Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Playing at 2011 Glastonbury Music Festival?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 31 2011, 18:43

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 31 2011, 19:32)
If so I hope there are other UK Concert Dates !!

Now we're talking!

If is it true this story,I can't make it. But a proper UK tour,who knows...if my PhD allows me to do it so!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2011, 19:17

Quote (HR lover @ Mar. 31 2011, 15:55)
If this is a joke it's definitely a very sick joke. I really hope it's not a joke!  What will MO be playing then? TB? some of his earlier works? or maybe Incantations for the upcoming reissue? Or will it be the telecaster project? although I'd doubt the telecaster project. Some information on that whatsoever?

Doesn't look like a joke, sounds legit. Although that doesn't mean to say Mike might not back out of it. I remember in the early nineties it was announced he was going to play with the Chietans at one of their anniversary gigs but he didn't do it in the end.
Going by the idea of the show it sounds much more like quite a rough and ready musical jam sort of idea involving a lot of old friends. You may find Mike doesn't actually play any of his own music at all. To be honest I can't imagine anthing better. Not because I don't want to see Mike play any of his own music but because it would just be so great to see him do something quite lo-fi and impromptu back on his native soil surrounded by old friends. I've always loved MO the musician over and above all the other elements that have quite often over shadowed his career. It would nice to see him return to that, even briefly on stage.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2011, 19:31

Having looked at the web links, this appears to be a rumour, but one with legs. Only problem is I never fancied the idea of a tent surrounded by drunk/drugged people and huge queues for the loo. But glasto is an experience like no other $195 is relatively cheap with neae 1000 acts to choose from.
But I still doubt Mike would show unless Fanny wants free entry for her and the kids and her mum
1971 stage is the idea - who should have been the line uo back in the 1st year. Mike was a kid genius session player then, so Tati may be correct that he'll just be guitarist in a band?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2011, 19:42

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 31 2011, 19:31)
Having looked at the web links, this appears to be a rumour, but one with legs. Only problem is I never fancied the idea of a tent surrounded by drunk/drugged people and huge queues for the loo.

Possibly true and I know you can't believe everything you read on the interweb but the efestivals site says...
'Mike Oldfield, Steve Hillage, Arthur Brown, Nick Lowe, Noel Harrison and The Edgar Broughton Band have been booked'

Hope its true.

As to your last sentence. If you can't beat them, join em  ;)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 01 2011, 02:24

I find it a very odd place for Mike to play. He's not into that sort of big festivals IMHO. So I'm wondering if this is all true, but time will tell. ;)

It's also a very big coincidence that I will be in the UK at that time for my honeymoon!  :D

Alas, no tickets though. But I'm still wondering if Mike will come all the way from the Bahama's just to play there.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 01 2011, 02:50

Quote (HR lover @ Mar. 31 2011, 14:41)
I'm so going. This might be my last chance to see the creator himself  :)  

Why, you're not ill, are you, HR? I know you have some rather unpleasant ailments in Holland, like Dutch Elm Disease. Very bad if you've got a wood  :O  :laugh:
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 01 2011, 04:54

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ April 01 2011, 07:24)
I find it a very odd place for Mike to play. He's not into that sort of big festivals IMHO.

I should imagine it gets a bit boring in the Bahamas and he probably can't wait to have a jamming session with old mates or ANYBODY who can play decent.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: April 01 2011, 10:13

What? Sorry ns your jokes are just too subtle for me. Trees get Dutch Elm disease right? And do you mean with wood what I think you mean? Still can't put the pieces together.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 01 2011, 11:09

Quote (HR lover @ April 01 2011, 10:13)
What? Sorry ns your jokes are just too subtle for me. Trees get Dutch Elm disease right? And do you mean with wood what I think you mean? Still can't put the pieces together.

That's OK, HR. Speaking of woods, I like your poetry quotation. I like poets of that vintage best too, fashionable though it is not to. Tennyson, Keats, Shelley, Byron - no one has surpassed them in over 100 years, in my opinion. There are lines in Brownng's "Caleban Upon Setebos" that capture with perfect word sound a fish trying to swim upstream.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 01 2011, 13:12

See update to original post news item - looks like it might not be happening :/

Note this *wasn't* a tubular.net April fool.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: April 01 2011, 14:17

Well, I thought this was hard to believe in the first place... Just didn't want to get my hopes up, but look at the bright side : they  are not saying that Mike won't tour at all in the near future either.... ;-)
Profile PM 
Andy from Somerset Offline

Posted: April 01 2011, 15:42

The story was first featured in the local paper in an interview they conducted with Andrew Kerr who co-organised the 1971 festival and still lives in Pilton. He is curating the 'Spirit of the 1970's stage this year so I'm sure the story has a lot of substance.

I would have thought the stage is likely to be rather small so I'm guessing its going to be mainly solo stuff with maybe a few guests.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: April 01 2011, 15:43

Susan Boyle will be making a guest appearance singing Mikes Classic "Moonlight Shadow" to I Guess...   :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 01 2011, 17:43

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 31 2011, 16:45)
Update April 1st[/b]: The word from Mike, via Universal, is that he won't be appearing.

Oh thanks a lot Mike - why did you change your mind!!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 01 2011, 18:13

im not suprised!!! :O hehehe..
damn it!!! argh!!!  :(  cross everything you have, maybe one day! ooonnnee daaay!!! maybe he tour

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 02 2011, 05:39

As Mike Oldfield Official uses Tubular net's Twitter in the home page, it is now confusing people!! Not to say the April Fool's excellent items!!!

MO  Official
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: April 02 2011, 10:48

Matt... he giveth and he taketh away.  I was all set to air my Glastonbury thoughts yesterday (after my new phone's internet browsing is holding up to practical usage) and what was the newest of new posts up here?

Oh well.  I was bracing myself anyway as the April 1st window had not yet closed, but that was a quicker denial than I expected.   I guess the only way around this is if the arrangement was supposed to be that Mike would appear as a surprise guest on someone else's bill, and they stick to that plan.  If we were to spend nearly three months speculating on a set-list that he hasn't planned, played by a band he'd have to go the trouble of recruiting, we might have aired our frustrations when we recognised the second guitarist from the left during Steve Hillages' bit.

All this said, Glastonbury one year is far from impossible.  I would be very surprised if Emily Eavis and her team have never put out feelers towards agents representing Mike.  Look at their line-ups over the last decade and you can see that their invitations are diverse and rarely made for ironic or even post-structuralist reasons.  The trick would be finding the time and means.  It's all very well if you are an artist forming part of an existing touring unit but it's a big ask, for a festival slot that could be as short as thirty minutes, to get a special team together.  The typical other times are forty-five minutes and an hour with the headliner able to keep going until curfew.  Although you won't find too many making up a three hour show as they go along - it's usually simply a Glasto-themed version of their usal acts.

If anything does happen don't forget your mobile phones, intrepid festival campers.  With so many stages we'll be lucky if one tune makes it onto the BBC's coverage.  And don't bet on Phil Jupitus doing the links :laugh:

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: April 02 2011, 12:55

If MO will be there please for the community bring along the best possible camera. I hope I'm not asking too much. I could go to Glastonbury but only for one act that is probably not going to happen the risk seems just too high for me. 200 pounds is a lot, well atleast for me it is.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 02 2011, 15:15

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ April 02 2011, 10:48)
 I would be very surprised if Emily Eavis and her team have never put out feelers towards agents representing Mike.  Look at their line-ups over the last decade and you can see that their invitations are diverse and rarely made for ironic or even post-structuralist reasons.

Dunno about that. Mike is so far off the musical radar these days and you're talking about a musician who very, very rarely plays live and even when he does rarely play live very rarely plays music festivals.
Although the line up of Glastonbury is indeed very diverse not many acts of Mike's generation or genre get invited to play the festival at the sort of level I'm sure Mike would like to play it - somewhere approaching a headline slot, even in one of the big tents. They're the only slots that are seen as financially viable from an artists point of view. Roger Waters played the main stage a few years ago on the Sunday evening and kind of went down like a lead balloon. Jean Michel Jarre is out there with a touring band at the moment and he let be known he'd love to play it but as far as I know has yet to be invited. I've always wanted to see Kraftwerk play Glasto but again its yet to happen and they've played loads of festivals in recent years including headlining Coachella in 2009.

I'd love to see Mike play Glastonbury as an act unto himself but given his life and point in career now, semi retired and certainly not gigging, its unlikely to say the least.  
Its a shame though he's not going to turn up with just a guitar and have a jam with old friends at this years festival. Would have been wonderful to see.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: April 03 2011, 02:32

mikeoldfield.org, the official Mike Oldfield information service says:

Mike & Universal have denied rumours that he will appear

:/

http://www.mikeoldfield.org/

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
104 replies since Mar. 31 2011, 11:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net