[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike possibly featuring on Yorks new album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 16:13

Quote (Matt @ Aug. 17 2011, 09:37)
Another comment on facebook suggests that "Mikes latest music video" has already been shot by a film company called Moist Creation. The comment seems to be by one of the film directors at that company so maybe he was involved in making it? He seemed to like it anyway, assuming he was talking about a track involving Mike and assuming I'm understanding 21-century-speak correctly: "I heard one of the new tracks, its sick ^_^"

Edit: Moist creation seem to have done other work for Mike :D

Looking at the image posted by Moist Creations - I wonder how Mike has managed to get a trademark for the word "Guilty"?

See the TM symbol on that image? Or is it just a little joke thrown in by Moist creations?

Any hoo - back to the collaborations, I think Mike likes the idea of putting some guitar solos down, enjoying himself in the studio but letting someone else do all the other hard work like building the track, mixing and promoting it afterwards.

Which is cool. It takes a lot of hard work to be lazy  ;)

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 16:57

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 17 2011, 21:13)
Any hoo - back to the collaborations, I think Mike likes the idea of putting some guitar solos down, enjoying himself in the studio but letting someone else do all the other hard work like building the track, mixing and promoting it afterwards.

Which is cool. It takes a lot of hard work to be lazy  ;)

True.

That's fair enough.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2011, 03:33

Having just listened to the incredible Incantations (3) solo, played by Michael Stanton - it's easy to see why some might be disappointed with a chillout tune.

I'm more than happy with it though - it's another dimension to Mike. We've had the angst ridden stuff, and I can't see that coming back - it would be disingenuous to force it. The demons have gone. That's good. But no more powerful guitar solos - probably.

--------------
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2011, 05:00

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 20 2011, 09:33)
But no more powerful guitar solos - probably.

;) ..and No Man's Land reprise solo ...??? Is it b.....t ?  It's in a Chill Out album anyway !:p  :D
Profile PM 
fragile Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2011, 06:20

Quote (Olivier @ Aug. 16 2011, 21:05)
Sounds like Mike's way to make us realize L&S is not that bad.  :/

I much prefer this style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgF99zTv6nY

Good taste, Oliver.
I like Eno´s ON LAND. Probably his best Album. Also his last release "Drums beween the bells" is not bad at all.

Mikes saying: "If people go one way I instinctively go the other" (recent Interview) is not true. Many of his Albums and collaborations are hardly commercial influenced. There is really nothing Off The Beaten Track for the last 15 years (or maybe longer)...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2011, 15:03

It'll be interesting to hear what it sounds like. I've not heard tons of stuff by York but what I have heard over the years is very middle of the road Euro trance/house music. There's not much substance to it. Quite cheesy.
I've often thought Mike could do really good interesting dance music if he teamed up with the right person. Its funny that out of all the artists of Mike's generation the one who has really made it in dance music and is hugely respected amongst younger artists is Steve Hillage. Maybe Mike and Steve should do something together?

This is gorgeous. Steve Hillage rocking it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4U7B_ctnJM
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2011, 19:11

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 21 2011, 20:03)
I've often thought Mike could do really good interesting dance music if he teamed up with the right person. Its funny that out of all the artists of Mike's generation the one who has really made it in dance music and is hugely respected amongst younger artists is Steve Hillage. Maybe Mike and Steve should so something together?

I do agree.Saw System 7 last year live in London and their approach to electronic music seems a good try for Mike rather than this cheesy-trance from York.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2011, 21:14

Is there any connection between System 7 and Project System 12?
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2011, 04:20

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 22 2011, 04:14)
Is there any connection between System 7 and Project System 12?

NOW THAT WOULD BE AN INTERESTING!!!CONN3CTION
Proj3ct Syst3m 12, p3rhaps one should go on a mystical journey & see
         OjO
          un
           O (+3)...

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2011, 07:07

No connectiion with Project System 12 as far as I know. System 7 work under the alias Mirror System for their more downtempo and  chilled out music. I think they've only got one album, it's worth checking out.

Don't want to derail the thread too much but since we're talking about Steve Hillage I found this interesting interview with him where he talks about working with Mike and touring with Tubular Bells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...._player
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2011, 08:14

Insert thought balloon for Steve Hillage: "I'm going to take that guy's baseball cap".
Captain Sib's thought balloon: "You bloody well aren't!"

:laugh:
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 14 2011, 04:52

Another tiny crumb of information. Interview with Torsten Stenzelm, one of the York brothers, on Czech fan website for Winter Storm. From a response about people Torsten has been working with: "Mike Oldfield – cool-ass genius (we’ve worked together a lot)".

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 10 2011, 06:01

A slightly bigger crumb...

Another interview with Torsten Stenzel of York here

For me this new way of making music is great, no matter if I am working with my brother on York or with Mike Oldfield on various projects. His studio is at the Bahamas, I am sitting on an island 500 miles south. He sends me the files, we skype, work on it together - I change it and send it back, it's incredible.

and
Well, like is said before I am working with Mike Oldfield on his Remix album that will be released 2012. He's got all of his masters back from virgin, it's very exciting because he also was one of my heroes and tracks like "Tubular Bells" are classics. We were neighbors in Ibiza already and a couple of years ago we both moved to the Caribbean area. I am also planning to work with him on a movie score.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 10 2011, 10:17

I can imagine some of us here thinking about this new bits of info on Mike's current works  :D

...at least he's still working,but on his own pace.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2011, 10:26

:O on a movie score ?

Mike had said by the past that he no longer would make any soundtracks again after the "bad" experience with The killing Fields .....
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 11 2011, 07:15

Torsten's on Twitter @ https://twitter.com/Yorkmusic1

"Music Producer for/with Mike Oldfield - York - All Saints - Tarja Turunen - Marla Maples - Tiffany Trump - Moby - Faithless - Armada Music - Justin Nation"

This has made me laugh really.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2011, 10:58

:p Yeah ..something like if Mike would really need a music producer to make his own music ?
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2011, 11:02

:p ..that makes nice on Torsten's business card ! ...
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 11 2011, 15:48

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Oct. 11 2011, 15:58)
:p Yeah ..something like if Mike would really need a music producer to make his own music ?

That's the point! This York bloke is sooo excited that he's been working with one of his personal heroes that he's a bit over the top!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2011, 15:58

Quote (Matt @ Oct. 10 2011, 11:01)
His studio is at the Bahamas, I am sitting on an island 500 miles south. He sends me the files, we skype, work on it together - I change it and send it back, it's incredible.

Torsten is a very lucky guy - and I think he knows it!! :O

--------------
Profile PM 
66 replies since Aug. 16 2011, 12:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net