[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike selects the new Euphonix 5-MC mixer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bobby_F Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 20 2006, 10:08

Think this is FAB news!!!

To those who say 5.1 mixes are without merit, all I can say is you just haven't heard the right ones - or heard them on a good and properly set up system.

Sure, a 5.1 mix can be done poorly (and the TB2003 one sadly isn't that great), but done properly it can totally transform an album.

Rumours and Dark Side of the Moon - two albums I've listened to 1,000s of times - sound so much better in 5.1.

And yeah, the thought of hearing Ommadawn, Amarok, Incantations, SoDE in 5.1 ---- oh, weak at the knees!!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 20 2006, 19:21

Thanks Blue Dolphin for your answers re Sutton Hoo and the Ommadawn 45 :D .

Do you need any special equipment to  get 5.1 sound :/ ?   I'm using a Cambridge Audio "Azur 340A" and a pair of Mission 732 speakers.  Did try playing my TB2003 DVD audio in 5.1,but got no sound,my DVD player is at the cheaper end of the market,(I was bought it as a present).   I assume 5.1 is the modern day equivilant of what "Quadrophonic" was in the 70's.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 21 2006, 04:21

Not sure about the 5.1 System basically cause ive never heard one in action.... Main drawback is setting a room aside
to set it up properly i guess....  A Stereo System still sounds
Fine to me... Messing with the Graphic Equaliser seems to
give me plenty to keep occupied with as it stands anyway,,,
I guess a lot of Games and Films benefit from 5.1 more so than music with the bass rumble effects i would imagine..Anyone ever seen a Film in Sensurround at the Cinema.. That was quite Cool!! I saw Rollercoaster and you
had this amazing feeling of being shaken in your chair..
how does a 3.1 stack up to a 5.1   much diff or have u got to have the 6 speakers to play the disc properly ??
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: July 21 2006, 04:46

Well, moonchild, I'm afraid for 5.1 sound you will also need 5.1 Speakers, i.e. left, center, right, rear left, rear right plus subwoofer - plus an amplifier/receiver to drive them (which are usually marketed as 'home cinema' equipment).
While almost any DVD player should be able to send the different digital multi-channel audio of movie (including concert/msuic clips) DVDs to the 5.1 amplifier, you will need a special player to decode the high-resolution, multi-channel audio of Super-Audio CDs (SACD) and DVD-Audio discs.
Since the battle  between these two formats semms to be still going on (and from Mike, we currently have TB I on SACD and TB2003 on DVD-Audio), you will probably want one of the few players that can handle both formats (looks like Mercury records prefer SACD).

Well, 5.1 is really lots more about than just 'rumble' - as in  good old 'sensurround'. Main point of the subwoofer is that with 5 'localization' speakers, you won't wat each of them to provide the full bass range (mostly for size reasons), so the lower frequencies are routed to the .1 subwoofer channel, which I personally prefer to adjust to be just noticable, but far away from room-shaking.
With a proper 5-channel mix, the rear speakers definitely _DO_ make a difference - even, as others have stated here already, the mix of TB2003 is a bit 'overdone'.

Too bad that just my kids managed to toast the amplifier of my subwoofer and now I have to look for a replacement :/
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 21 2006, 13:44

If you want a 5.1 system you can now pick one up reletively cheaply. Sony, who are always fairly reliable in terms of price versus quality, will sell you everyting you need for about £250, which isn't to bad. You can even find stuff chaper than that but i'm not sure I'd trust it.
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: July 24 2006, 18:08

This is exciting news to me.  Few month ago I did buy Jarre's AERO album which is also 5.1 and that is really something special.  The difference is that Jarre re-played whole thing again giving new soul to the old pieces and adding few new.  I'm not sure if Mike would do the same.

As someone pointed out, working on old catalog and getting "human touch" again may result perhaps in new material that will be probably great.  While Bells were 3, I'm still waiting for 3rd successor of Omadawn-Amarok saga.  It might not happen now, but I hope to see it in next few years (unless something like Tubular Bells IV will happen - wouldn't love that as I think Mike did say everything on that subject).
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 25 2006, 06:36

I was thinking....

If Mike is releasing that 5.1 surround mix of Ommadawn, wouldn't it be great if he released some rare material included with the DVD?? I mean, we've got that great "Making of Ommadawn" video from 1976 which is very rare, but can be seen on Google video (not very good quality though). Maybe some there is some more footage, or pictures perhaps.

I mean, this is a golden opportunity for it!! Mike: don't miss that chance!!!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 25 2006, 07:10

agree, totally on that!
would be so nice....

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 25 2006, 07:27

Quote (Bastian @ July 18 2006, 12:48)
These are very exciting news! :-) And I look forward to the new album and to surround remixes of his older albums. Surround sound can give so much more depth to music. :-)

Hi Bastian,

What is that picture in your avatar supposed to be and do you call yourself Bastian after the boy in the Never Ending Story? I loved that movie, esp the first one. I read that the young Bastian from the second movie became depressed after 'Sea Quest DMV' or whatever it was called, folded when he was around 16. He committed suicide.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 25 2006, 08:39

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ July 25 2006, 12:36)
I was thinking....

If Mike is releasing that 5.1 surround mix of Ommadawn, wouldn't it be great if he released some rare material included with the DVD?? I mean, we've got that great "Making of Ommadawn" video from 1976 which is very rare, but can be seen on Google video (not very good quality though). Maybe some there is some more footage, or pictures perhaps.

I mean, this is a golden opportunity for it!! Mike: don't miss that chance!!!

Yeah! Ommadawn Take One - the first recording of Ommadawn that had to be scrapped due to tape hiss and dropouts. I wonder if the very first master still exists.  :O
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 25 2006, 13:18

Quote (manintherain @ July 25 2006, 14:39)
Yeah! Ommadawn Take One - the first recording of Ommadawn that had to be scrapped due to tape hiss and dropouts. I wonder if the very first master still exists.  :O

Well, if it was only a tape hiss and dropouts! The tape is probably completely destroyed. In the words of Mike: "the tape turned completely into dust".

Mike was making so many overdubs the tape couldn't handle it anymore. Hence the second recordings were made on thicker material. But Mike says he's more pleased with the second recording.

But maybe... just maybe there excist some snippets of the first recording. But you can still hear some excerpts on that "Reflection" (1976) documentary. Now if THAT was released on DVD...!!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 12:25

i'm not sure i'm hugely convinced by the idea of 5.1 music but if there was one album by Mike that was surely crying out for a 5.1 treatment it must be Amarok. The original mix of the album by Tom Newman and Mike almost tries to create a surround sound mix through stereo. I mean  if listen to it through head phones the sounds just go everywhere.

If Mike learn't from his mistakes with the TB2003 5.1 mix and did a really good one for Amarok he could actually give the album a second lease of life, certainly if were packaged and promoted well.

A 5.1 mix of Ommadawn wouldn't have rushing to my hi-fi store to purchase a new stereo. A 5.1 mix of Amarok almost certainly would.
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2006, 13:34

The idea with DVD-A and SACD is not only about the "5.1" technology. You can also put in stereo tracks on it that will contain more information and sound so much better, warmer and more detailed than any sharp, hard and cold shitty CD does...in stereo only!

I like TB 2003 in 5.1 where the caveman tries to scare me from every corner of my living room.  :D
It's allmost like if Amarok and T.S.O.D.E. were made for this purpose...but I don't think it will happen.
You can allways dream about it.  :p

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2007, 08:32

Does anyone have an update on the 5.1 re-mixes ?
I've got the SACD of TB1 and it's very good. I've also got the 2003 dvd-a and the best bit is the original demos.
Profile PM 
33 replies since July 17 2006, 20:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net