Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 05 2008, 23:38

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ddVBGVI_hgA
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 14:54

I love watching this. If Mike weren't so nonchalant about it, I'd be thinking 'You show-off.'

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 17:32

What time is this from? Judging from Mike's hairstyle and face, it looks like something from the 1980s... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 17:48

It would be nice to have somewhere chronological photos of our hero. Perhaps in the column on the right of the Biography page, a little bit like the ticket stubs in the Tours page.
Profile PM 
Brewer Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 11:06

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 06 2008, 22:32)
What time is this from? Judging from Mike's hairstyle and face, it looks like something from the 1980s... :)

This is from the Knebworth Festival video summer 1981. Seen this concert in Macroom Ireland same year, excelent.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 12:35

Quote (Brewer @ Mar. 26 2008, 13:06)
Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 06 2008, 22:32)

This is from the Knebworth Festival video summer 1981. Seen this concert in Macroom Ireland same year, excelent.

Summer 1980...have just checked it at Dark Star's Tourography.

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 06 2008, 19:48)
It would be nice to have somewhere chronological photos of our hero. Perhaps in the column on the right of the Biography page, a little bit like the ticket stubs in the Tours page.

I did a similar thing on my MO site on its logo,from left to right, from the 70's up to 00's:
http://www.mikeoldfieldbrasil.blogger.com.br/mikeoldfield5anosar8.jpg

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 08:19

I love his comment at the end "I can do it with any guitar" ;)
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 06:55

Mike can use his technique on any guitar, clever man! I swear I will never be able to do that...I have enough trouble picking for classical and flamenco...at a third of the speed Mike can! He actually enjoyed the Knebworth Festival. I can turn a blind eye to the mullet cut just cause he was such a dish! Deb
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 08:06

Lol, who else thinks its about time for a proper release for the Knebworth show? It's often stated as one of his best shows.
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 10:27

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Jan. 08 2010, 13:06)
Lol, who else thinks its about time for a proper release for the Knebworth show? It's often stated as one of his best shows.

It's a shame that it hasn't been released on DVD yest! :(

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2010, 19:25

Olivier, on behalf of all MO devotees is it possible to get Mike to release a DVD of Knebworth while we wait for our "wizard of a thousand overdubs" to dazzle us with his next project? Please? Pretty please? LOL! Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 07:18

Damn right!The sound quality on my VHS copy is getting a bit muffled due to over use!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 13:34

I originally got that show(and commentary) as a rental of a japanese VHS tape rented in 1987. It was so cool at the time. The quality of that vid is about the same as what's on the internet now, a VHS rip.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2010, 07:31

just watched this for the hell of it.I can almost play the little thing he plays but i get lost when he speeds up."I can do it on any guitar"?I wish!And even then i need to use a pick cos i can't finger pick that fast.How does he get his nails that strong?Mine shred if i finger pick on electric.I know he uses very very light guage strings.8 guage i believe which is a lot lighter than i use as i break lighter strings like straw!

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2010, 03:26

I never take anything at "Face Value"-Phil Collins tie-in. Even in your 20's you'd either need a shit-load of calcium supplements to have nails strong enough to stand the strain or have glue-on nails. Simple physics and human anatomy. Just so many foot-pounds of pressure are available in any nail(or anatomical structure). Plus the sheer number of "strikes" used. With so many thousands of finger strikes used by MO in that time, I'm sure he found augments. Not to impune his work in any way, no. But at the least, meticulous manicure with some high tech for the era strengthening polish. Simple nails would shred onstage at a crucial moment(embarrasing if you lost the birdie nail). Just looking at reality. I'm pushing 49, have taken many courses including Physics and Anatomy, and can tell you....no human fingernail no matter how young and healthy, could stand up to that without a lot of help. Even with light guage strings. It's cool tho. He tipped his manicurists well. I talked with an Asian middle aged female in 2002 while (whilst you all say) my GF was getting her nails done. She told me she lived in Europe for a time in the mid 80's, did his nails several times before gigs. Used a high tech polyurethane treatment on top and slightly under his nails. You're not buying any of this are you?
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2010, 06:56

LOL Jim! Mike's finger nails are in better shape than mine! Wish I could grow them that long and keep them that way. Wonder what he did to stop them shredding. Picking on classical destroys my nails in one session. He still has nice nails (photo, Bahamas, October 2009). Maybe he still picks occasionally. It would be hard to put the guitar away long term I would think. The Queen has her handbag, Mike has his guitar. Deb
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2010, 06:56

LOL Jim! Mike's finger nails are in better shape than mine! Wish I could grow them that long and keep them that way. Wonder what he did to stop them shredding. Picking on classical destroys my nails in one session. He still has nice nails (photo, Bahamas, October 2009). Maybe he still picks occasionally. It would be hard to put the guitar away long term I would think. The Queen has her handbag, Mike has his guitar. Deb
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 16 2010, 08:29

...but the size of his nails is not the same like in the past...still long,but not that long...at least he still can play guitars \o/

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 09:58

That's true.I was watching Live In Monreux last night and back then they were really long.And he really did hammer the strings back then too.His attack would completely bugger my nails instantly.I use a heavy pick (1mm which is like a bass pick)and when i finger pick it is by neccesity much lighter in the attack.Anyone have any idea what i can do to stop them breaking?I've heard things like soaking them in olive oil would help.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 23:10

Hi Caveman, I have found a couple of things to keep your nails from splitting. Gelatine capsules from a health store are good for strengthening the nails. A product called Seacret, Minerals from the Dead Sea really helps my nails. Should be able to get it at most upmarket shops. I love folk guitar pieces and it is much gentler on the nails, picking. Found a CD by Terry Oldfield called All The Rivers Gold, really beautiful Celtic music. Talent runs in the family. Terry plays the flute and pipe music, David Pash on folk guitar, mandolin. The Traditional Irish Blessing is one track with haunting lyrics. Terry dedicated the album to" a raven haired Irish lass" Maureen, Mike and Terry's mum. Now I know how deep their Irish heritage goes. Give it a listen, I think Voyager, HR are similar. Deb
Profile PM 
20 replies since Mar. 05 2008, 23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net