[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike really doesn't like...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Priabonia Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 11:19

...Incantations does he?

Listening to the BBC Radio 6 programme ("The First Time With...") kindly spotted by Korgscrew, he says at around 48" "[after Ommadawn] ... I was pressured into working again, and I made, hmm, Incantations, which is not my favourite album at all"

For non-native English speakers, this is basically him saying it's his *least* favourite album! Why, I wonder, as by any objective standard it is a classic, and by the subjective standards of his fans it is right up in the top two or three?!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
mvm Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 12:42

I don't know because even for me is a masterpiece (even if a little hmmm too long in some parts of the album, but in general is memorable), maybe it's related to the pressures he speaks about, and the fact he was forced to realize it...
However even Hergest Ridge doesn't seem to be his favorite and it's one of most loved...

--------------
Hey and away we go
Through the grass, across the snow
Big brown beastie, big brown face
I'd rather be with you than flying through space.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 01:16

The guy has no idea.

Incantations is gold. Mike should make more music he doesn't like.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 04:16

uhm i don't like it much either ^^
Profile PM 
pauly Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 04:57

It's not my favourite either. That's not to say it's a bad album but it's a bit too drawn out and complex for me.
I've tried many times over the years to appreciate this album more but it has never really grown on me.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 07:20

Reminds me of what Pierre Moerlen said about it in this interview:

Q: Which is your favourite Mike Oldfield piece on which you have played?

A: I automatically think about 'Incantations', - the vibes on side four.

Q: That is my favourite piece also!

A: I love that piece, the whole album actually. I know Mike doesn't like it very much, because it's for him a bad... period. I don't think it has much to do with the music itself, it is this period of time - he wants to erase it! It's too late!
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 17:34

I have a theory...possibly controversial. I think at the time (1977/78), Mike was so uninterested (or lacking in ideas?) that his then close friend David Bedford picked up a lot of the slack, and actually contributed far more than he is given credit for (I think only "arranging" the strings, without checking the album cover). There are whole sections which have little of Mike on them (Part Two for example) and could have been written and produced by David with Mike making his contribution in flying visits "back home".

Maybe Mike felt (still feels?) dare I say "Guilty" about the episode...and having never given David sufficient credit? Sadly we can no longer ask the latter...

--------------

Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2017, 05:01

Quote (Priabonia @ Jan. 24 2017, 17:34)
I have a theory...possibly controversial. I think at the time (1977/78), Mike was so uninterested (or lacking in ideas?) that his then close friend David Bedford picked up a lot of the slack, and actually contributed far more than he is given credit for (I think only "arranging" the strings, without checking the album cover). There are whole sections which have little of Mike on them (Part Two for example) and could have been written and produced by David with Mike making his contribution in flying visits "back home".

Maybe Mike felt (still feels?) dare I say "Guilty" about the episode...and having never given David sufficient credit? Sadly we can no longer ask the latter...

that's a lot of speculation...why would you come up with that :P

I think it's 100% mike, just trying out new stuff like always
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2017, 16:47

Quote (Jesse @ Jan. 25 2017, 10:01)
that's a lot of speculation...why would you come up with that

Well, there's this for a start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmCqhb0vMU

This dates from January 1972...I don't think Mike wrote that opening when he was 19?

--------------

Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2017, 02:30

I don't think it's 100% Mike.

The theory has a lot of merit in my opinion. Spookily Incantations in that opening.

Mike admitted in that terrible autobiography that there was at least one other occasion in the not distant future where he was stuck for ideas and relying on his band's input to complete an album. I can't bear to open it again to check the details.

Reckon Tim Cross wrote a chunk of Orabidoo. Ireland's Eye was largely Rick Fenn and Maggie Riley. Pretty sure he had to ask Carl Palmer if he could use Mt.Teide to fill up the rest of Five Miles Out.
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 09 2017, 06:42

In my opinion, "Incantations" is Oldfield's masterpiece, by far. I am in no doubt, though, that he had much help with the composition, beyond mere arrangement, especially on side 1. The usage and development of the main motif, E–B–A–E–D–A–G—D, which is the base of so much in "Incantations", show the skill of someone trained in classical composition.

It is also worth noting the similarities to Steve Reich's "Music for 18 musicians" (1976). The odd-metre, ever-repeating staccato quavers, the mini-orchestra, the important roles of the vibraphone and marimba, the general mood. I am in no way implying plagiarism nor derivativeness, but I bet Oldfield listened carefully to Reich's groundbreaking piece of music.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2017, 05:23

I love it to bits, but thinking in "objective terms":

It's very well composed and produced. Some of Mike's early work relies on dark, brooding, murky, diffuse passages and effect as well as some novelty passages (especially in the case of TB). Incantations has clarity and straight-forwardness. Not one detail is buried in the mix or hidden behind a blur of guitar overdubs.

The melodic content is a bit limited. Where Ommadawn is based on small, emotive, folksong-like motifs, Incantations sounds as it was composed through a more intellectual process; "Let's use these notes, how many variations can I do with them?"[I]. More like that. The melodies don't stick right away, but they grow on you and has a flow that makes you want to keep listening. The composer doesn't worry about the sections and motifs wearing out their welcome. This came later, starting with Platinum. Music that aims to entertain, that is restless. That bursts into something new after a minute or two. This became Mike's modus operandi after Incantations, culminating with Amarok - an album shock-full of surprises. In a way TSODE was return to Incantations (not in a good way, but still...).

Objectively I think Incantations is one of Mike's best albums. It's well realized composition. More like a painting than a piece of music. Like the long section with the guitar solo in part 3 - it just flows and you just forget that there is another of section coming up.

As a Mike Oldfield record it's a one-off. There is a classical minimalist influence, which is very far from where Mike it at normally. He's a...maximalist?

:laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2017, 10:50

Good debate all, I thought it had gone quiet. Since posting I also found this (there was an old reference to it from someone on this very forum):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhCgtCH9H7s

Listen around 4'40" onwards

This was released in 1971, Mike was 18...

I agree absolutely about Reich's "18 Musicians"

--------------

Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2017, 10:52

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 10 2017, 10:23)
Incantations has clarity and straight-forwardness. Not one detail is buried in the mix or hidden behind a blur of guitar overdubs.

Not *strictly* true...have a listen to the guitar solo section of Part Three (i.e. the marimba bit, before the guitar itself comes in). I might post some filtered/slowed down/Mid/Sides files if I have a minute, but there's actually a lot going on in that section than immediately meets the ear (there is a subtle guitar arpeggio, and the bass is widdling away merrily in the background too)

--------------

Profile PM 
TubularRidgeDawn Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2017, 19:57

I love Incantations, and I think it is one of Mike's masterpieces. Mike Oldfield has always loved to experiment with music, a lot like the classical masters, and this is quite an experimental piece. Very classically structured and composed, and although quite repetitive in places it is full and round, and beautiful. Like Hergest Ridge, another masterpiece with classical vibes,  maybe he was pressured to make Incantations and it was not a good time for him, that's why he dosen't like it so much, but the pressure seemed to have brought the best out in him.

--------------
En yab na log a toc na awd
taw may on ommadawn egg kyowl
ommadawn egg kyowl
Profile PM 
Liquid Friend Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2019, 05:37

Quote (Priabonia @ Jan. 25 2017, 22:47)
Well, there's this for a start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmCqhb0vMU

This dates from January 1972...I don't think Mike wrote that opening when he was 19?

Well spotted, Priabonia, both your YT-links. Very interesting.

--------------
Watch out for snakes!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2019, 06:25

It's probably like Bach's music: the more musical theory you know the more you're likely to get out of it. Somewhere along the line, though, I suspect musical theory goes wildly wrong, because its logical development has led to the likes of Stockhausen. And even though I quite like Stockhausen's Sirius, I find most of the music of his that I have heard noisy and dull. (It might not even be "somewhere along the line"; it may simply be a slippery slope, like trying to decide a baby becomes a child.)
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2019, 19:13

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 16 2019, 06:25)
the more musical theory you know the more you're likely to get out of it

Really? I thought musical theory (and theories in general) follow experience.

You don't need to know musical theory to enjoy good music. (Or, do you need not to know? :laugh: )

The experience of music can only be poorly described in words.

Incantations is the most difficult work of MO, the most outworldy, I think. Much different than anything else he has done, even the first instrumental albums. The reason he doesn't like it is because he had an awful time back then.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 27 2019, 07:25

It was around this time that Mike did Exegesis wasn't it?

That's quite a traumatic thing to put yourself through; working with the music so intensely during that time, then spending time touring it at some length and playing it every night must have really tied it in to that time mentally for him.

So I do think it's more the other stuff happening in his life at that time and not the music itself.
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2020, 18:14

incantations is fiendishly difficult, based on the circle of fifths. it's entirely possible that this sprang out of oldfield's head simply by virtue of his having heard and - consciously or not -analyzed it, developing it by sheer experimentation and repetition.

this is a very strictly mathematical work that is given a lot of life by the ornamentation especially of the flutes at the beginning. yes, hiawatha is long but i dare anyone who thinks it is too long or too monotonous to sit still during gavin bryars' "jesus's blood".

for myself i quite like it. during preparations for a failed project i listened many times to it, on earphone. i can tell you every glitch and squawk - but they do not detract. it is pointless to overwork something to the point of technical perfection if it drubs the life out of it.
Profile PM 
29 replies since Jan. 23 2017, 11:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net