in arms about it all.Somehow fail to see the fact that Lydon has always loved sticking it to the anti-establishment almost as much as the establishment.Whilst at the same time I guess.Earning himself a small fortune for pretty much next to nothing it has to be said...You could almost say he was practicaly living off his former glories in fact...Empathy is a wonderful thing!  ;)
Profile PM 
36 replies since June 10 2009, 12:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net